Gift vouchers expired

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here here!
It's good PR (as I said in a previous post ) to honour any voucher that's out-of-date.
And for every 10 you sell, statistically there's probably one that NEVER gets redeemed, so you're hardly likely to be out of pocket, in fact you profit through selling vouchers. It's a win/win situation.
If you refuse point blank to honour an out-of-date voucher, you risk that potential client going off in a huff and badmouthing your business to all her friends, acquaintances and family. No thanks, I can do without that for my business!

I agree if the voucher is only valid for 3 months to honour for a bit longer, but part of me feels with my vouchers if they don't come within the year are they really going to be a regular anyway are they really interested in having treatments?

Becki xxx

Ps. I have extended vouchers past my year date but only by a month.

"Absolutely ... vochers are a special offer for a limited time (usually to bring new custom during what we know will be a quiet period. We use them for a purpose"

I disagree to be honest, we sell vouchers in order to ensure they will be coming to us in a competitive market.

From a client's point of view they're paying money for them (or for someone else if it's a present) to use your services- and waylaying that by using a voucher

We do hair extensions and hair replacements, so admittedly theres a larger turn-around in time between visits.

However, I got a voucher for a restaraunt for my Birthday last year (for £50.00)...and having kids just never got around to it, however I then turned up when the voucher was TWO weeks out of date for them to tell me it wasnt vaild. So they made £50.00........for nothing. i'll never eat there again, and none of my friends will either.....

We don't have expiry dates for our salon- as it's opening a can of worms down the line. Why invent a reason to pee-off a client with an arbitary expiry date? The tenner you might lose on the voucher might be nothing compared to the 10 or 12 people your prospective client bad-mouths you to.

Last edited:
I must admit that I never really understood the reason behind voucher expiry dates...i've worked in a couple of places where we've had dates to enforce, and you only end up p*ssing the client off, and losing yourself a long-term client.

The only iron-clad reason I've ever been able to come up with for having to enforce them was.."Because I said so". That to me is not good customer service. Reading the posts on here so far, I've still not seen any reasons good enough to satisfy my curiosity!!!

But if someone takes more than 12 months to turn up with a now-expired gift voucher, they're not exactly regulars are they? I'm all for keeping the clients happy, but I;m not willing to be cajoled into honouring any well-out-of-date voucher.

Also, I wouldn't dream of even trying to use an expired gift voucher myself, I just kick my own shins for not using it before it expired and chuck it away. That's just me I suppose. I guess there are some more audacious people out there who will try their luck, and I hope it never happens with my vouchers.

I've only got one un-redeemed voucher out there at the moment, and the recipient called me a couple of weeks ago saying she's lost it. Because I know who bought it for her and keep good records, I've of course told her I'll honour it - see I'm not that hard!

Latest posts

Back