Gel polish over express tips?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The UV gel I have is French manicure gel. I understand builder gel would make it stronger as it’s similar to how acrylic liquid and powder is but gel like. I just want something underneath the gel polish to strengthen up the nail and make it last longer

The UV gel I have is French manicure gel. I understand builder gel would make it stronger as it’s similar to how acrylic liquid and powder is but gel like. I just want something underneath the gel polish to strengthen up the nail and make it last longer

What brand of Gel Polish are you using? Some have their own strengthening base coats, CND recommend a layer of Duraforce topcoat before colour coats for instance, CJelP have their new All About The Base extra strong base coat, The Gel Bottle have 'Builder in a Bottle' - it really depends on your chosen brand. You need to stick within your brand and not mix and match.

Ok I will bare that in mind for next time I purchase gels. Builder gel would make it stronger though right? Or is that not to be put onto a nail as suppose to build the actual nail

As the op is as yet unqualified I am moving this thread to ‘Ask a Pro’.
I think at this time the best advice is as Ciderella said, you are best waiting until your apprenticeship/training has started.

Chloe, what I would say is that your keeness to learn is extraordinary, and you should cherish that!

If I read your post correctly, your tutor for your apprentiship specifictly told you to go home and practice before starting your apprentiship at their salon If I were you, I would actually contact your tutor and ask them for specific details on this. For example, questions I would want to have answered would be: What exactly it is that they want you to practise? What products would they advice you to use to get started. What do they expect you to know when you start? You may obv have other, more specific questions.

Your tutor will know exactly what they are planning to teach you when you starts, so they will be the best to help you. :)

My tutor has taught me her way of doing gel polish, as I was taught it a different way in college. So I’m currently practising her way as it’s her salon after all haha.

She kept asking me if I’d done any sort of nail art so I’m just asking questions related, such as glitter and how to make the nail stronger with certain products.

She knows I did level one beauty so I know a manicure/pedicure, so she’s interested that I know how to prepare the nail.. the first thing she wants me to do is express nails and art so I’m just trying to get a head start. Thank you for seeing my eagerness to learn haha, not everyone sees this :)

That sounds brill, as you say though, there are many ways of doing something, so personally, I wouldn't practise something she hasn't specificly shown you how she want it done. I think like you say, practising her way of polishing, or for example her way of performing a manicure and nail prep is a great start, you know how to do it your way, now you just need to train yur brain to do it her way.

Anthing else, I think I would just be annoyed I spent time trying to learn how to do something myself, only to find out my tutor teaches me to do it in a different way, or with different products etc, it's so much harder to re-learn something.
Also, the last thing you want to do is spend a lot of money on products that are the wrong ones, or you'll never use again. Been there done that, and my bank balance wasn't happy. :)

Play with the products you have, maybe practise some nail art with your gel polishes, like you said, she's keen for you to pick that up so you can always get a head start with that!

Yeh Il definitely do that. And when I said do it her way.. I meant like adapt what I’ve learnt into her ways of doing the treatment as her treatments are more advanced. Thanks so much for your help and support

Quick question tho: can you apply gel polish over tips? Or do you need something like gel builder to thicken up before applying gel?

You sure can apply gel polish on tips, however it is t going to last very well. The tip doesn’t provide any strength or structure, a tip is simply a base platform to which you would build upon, see it as a replacement for a real natural nail, and similarly they break easily without the aid of something stronger.

Why don’t you, as an experiment, try on yourself? There is no better learning than trying and analysing your results!

You sure can apply gel polish on tips, however it is t going to last very well. The tip doesn’t provide any strength or structure, a tip is simply a base platform to which you would build upon, see it as a replacement for a real natural nail, and similarly they break easily without the aid of something stronger.

Why don’t you, as an experiment, try on yourself? There is no better learning than trying and analysing your results!

Yes iv ordered a few things to have a try on my self. I’ve ordered a bunch of gel polishes and glitter uv gel builders.. like to see how they both apply and wear

Latest posts

Back