First Job

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beauty Queen

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first ever post. I am currently doing my City and Guilds Level 2 Beauty and have completed a nails course (masters diploma.) I wasn't planning on doing my level 3 just simply doing an additional body massage qualification.

I was just wondering how I should go about getting into a salon or spa after my level 2 is completed? Is there much opportunity to train on the job within the industry?

Any personal experiences would be much appreciated about your first salon job. Thanks :)

Hello

I own my nail and beauty salon so i suppose my answer will be from that point of view, but others will have that valuable advice for you about their experiences of working for others . I work for myself.

As a salon owner, i would want someone who could do the treatments i offer and more besides. so maybe that is your first area of research. you say nails and massage is what you offer, so get out there and find salons that match what you have to offer.

Secondly. i would send them a cv and tell them you are looking for work. Are you willing to do some free work experience? if so, then tell them that. They may not have a position for you but they may be happy to have you come in and get some practise and who knows from there, it could lead to better things AND you will have had the valuable experience you will need.

Thirdly, get your name out there, if you are doing nails for friends, family etc let them know you are looking for work.

Lastly practise practise and then practise some more.

I can't tell you whether to stay on or not hon, it's not my choice, but I will tell you that I think the more services you have, the more attractive you will be to the right salon.

Some salons do indeed offer training, so if you get that foot in the door, ask them at your interview.

best of luck my dear!

tigi

only take on level three therapists as we do electrical facials. The companies we use insist that the therapist must hold level 3 before we can send them for training.

Hi, this is my first ever post. I am currently doing my City and Guilds Level 2 Beauty and have completed a nails course (masters diploma.) I wasn't planning on doing my level 3 just simply doing an additional body massage qualification.

I was just wondering how I should go about getting into a salon or spa after my level 2 is completed? Is there much opportunity to train on the job within the industry?

Any personal experiences would be much appreciated about your first salon job. Thanks :)
A lot of salons will take you on with a level 2,it would depend on what treatments they offer as to if level 3 were a necessity but even so it is quite possible for you to do your level 3(part time) whilst working part time in a salon.This would obviously have to be negotiated between the salon owner/manager at time of interview.

I would stress on your CV that you are willing to do your level 3 asap if required,this way you could be employed and do what you are qualified to do.The majority of treatments dont involve level 3 anyway ,i.e waxing,facials(non surgi)eyebrow/lash tinting etc so it really shouldn't pose a problem.

You may get a salon that does do a lot of electrical treatments and a lot of electrolysis,or a spa that really requires a therapist to manage all aspects of the salon/spa ie regular checking of chemicals in the spa .In which case this wouldn't really be an appropriate post for you until you were level 3 qualified.

Nails inc could be a good starting point.The one here does mainly nails but also has a salon so that would be very good for someone with your qualifications.Good luck.:hug:

Thank you all ever so much for your advice and help, just want to get into a salon and be working. I think gaining experience is what I want so maybe offering free work is the way to go. Thanks again x :)

Latest posts

Back