friggin' pink and whites!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaeldees

Reaction score
that's it! i'm over it! done. through.

it's been 5 years i'm a nail tech, and i'm still fighting with these damn pink and whites. would somebody PLEASE just tell me the secret! i know one exists! this is all some sort of sick conspiracy isn't it?!:twisted:

how do the discount salons do it so fast and perfect? (products and cleanliness aside, some shops do amazing work!)

it's just not profitable

and i'm at the end of my rope.....

:cry: michael

Hey Michael!
Welcome to Geekworld! I am sure we can help you - now put that rope away!
What product do you use - L&P, Gel, Fibreglass/silk?
If you are a L&P user this tutorial should give you the answers your after - clicky here
HTH
KxXx

i am using creative perfect color pink and clear, and creative solarnail white. (i don't know why we don't have perfect color white...my salon provides all products, go figure.) retention liquid, and a tammy taylor brush. ( i know i should get a new one but which brand, it's not like you can try one out, they are expensive!)

my problem is that the white sets up too quick for me to get it spread out even and then to get the smile. plus it's all lumpy, thicky. it probably doesn't help that i'm all up in an anxious tiff....sweaty and shaking!! it's ridiculous! especially after 5 years in the biz! you think i'd just relax and get over it!

i have whitepowderphobia!:eek:

Sounds like your mix ratio is out with the white. Check out the tutorial and article sections, heaps of advice on how to get it right in there:)

if you wanna try a really good solid white powder, try OPI absolute "absolutley white", it's amazing, you will have to adjust your ratios, practise makes perfect, it's designed to be used in one application, don't wipe your brush and utilize all the liquid in your brush, pat & push, don't wipe.
I don't like pink & whites (no one has nails this pink or this white in real life) But sometimes if ya can't beat em, you have to join em

michaeldees said:
how do the discount salons do it so fast and perfect? (products and cleanliness aside, some shops do amazing work!)

They cheat. Several weeks ago I was in a small shop by my house to have a manicure and I watched them doing some pink and whites. They put the pink powder over the whole nail and before it sets they use the well end of a tip and scrape off the pink from the end the put the white on....voila. perfect pink and white. They looked good but I'm not sure that's how they're supposed to be done. Seemed to waste alot of product that way.

Firstly you are using the wrong white to work best with Retention+ !! This is not helping :confused: . Perfect White powder is exceptionally white and very creamy and designed to work with retention+ liquid.

In your hot climate you need to work with the white a bit wetter than the normal medium-wet mix. I presume you are air conditioned at work, but the temp will still be warmer than in salons say here in the UK. These things should help you.

michaeldees said:
and a tammy taylor brush.

I was always told that you should use the correct brush for the product!

If you are using Creative products then you should use a Creative brush, the same with OPI, Ez Flow etc.

The brushes are made for the products and this means that if you are using a Tammy Taylor brush with Creative products your mix ratio could be off before you start!!

I know brushes are expensive but the tools of your trade are, it may be worth investing in!!!

Oh and ditto what Geeg said!!!

HTH and good luck!! xx

Nikki said:
I was always told that you should use the correct brush for the product!

If you are using Creative products then you should use a Creative brush, the same with OPI, Ez Flow etc.

The brushes are made for the products and this means that if you are using a Tammy Taylor brush with Creative products your mix ratio could be off before you start!!

I know brushes are expensive but the tools of your trade are, it may be worth investing in!!!

Oh and ditto what Geeg said!!!

HTH and good luck!! xx

Yes a Prostyler brush would be a great brush for you...and it not too expensive and should if well looked after last you for a year......

Also what Geeg says is the way to go you need to get your employer to get perfect white, you will notice a difference in the workability of your product right away.....
also is the angle of your brush nice and flat in zone 1...if not then you will be poking the product not pressing and guiding..then you end up with lumps and that Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia look in zone 1!!!

ME TOO!

I am ready to give up and sell my kit!

Can't afford more training and hate p&w (or rather they hate me)!

Fingertips ND said:
ME TOO!

I am ready to give up and sell my kit!

Can't afford more training and hate p&w (or rather they hate me)!

Vicki!! what are you like..you can't give up!!

xx

I can - i'm bloody fed up with it and it makes it all the more depressing when you see the level of work on here!

Like the lady that trained with NSI two weeks ago - her nails were 100 times better than mine are!

Fingertips ND said:
I can - i'm bloody fed up with it and it makes it all the more depressing when you see the level of work on here!

Like the lady that trained with NSI two weeks ago - her nails were 100 times better than mine are!

it just takes practice matey...mine are far from perfect...you've done to much to give up now!

how about going to nsi open/drop in days? have you been to one?

xXxXxXx

I go to all of em but it's not the same as actually gettin the hands on tutoring!

Fingertips ND said:
I go to all of em but it's not the same as actually gettin the hands on tutoring!

how much do the one to ones cost, are they expensive? maybe a geek could help you out???

do you have a nail trainer?

xx

Yeah got one and it bugs me!

I would practice but with nobody tellin you where your goin wrong or helpin with ratio it kinda puts you off!

Fingertips ND said:
Yeah got one and it bugs me!

I would practice but with nobody tellin you where your goin wrong or helpin with ratio it kinda puts you off!

hmmm that's why i use gel..Lol!

do you use both then chick?

xx

have you thought of looking around for a training video ? then you can learn at your own pace i know OPI do one specifically for absolute, the trouble with doing whites is the consistency of the product, ever noticed the difference with white polish? same thing it's the tinting agent (titanium oxide) that makes them set up faster, don't be frightened to experiment, grab a practise finger, start using super wet consistency and don't panic, it's an automatic reaction to think the product will run (it often doesnt run anywhere) i also angle the finger up a little (rather than down) this allows the slight gravity to come into play and let the product go backwards (gaawd i wish i could give you a demo) i hated the bloody things at first ( i still do, they dont look real enough for me, i think french look superfake) but once i got a grip on altering the product ratio it was a different story, frustration doesn't help either (eventually you will do it on auto-pilot) get a practise finger and a truckload of crap tips and practise, practise, practise

I have been waitin for months now for the l&p dvd to come in at NSI, just rang and they still haven't got it!

Latest posts

Back