Foiling....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glorsclaws

Photographic Geek
Reaction score
Hi just wondered how many peeps wear foils successfully.
At college last night we did this technique. Some peeps had fantastic success, some didnt get it quite right.

Now I have to admit, I dont particularly like foils myself so never wear it.
However, I came home with green nails and silver foil tips curtesy of a student.
This morning, my nails have turned to a stickey mess, the foil is coming off fast and Im left with a sticky adhesive on the tips of my nails.
Yes we used babsecoat, polish was dry before foil went on, sealed with foil sealer etc. ... so,whats happened? ... any ideas anyone?

Why not PM chocolate i think shee is the queen or nail art on here.

I dont often use foils but I saw a demo done by Di Plummer last December and its something I am coming around to.

I personanlly have never had this happpen - maybe she used to much foil adhesive? :confused:

oohh i cant get on with foils, some bits stay on the backing , then its all uneven. There must be a knack to it, but i sure havent found it!

nailfairy said:
oohh i cant get on with foils, some bits stay on the backing , then its all uneven. There must be a knack to it, but i sure havent found it!
Foils are the favourite nail art technique of the teacher I assist with on a Tuesday night, shes been at it for years and gets it right everytime... not-so with a purple metallic one last night!

I used a gold lace foil on black base on one of the students... it came out fantastic, no missing bits anywhere, really lovely but, now Im wondering if she has a stickey mess like I do today.
I never normally wear it so I didnt know this could happen :irked:

Good idea Louise, Ill Pm Choc if on-one else knows the answer!

I really don't like foils Glo too messy by far. My friend katrina does really well with them though as she siad you have to make sure the adhesive is transparent when you apply the foil or it will come off and at least two coats of foil sealer or it tends to peel away and try and stay away from any washing up for a t least 12hours.

HTH hun
x

It could be something to do with the topcoat you used. I have problems with nail art, especially stripping tape, when I use certain topcoats.

scattyfox said:
at least two coats of foil sealer or it tends to peel away and try and stay away from any washing up for a t least 12hours.

HTH hun
x
Ahhh! this may be it then ... I took off my make up and showered within a couple of hours of having it done.... its as if I havent got topcoat/sealer on at all!
Err, ...washing up? ... forget it! :wink2:

I use foils quite a lot, when I have'nt got time to do freehand nail art or airbrushing. I do find that they wear off quickly, but since I found Heatwave, they stay on for as long as 2 weeks.

Have to say, foils are not my most popular type of nail art. Im much prefer foil leafing anyday. You must wait until the adhesive is completely clear and not applied to thickly. A good quality thick top coat that goes under the free edge as well to seal it in. Because the adhesive is water based, if it is not topcoated properly and regulary, the water gets in and it goes yucky.

My best tip is after you have applied the foil and are happy with it, spray a fine mist of hairspray!! Then top coat, and it will last for about 10-14 days!

chocolate said:
Have to say, foils are not my most popular type of nail art.

My best tip is after you have applied the foil and are happy with it, spray a fine mist of hairspray!! Then top coat, and it will last for about 10-14 days!
I really dont like foiling at all actually, fiddly, hit & miss... and then the keeping it on ... pain!!!
Still, I feel I have to cover it nevertheless!
Many thanx for the hairspray tip Rachel .... never thought Id be adding hair spray to my nail art kit.
:hug:

Yeh i read that and thought coool. hairspray whatever next.

thanks Rachel for that little tip.
x

nailfairy said:

I'm exactly the same, i end up with bits missing then within a few days they sort of go slimey and you can scap them off with your nail. Not a pleasent sight!!

Hi Glitzy Girl
What is HEATWAVE please
Jill

Latest posts

Back