Good Customer Service...What is it?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeni Giles

Reaction score
I posed this question to my students this morning and thought I'd share the results. It was rather insightful as to what the younger generations percieve to be good service.

Attentive, focused and pleasant were among the top descriptions listed, they felt that they must be greeted, by name, upon arrival, have the undivided attention of the service provider and be treated as though they were the only ones in the place of business, whether it was a salon, resturaunt, or retail store.

Next in line came communication and quality service. Being understood and treated with respect as their wishes or desires were explained, and then have the service delivered with quality. The quality wasn't as big of a concern as the understanding and respect.

The very bottom of their list was speed, they thought if the actual service was given with a pleasant demeanor and in a comfortable atmosphere that it didn't really matter how long the actual service took.

Now, the whole point in sharing this is that when we experience something pleasant, unless it really sticks out in our mind and is shocking or unexpected to be as pleasant as it was, we tell no one about it. We very seldom share the good things with our friends and family. In our informal poll in class this morning, of 68 people who had thought of a good service experience they only told 1 or 2 people about the business where it occured. On the flip side, they told everyone they knew about the bad experiences.

Their idea of a bad service was: poorly dressed, talking to others or on the phone, not greeting them, running behind, talking down to them or not taking their needs or wants seriously and their NUMBER 1 complaint: not being on time/ being made to wait or the service taking longer than expected in an uncomfortable environment ( I found that humerous as they are usually late to class....HMMM)

I just thought I'd share this, as we are all constantly looking for ways to build or maintain our clientele, it may give us ideas to implement or behaviours to watch out for. If the future stylists and technicians feel this way it is probably safe to think our clients do also.

I'll be away for a few days, gorging myself on turkey and pumpkin, in the usual American fashion, so Happy Thanksgiving to all of you my geeky friends, you truly are something to be thankful for!!!

Thats really useful to know, Im sure other geeks will think the same x x

That's funny as it's usually the clients being late in the first place that put us behind. I don't think running late is too much of a probem provided you make the client aware of it as soon as they arrive.

My main gripe about customer service is when people can't be bothered ... to acknowledge you etc, and when you ask have they got something in stock and they answer "i Don't know" - well can you go and find someone who does is normally my reply!

However to me the best customer service is found when dealing with a complaint. Sure we all get things wrong, but it's how you handle that situation that makes your customer service shine or stink.

What's really interesting is that we rely on word of mouth and we are heavily reliant on others to pass it on and I don't believe most people do.

In fact, I know people who won't say who their hairdresser is, for example, because then everyone would want them.

Sassy, I agree about the complaint thing.

Customer service to a certain extent comes down to manners and respect for other's time and experience and knowledge.

Everybody then has the facility to give good customer service but to give great customer service is just that little bit more difficult as it takes tact and patience.

Lots of companies don't seem to make an effort with their customer service and gear it to the size of your business to them.

As a one person salon, I didn't get the service that a larger salon got in my town despite the fact that their rep used to come to the other salon. Maybe in 5 years time I might have 10 salons (yeah right LOL) and will I buy my supplies from that company - hmm let me think.

As more and more nail technicians set up from home there are several companies out there that are not benefitting from this industry as they impose extortionate minimum orders so we just don't buy from them.

We all know who gives great customer service and we must remember this when the PB awards come round LOL - vote with your pencils!

Latest posts

Back