Gel ??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lellipop

Lelli Loo Loo
Reaction score
I usually do my sister in laws nails, But she has been working away and went to a salon instead. She had gel applied and was quite pleased with them (she was a biter), I hadn't seen them until today :confused: She had them in-filled last week and well they look strange, They haven't lifted but look a kind off opaque colour in places, The smile lines are so lop sided lol
She wants me to sort them, But I am not sure whether to remove them or buff down and hope this opaque look goes???
Any suggestions

Hi Lesley,

If I was you, I'd buff one nail down and see if the stain goes. Let us know what it is.

I know Gel can go opaque round the edges when lifting occurs but there is no lifting ??

Is it just old product discolouration? I believe gel discolours more than L&P unless it has a UV top coat applied - where's all the gel techs, they'll know!! :D

I'm not 100% sure but it could be pocket lifting. I've heard other techs talk about this on other threads, where the product has lifted from the nail plate...

I had a client who had gel enhancements the day after they were dull like you have described... i had thoroughly preped and all that the nail plate was dry also when i applied the gel...

I use Brisa and was told to work the base coat (1st application) of pink well into the nail plate...have done others since and they have been fine.
Try searching for pocket lifting and see if this gives you any ideas

I have never had pocket lifting with gel, But I do tend to scrub in my first layer of gel. I will have a look around the site for clues ;)
Thanks

From what I've seen, (don't know any brands..) But some gel systems seem to go whitish opaque and look awfull..... It may just be the gel...

Its IBD clear gel with white gel on tips :confused:

lell said:
Its IBD clear gel with white gel on tips :confused:

We don't see much IBD out here at the ends of the earth so I can't comment...

If it were me, I'd get in there, give em a buff down and find out... Either way, if it don't look nice, removing the product will deal to it! HTH

.. I have seen gel also go opaque if dust from filing hadn't been properly cleaned off before application...

Hi
The opaqueness you refer to can indeed be pocket lifting, this is where the gel has shrunk away from the nail plate during the curing process and as time has gone one lifted further away. The only rectification is to buff off and reapply.
Is the gel applied thickly? This can attribute to pocket lifting, as can insufficient nail plate prep and undercuring.
I have used ibd and never found it to discolour at all as most high end gels now do not discolour at all.

HTH
Clare

Latest posts

Back