Gel powder, is there such a thing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khendratna

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I had a client come in the other day with what looked like acrylic on her nails. She said that the last nail tech used "gel powder". It really did not look like gel, nor did it come off like gels. So i just wanted to know, if there is such a thing as gel powder? NAd if it is gel, why the heck is it a powder form??? And also, if it IS acrylic, can u fill if wit "real " gel??? Or is it best to remove then start over again? thx

tina

Hi everyone,

I had a client come in the other day with what looked like acrylic on her nails. She said that the last nail tech used "gel powder". It really did not look like gel, nor did it come off like gels. So i just wanted to know, if there is such a thing as gel powder? NAd if it is gel, why the heck is it a powder form??? And also, if it IS acrylic, can u fill if wit "real " gel??? Or is it best to remove then start over again? thx

tina

Ive never heard of gel powder , but i have heard of Uv acrylic maybe it was that? x

i once had a client who also said the same thing i found out it was done in a nail bar by a vietanemes (sorry bad spelling) man the product was like acrylic powder but was different because was gel but with no Uv lamp. I'm still very confused why its called gel but it is. You use the same monomer as acrylic to! hmmmm

I would suggest taking it off and starting over with your products.

Hi, I think it is probably acrygel! That is what I use, it is a gel and acrylic powder!

I believe acrylgel is really acrylic powder. This is just what I've read but i believe it is supposed to be odorless, non yellowing and more flexible like gel hence the name but it is still a powder. I would not say necessarily that she went to a NSS. Acrylgel, if that's what they used, is a professional product.

THey dont use acrygel in nss salons, noo way. Its too gentle! lol

You cant soak off acrygel, its just another kind of gel with a strengthener powder. I like the stuff but i like to soak off so gave up gel.

I have heard of powder gel myself, but im non the wiser on what it is..sorry.

Are you sure it's not like in the NSS, people think they're having gels as they get placed under the lamp right at the end of the treatment - even though they've had acrylics, I'm pretty sure in NSS they advertise as gel nails when in actual fact (from what I think I once read on here), they're not. :)

Also, I use a UV topcoat that people may also tell others is a gel and assume they've had gel nails - not that I advertise that.

I have had clients that have had enhancements done at our local discount.. and when i start to apply my gel they are like .. ermmm thats not gel is it.. its not what i had before.. so i ask how they did it.. basically mixed a powder and a liquid then applied a top coat to go under a lamp and presto they have a gel enhancement.. one lady said the woman sitting next to her was having acrylics.. she said i thought it was a bit weird that she had the same thing as me but no lamp lol.. bless her.. big word CON ..

but i thnk there is a thing called gel powder am sure it was answered in a post somewhere.. i cant find it now though..

Sarah xx

I had some done which was gel, it was powder that when mixed turned into gel and applied like gel and was cured under a lamp but it was 15 years ago!

I have a couple of NSS nails bars near me. They offer Acrylic and Gel and actually have two pots on the manicure desk.....one marked Arcylic and other marked Gel.
They are in fact both Arcylic but they actually charge £2 more to clients who think they are getting Gel nails. They don't even get a gel top coat. Surely this should not be allowed because clients are not getting what they are paying for. I have had a few clients come to me after a visit to a nail bar for 'Gel Nails' which have turned out to be L&P

Hi I know this was a long time ago, but if anyone is interested still, Yes you can use a powder form when you mix it was liquid it turns into a gelm you can also use a gel that is acrylic (what I use myself on clients) it doesn't soak off .. Hope this helps

Latest posts

Back