French manicure polishes problem

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Debsidoo99

Reaction score
I use creative cream puff and negligee to do my french manicures. The r fabulous colours and wonderful to work with UNTIL i get to about almost half way through the bottle.
Now i am no skinflint and i'm quite happy to buy new bottles if that is the case but should they really be difficult to use ? I've tried adding thinner to some and it works for a bit but the colour doesn't ever seem quite the same and I've tried topping up the bottles so they never become empty. Again this never seems to be as good as a new bottle.
I don't want to change my polishes as I love the colour so what do the rest of u guys do to preserve your bottles ????

I've never tried it, but I heard that keeping your polishes in the fridge makes them last longer.

Debsidoo99 said:
I use creative cream puff and negligee to do my french manicures. The r fabulous colours and wonderful to work with UNTIL i get to about almost half way through the bottle.
Now i am no skinflint and i'm quite happy to buy new bottles if that is the case but should they really be difficult to use ? I've tried adding thinner to some and it works for a bit but the colour doesn't ever seem quite the same and I've tried topping up the bottles so they never become empty. Again this never seems to be as good as a new bottle.
I don't want to change my polishes as I love the colour so what do the rest of u guys do to preserve your bottles ????
Hello stranger, how ya doing...

I really give mine a right old role in my hands upside down but i
have still found with any white that i've tried they always thicken towards the end...not much help I know but at least you know your not on your own :)

I don't think it's only creatives cream puff for French as the white polish I use also does this and thinners made no different. At the mo I have changed to Opi white and it is doing my Frenches fabulously. OPI was recommended to me so perhaps give it a try.

Ohhh like your new avatar Louise - very nice :)

I just thought the same thing!!!

I find that my white polish goes thick!! It think it's just the way of the world hun!! xx

Great to hear from you Louise !! V nice piccy too.
Thanks for all yr replies.
I'll keep buying new bottles then !
Don't it pee you off when you get near the bottom of a bottle too and yr brush doesn't quite get tt the bottom !! Life's a b**ch !
x

I don't even get to the bottom of my bottle and it goes like that ahve tried rolling it in my hands for england but no joy, it seems as soon as it gets air contact it starts thickening up.

I've changed over to point blanc this is a much thinner consistancy and seems better for the moment.
HTH

I've changed over to point blanc this is a much thinner consistancy and seems better for the moment.
HTH[/QUOTE]

Yup, that's what I found with the OPI white and it glides on beautifully. Will have to see how things go when the bottle gets haf way down though, but so far so good.

I think you will find this with most white polishes as it has something to do with the pigment used.

I'm sure there was a thread on here a long time ago where this was explained.

I find that if i do one hand, then close the bottle, give it a shake and then do the other hand, this helps to stop it thickening up.

Such a good memory Talented Talons has!!

ANY brand of French White polish will thicken in the bottle eventually (fridge or not) because of the amount of titanium used in the pigment to make it white.

I changed from using OPI polishes years ago because they all went thick in the bottle. This does not happen with CND enamels apart from the whites that contain titanium. Sorry but you will find it with all whites.

The solution .. pour a few drops of Sticky base coat into your polish and it will come up like new again. Thinners do not work and CND do not sell thinners because their enamels do not thicken with age. For all colours just roll the enamel in your palms and this will thin the enamel for you.

Thanks for that Geeg, i also remember that CND polishes are what you call "thixatropic" i bet i've spelt that wrong.... But this means by rolling them in your hands and agetating them, they thin themselves??

I'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong.

You're right. And you spelled it right to.

Being Thixotropic is the reason that CND enamels do not go thick ... they thicken when standing to reduce the evaporation of the solvents and then they thin again with agitation. I think you should get a Creative Certificate with all the education you have received on the site!! :D :D

Its thanks to this site and Geeks like yourself Geeg that have taught me a hell of a lot, and continue doing so.

I'm so glad it's all finally sinking in.:D Its suprising what you remember at times.

My Creative Cream puff is thick already and it's only 1/4 of the way down so not much used from the bottle, don't mean to hijack the thread but what can I do as this bottle is still fairly new. Any advice anyone?

xxxx

geeg said:
Such a good memory Talented Talons has!!

ANY brand of French White polish will thicken in the bottle eventually (fridge or not) because of the amount of titanium used in the pigment to make it white.

I changed from using OPI polishes years ago because they all went thick in the bottle. This does not happen with CND enamels apart from the whites that contain titanium. Sorry but you will find it with all whites.

The solution .. pour a few drops of Sticky base coat into your polish and it will come up like new again. Thinners do not work and CND do not sell thinners because their enamels do not thicken with age. For all colours just roll the enamel in your palms and this will thin the enamel for you.

Ahhh, just saw this solution, sorry peeps, must have been reading with my eyes closed :)

xxxx

Definately never use thinners if you can help it for any polish as this seems to make them go even thicker quicker.

I'm saying this from personal experience. You end up adding so much thinners that you then need to do about four coats of polish to get a decent coverage...... not a good idea.( takes too long as well...lol)

Brilliant thank so much geeg and you Wendy for your excellent memory. its like that advert " I know a man who can" lol

x

I have had the same problem constantly all summer - I just open the bottle and within a week it is so thick it is unusable. I don't even get a quarter of the way down the bottle - I run a tanning and nail salon and wondered if the humidity in the air during the summer was affecting the enamel. Perhaps the bottles of white should be smaller to save wastage. I will try putting some sticky base coat in as suggested though.

It's simple ... heat makes the solvents in any polish evaporate quicker. Normally and in normal ambient conditions the CND whites last a very long time.

Another factor is how long it takes you to apply a french manicure and how long you are leaving the bottle open whilst doing it.

Latest posts

Back