Glitter acrylic

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sweatpea

Reaction score
I'm beginning to play around with glitters and pigments How do you nail techs work on a full set of glitter/coloured acrylic extensions?

So far I have been mixing my glitter/pigment with clear powder and applying to the 3 zones as I would with just a natural application. I then cap with clear acrylic and buff to finish.

I've seen some techs apply a clear base of acrylic before applying the glitter so I'm not too sure how I should be doing it.

Help a newbie out here...!

xxx

Sometimes pigments leave residue on the nail and in order to avoid this we use a clear base. Not to mention that if you want a colour design change you only need to buff it down, instead or removing it completely. So a clear base just saves you time on the removal process.
Either way works just fine, it's really up to you.

Sometimes pigments leave residue on the nail and in order to avoid this we use a clear base. Not to mention that if you want a colour design change you only need to buff it down, instead or removing it completely. So a clear base just saves you time on the removal process.
Either way works just fine, it's really up to you.
I'm going to give the clear base a go this evening. Makes a lot more sense! Would i build this base thinly and begin at zone three working down towards the cuticle?

Quite so, considering you are going to add a layer of pigment and another clear layer to cap, you don't want to make your first layer thick.
As for application, whatever works for you.
I had stayed off acrylics for quite some time and I'm back at school for a refresher course so I'm really not the person to advise on that!

Im a newbie, I've been a nail enthusiast for years so I knew the basics but there's a lot to learn when it comes to nails. Im only doing my training. I've always got questions I'd like to ask, and asking fellow nail geeks seems like a great way to gain confidence but I find people can be very judgemental on here and it puts me off asking.

Thank you for your reply :) x

Has your training covered acrylic application yet?

Yes but it doesn't go into depth regarding glitter and pigments.
I work mainly with acrylic and most sets have glitter. I put a very thin layer of clear underneath however as it will also need capped in clear after the glitter you need to work extremely thinly.
Some techs lift up a bead of clear and dip it in the glitter then apply. I struggle with this method for full coverage as it makes the nail too bulky so I always premix a small amount. I buy the disposable paper pots on eBay (like the McDonald's ketchup ones lol) if there's any left I stack them and keep as I'll use it again.

I work mainly with acrylic and most sets have glitter. I put a very thin layer of clear underneath however as it will also need capped in clear after the glitter you need to work extremely thinly.
Some techs lift up a bead of clear and dip it in the glitter then apply. I struggle with this method for full coverage as it makes the nail too bulky so I always premix a small amount. I buy the disposable paper pots on eBay (like the McDonald's ketchup ones lol) if there's any left I stack them and keep as I'll use it again.
Ahhh disposable paper pots :) what a great idea, will definitely need to get some of those.

What ratio do you use for your glitters? I've been dipping the clear bead in the glitter so far but I am looking to experiment a bit til i find my comfort zone x

Ahhh disposable paper pots :) what a great idea, will definitely need to get some of those.

What ratio do you use for your glitters? I've been dipping the clear bead in the glitter so far but I am looking to experiment a bit til i find my comfort zone x
I use 3:1. If I'm doing a glitter fade or over a coloured acrylic I'll just dip in and use a wetter bead

Latest posts

Back