French Plait Help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NatalieJade

Reaction score
Hi Geeks!

I have never ever been able to get the hang of a french plait, and, I have a client whos asked for one to be done on her wedding day.

Any hints and tips?

I am literally useless at them, and would appreciate any help! :)

Thankyou xx

Get a head block and YouTube videos and practice! Hold good tension and if you have to say out loud your next move :)

I love french plaits, fish tails etc look really nice for weddings. katie1991 got some good advice, look online, really easy tutorials and head blocks are always good to mix it up a bit. I saw one with broaches in, i think pixiewoo did it, very good idea, good luck, and once you get the hang of it you cant stop! xoxo

Just hopping over from the nail board.

Dreamweaver (link)
has fab tutorials and examples of different braids and braid combinations. Rope braids (called twist braids there),a crown or cascading crown braid would also make a lovely wedding look.

Or search for waterfall braids on youtube, that could also be a lovely romantic wedding look, maybe with some loose waves or curls.

Last edited:
I do mainly braiding and plaits. When I was learning cornrows I just practiced and practiced and got there in the end, not always keen on doing them though:wink2:

If you are literally useless at plaits, you own words, just practice lots and lots and obviously also on the bride a few times before hand, I am sure she will let you.

Just explain you are trying different ideas, don't tell her you are useless, I know that sounds obvious but I have stood and listened to girls saying, in front of clients oh I can't do that or I hate doing that or I am rubbish at xxxx.

Once you get the hang of it it is not too hard.

When I was little I used to practice on those rag dolls with the yarn hair. The fact that the yarn kind of creates sections for you anyway makes it ridiculously easy. Every time you cross one section over the top of the braid and into the middle, add one price of yarn. Sounds stupid I know but your hand will learn the movement. Use whatever you have lol even those fringes on an area rug. Dont be daunted by them. You'll catch on quick and then doing it on hair will come more easily. Before you know it you'll be doing innies, outies, Dutch braids and fishtails I promise.

Latest posts

Back