Gel polish over express tips?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chloenicholex

Beauty therapist level 1 - Training for L2 & 3
Reaction score
Quick question:

If I stuck a full clear nail on (an express nail, not a tip), would gel polish apply nicely over the top or so I need some sort of acrylic or something similar??

You’d be best waiting until your apprenticeship/training has started as enhancements should be fully explained

That’s not an answer to my question so please don’t reply with something irrelevant. Thanks

You are SO rude.
That's two long time, well known, helpful Geeks she's been rude to, I can guess how much support she'll be getting going forward

Well here is something relevant Chloe . If you are to get the help on this site that you not only want but clearly need it would be a good idea to stop insulting people that have been around here since you were just a baby in nappies and know their stuff such as cinderalla71 and myself who are just trying to help . You should take a long hard look at your attitude I am afraid

I do not mean to come across rude but I’m annoyed that some people are disrespectful to myself as I come to ask questions and I get replies telling me I should get trained or I shouldn’t do this at all. Cinderella71 apologies for the way I spoke to you.

Let’s get this right, I’m a month away from starting an apprenticeship in nails.. I’ve just bought a lamp, and all the nail stuff I need to practise at home as she recommended I do so, so I’m not going into the apprenticeship with no knowledge. I’m here to hopefully get support on questionable I’m asking and I respect many of you who want me to do well and should just wait until I’m trained but either way I’m practising at home with knowledge of the internet.. if I ask questions that seem so stupid or irrelevant than please help me to correct my self instead of criticism and telling me to get trained first.

Thanks for your time

I do not mean to come across rude but I’m annoyed that some people are disrespectful to myself as I come to ask questions and I get replies telling me I should get trained or I shouldn’t do this at all. Cinderella71 apologies for the way I spoke to you.

Let’s get this right, I’m a month away from starting an apprenticeship in nails.. I’ve just bought a lamp, and all the nail stuff I need to practise at home as she recommended I do so, so I’m not going into the apprenticeship with no knowledge. I’m here to hopefully get support on questionable I’m asking and I respect many of you who want me to do well and should just wait until I’m trained but either way I’m practising at home with knowledge of the internet.. if I ask questions that seem so stupid or irrelevant than please help me to correct my self instead of criticism and telling me to get trained first.

Thanks for your time

Chloe, I appreciate the apology to Ciderella, it's shows great manners and I'm sure it's appreciated. Everyone on here is a professional, we've spent many hundreds, if not thousands, of pounds on training. Hours and hours of blood (literally when you're practising), sweat (especially in this heat) and tears (many, many, many!) getting to where we are, learning, perfecting, making mistakes and learning some more. When people post who have clearly not had any formal training (we know you haven't, the questions you are asking are so out of place) we will always recommend that formal training is the first place to start. We won't tell you how to do express nails, how to adhere tips, etc., especially when you are trying to do things all wrong (it demonstrates your lack of training). Once you have a basic foundation, most of your questions will be answered, we will then happily help you tweak and extend your knowledge, with tips and tricks, but we will not teach you basics. It would be unprofessional of us, and not useful for you. This is the beginning of your career, start out right, well educated in your chosen skills and you will succeed and fly.

When we say wait until you do your course, don't take offense, it really is in your best interests. You might not like that advice, but just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it's not right.

I understand what you mean and I would wait until my training but I just want a head start. Il watch some YouTube videos and give things a go. As many people out their will be self taught I suspect.

Il probably be posting more questions and that’s fine if you wish to reply or not as you’ve said you’d be happy to help once I’m trained but for the mean time that’s fine if not.

I do have knowledge of nails, as I’m qualified in level 1 beauty where I have done nail prep, manicure, pedicure, lots of other things.. I just have questions that would help me along the way that’s all

I understand what you mean and I would wait until my training but I just want a head start. Il watch some YouTube videos and give things a go. As many people out their will be self taught I suspect.

Il probably be posting more questions and that’s fine if you wish to reply or not as you’ve said you’d be happy to help once I’m trained but for the mean time that’s fine if not.

I do have knowledge of nails, as I’m qualified in level 1 beauty where I have done nail prep, manicure, pedicure, lots of other things.. I just have questions that would help me along the way that’s all

But a head start in the wrong direction is not a head start - I understand your enthusiasm, and it's great, but you are not helping yourself trying to run before you walk.

You might also want to spend a bit of time reading old threads instead of starting new ones about the same stuff we've already discussed many many times. Use the search facility

I’ve been into the salon I’m starting at, and she’s showed me how to apply an express nail.. but with normal glue and I’ve had my nails done in the past where they have applied acrylic to stick it down so it lasts longer.

I’m just practising the way she showed me to apply the nail and how she showed me to apply the gel polish (even know I’m qualified in gel) so I get use to her ways of application.

And I didn’t know to search for old threads, il do that

I’ve been into the salon I’m starting at, and she’s showed me how to apply an express nail.. but with normal glue and I’ve had my nails done in the past where they have applied acrylic to stick it down so it lasts longer.

I’m just practising the way she showed me to apply the nail and how she showed me to apply the gel polish (even know I’m qualified in gel) so I get use to her ways of application.

And I didn’t know to search for old threads, il do that

I've never heard of express nails being secured with acrylic, it's a very odd thing to do. If you are going to use acrylic as adhesive why not just do a full set using the acrylic in the first place????

Is she classing 'express nails' as 'weekend nails' or a 'fast service'?. Weekend nails being tips applied with adhesive but no overlay product so they literally last the weekend, or is she using a 'pop it' or 'mould' method where you fill the mould with product then apply it to the nail then pop off the mould once it's set? I suppose this is kind of using acrylic to stick them down but it's not a tip over the top the mould is removed.

I think you need to clarify what service she's offering and the full method, it seems a bit mix and match

No noo this was done at a local salon in my area. They stuck acrylic onto a full clear nail and stuck onto my nails.. then applied gel polish and some gems. I had it done for my prom and they cost £35.

I also found it very odd when she done this. I think she said they were ‘I Nails’.

No noo this was done at a local salon in my area. They stuck acrylic onto a full clear nail and stuck onto my nails.. then applied gel polish and some gems. I had it done for my prom and they cost £35.

I smell a dodgy salon, that's not how nail extensions are applied, what a con! :mad:

I smell a dodgy salon, that's not how nail extensions are applied, what a con! :mad:

I will not be returning to them. I did not think this was right when I had them done either. Do you have any recommendations for strong nail glue?

I've just googled I-nails - not sure what the difference is between those and Elegant Touch stick on nails you buy in Boots or Primark or Poundland. Apart from the lamp curing element - none of it makes sense, acrylic isn't cured under a lamp it cures in approx 90 seconds. They're certainly not what I class as a professional product, or a professional service.

Do you have any recommendations for strong nail glue?

The strength isn't in the adhesive, it's in the structure of the nail and the overlay product.

Ok thank you very much for your help I do appreciate it. One last question .. I’m not sure if you’ll answer as you might just say wait for your training but ...

As you say it’s the overlay product to strengthen the nail not the glue.. would uv gel strengthen the nail? I have clear and white uv gel but I’ve just re ordered some boxes of nails..

Ok thank you very much for your help I do appreciate it. One last question .. I’m not sure if you’ll answer as you might just say wait for your training but ...

As you say it’s the overlay product to strengthen the nail not the glue.. would uv gel strengthen the nail? I have clear and white uv gel but I’ve just re ordered some boxes of nails..

Thats a very mixed up question Chloe - I said the strength is in the structure of the nail and the overlay product, what I meant is the way the nail is constructed with the product is the strength. A hard Gel nail can be just as strong as an acrylic nail IF properly structured with stress apex placement, etc.

UV gel could be anything, gel polish, smoothing gel, builder gel, base coat, top coat - you need to be more specific both in your questions and in what products you want to use and what you want to achieve.... and yes, most of this SHOULD be answered in your training...only if your training is good quality though. There are lots of very bad, cheap, one day training courses out there, be very careful - good training ain't cheap and cheap training ain't good. Same for nails, good nails ain't cheap and cheap nails ain't good! And in answer to the question, any overlay, of any product will provide some level of strength and protection, whether it's the right level for that client is down to thorough consultation before starting and agreeing what the client is expecting/wanting and what you can provide to get them where they want to be. That could be nothing more than a long lasting normal polish and top coat, or a full set of extensions.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back