gel/l&p

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alison27

Reaction score
hi can anyone tell me how you decide wether to apply gel or l&p on a client. I have got a nail biter in next week and am notsure which to use, also on norm nails is it best to sculpt or tip and overlay, or is it just down to preference.
thanksxx

Sculpt vs tip & overlay on normal nails is down to preference.

Gel vs L&P down to clients preference & techs recommendation of suitablity.

I believe (and will not doubt be corrected if talking out of my bottom!) that L&P is more hardy (not the word I wanted but you know what I mean) so if you have someone active wanting long nails, L&P would be a better option than gel.

well i would say a nail biter is more likely to chew the gels off as they are not as strong under the teeth- even the harder ones, i dont hav any problems applying l&p on nail biters, i always ask the biters and pickers if there are any bits they might fancy picking at (and if there is get rid of it) then they cant make any excuses when they come back for a fill!

ps. in my opinion sculpted is better for biters as glue is not as strong as the bond of l&p and as they tend to have a smaller surface area of nail to work with you want the strongest bond you can achieve.

thanks for your help very much appreciated.

I only use gels by LCN and they vary from the very flexible Bondique which is great for natural nail overlays to the 3 phase Sculpture which is incredibly hard wearing. When I switched from l&p to gel I was told I was making a big mistake as it's not as strong, and definitely no good for nail biters as they need the strength.

In my opinion, only heavy handed people need the strength of l&P (or LCN Sculpture), and I have had many nail biters who have had no success with l&p and had loads of lifting problems, bitten them all off etc etc but have had great successes when I have applied gel.

In the end I think a lot comes down not only to the quality of the product that you use, but also down to the skill of the application. I was originally taught that you should do 'em thick for added strength (not the case as I have subsequently learned) and leave a nice gap at the cuticle end so that when they come back for their weekly maintenance the client thinks they have grown loads (not a very ethical move, and one that I no longer adhere to). I now make sure they are nice and short (not exceeding the finger tip), nice and thin for added flexibility so less risk of lifting, and most importantly no little edges or "Loose ends" that they can get their teeth or picking fingers around.

You could try your preferred system first and if that doesn't work then try the other.
HTH

thanks for your help. i ve just started a new job so im really worried incase they come off.The girl who im replacing is on maternity and has been doin nails 7 years i ve only been doin them 7 months so you can imagine im so stressed out.

I have 3 nail biters on my books and I'd love to hear from anyone who can sculpt on them and how it could be done on a first consultation. I would see it as virtually impossible. All of my nail biting ladies have bitten further than the hyponichium and its difficult enough to get a tip on let alone a form. Each tip is saddled and given a minimum contact area (Ruth you did a fab tutorial on this which helped me alot). My most regular lady has a little finger nail which is no more than 5mm square, thay started off very flat and spoony even but 8 weeks later they are still being bitten but not so much and they dont look so disfigured.. I'm not great at it and the nails are far from perfect but as the finger tips and beds calm down you stand a better chance.
I find gel works best but keping them very slim so they dont end up like little puffs. When the ends of the fingers are tender and swollen, l & p can feel very harsh for them and any impact really hurts. The nail beds seem to change shape quite quickly and wriggle alot under enhancements in the first few weeks, the flexibility gel gives seems to ease any discomfort. They all have trouble keeping them on an have great long winded stories about how this nail or that nail flew off when they opened a car door or whatever but baisically they bite them off by about day 4 and by the end of the week they are back for a fresh set.
2 of them now have at least a little free edge so I'm trying to convert them to NNO to avoid this "flying off" situation. I wait to see later this week if the overlay has all mysteriuosly dissappeared! May be sculpting on them next me thinks..

Good luck!!!

Latest posts

Back