Got to have a moan... sorry!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadAboutNails

Reaction score
I have heard recently (in my local area) that someone is going to do nails in a shop and she isn't even qualified!:eek: Surely this isn't allowed is it? It doesn't do the industry any favours!

Makes me mad:evil: ...... you wouldn't go to a beauty therapist for a treatment without knowing they were properly trained would you? Thing is you get the general public not batting an eyelid as long as they get their nails on...they don't seem to care some of them. If it's cheaper than the salon rate then it's almost like no questions asked!?!!!

I know threads like this or similar have been posted before but I really had to get it off my chest.... It bugs the hell out of me!

Sorry... I'll go off an do my Yosemite Sam impression now!!!!

Don't worry, as in all professions there are those people who are prepared to pay cheap, and frankly shouldn't be surprised when they get cheap.

However, it is becoming clear that people are getting clued up about nail technicians, and what makes a good and bad service. So if she is unqualified word will get around, especially if he work is below par. Just get ready for the fallout of clients to you!

It will also mean that she will not be insured.

Hi

I fully agree with you there M A N it also takes work away from qualified techs who have worked hard to gain their qualifications.

Its the same with beauty therapists who go to college for years to learn their jobs thoroughly and then you get the ones who go on 1 and 2 day courses and consider themselfs qualified when they are blatantly not. Again these underqualified people are taking away clients from therapists.

I wouldn't let an unqualified technician or so called therapist within 10 Cm's of my skin or nails.

This is just My opinion though, others may of course feel differently.

The trouble is most people assume that the beauty therapist / hair dresser / nail technician etc is qualified. Clients dont ask when they are booking an appointment if you are actually qualified to do the treatment ... they only question it when the service is crap and then say "ooh thought it was cheap" or whatever (although that isnt always the case either).

The one thing I have realised lately is there is no point worrying about what everyone else is or isnt doing correctly ... I am spending the time making myself the best I can be. Also the people who only want to pay "cheap" would never have been my clients anyway so I am not losing them to these places.

:hug: :hug:

I'd echo Sassy - before I did a course on nails I'd been wearing them for years and therefore made sure that I knew what products were being used on my nails, where the tech had trained, the price I would expect to pay and the quality I should expect (i.e. if a trainee is doing the nails) etc. The general public know more than you think so just bide your time and that someone will soon disappear!

I have to agree, just sit tight, do the best kickass nails you can. Offer the very best in customer service and professionalism and ride it out. I can't tell you how many people have set up around me, either in a shop or mobile, and a few months down the line, they have packed up and faded away. There are only two decent techs in the immediate vicinty (that i know of...... Jacky and me) and we will be here long after everyone else has come, done their thing and gone again. So don't sweat it hun, just do your thing and be your own person!!

Joey said:
The one thing I have realised lately is there is no point worrying about what everyone else is or isnt doing correctly ... I am spending the time making myself the best I can be. Also the people who only want to pay "cheap" would never have been my clients anyway so I am not losing them to these places.

Such a good point! My sentiments exactly too.

Question? How long does a crap hairstylist stay in business? NOT long.

How long do you think a crap nail technician stays in business?

Question? Do a few crappy hairdressers ruin the reputation of the whole hair indistry?

Why do you think a few crappy nail technicians ruin the reputation of the whole nail industry?

Where is the difference?? Forget it. Get your own head down and be the best you can be and uphold your standards and that of other professionals..

Joey said:
The trouble is most people assume that the beauty therapist / hair dresser / nail technician etc is qualified. Clients dont ask when they are booking an appointment if you are actually qualified to do the treatment ... they only question it when the service is crap and then say "ooh thought it was cheap" or whatever (although that isnt always the case either).

:hug: :hug:

I have to say I normally come across people the opposite... Ie when im doing a treatment ie a facial, or indeed nails, some clients ususally drop in to the conversation -- " so do You have to go to college to learn this???" It really infuriates me, Im like " Yes Full time 2 years" ,and bark on about how we had to loads of anatomy & physiology etc etc... They are probably sorry they asked. Maybe its the people round here! I could understand if i was rubbish, but im not! (not barking up my own tree there!) Some times I feel so looked down upon!!

I think that one of the reasons why us techs get so wound up about these things is that we pay out alot of money, hard work, ups and downs, wondering if we should throw the towel in or carry on etc ..... so that we can be the best at what we do. It's not very nice when you see people swanning in from no where.......thinking they can just pick up a brush after a day course and open a salon.

I do agree with what geeg said about how long crap techs stay in business and that we should concentrate on our own standards, but like I say I do understand why other techs get angry about it. Heaven knows ......I do!

I have heard recently (in my local area) that someone is going to do nails in a shop and she isn't even qualified!:eek: Surely this isn't allowed is it? It doesn't do the industry any favours!

Well this is just an accident waiting to happen, isn't it...........
No Qualifications means no insurance.........no insurance is a blatant break of any industry rules.........
It certainly will not do her any favours nor the shop she is working from when someone is hurt, even a simple accident with the monomer over a clients nice new outfit wouldn't be covered...........Silly girl, lets just hope the shop owner is a bit more clued up and will insist on insurance, then the no qualification matter will be dealt with too.........

Hi, thanks for your posts. It really does annoy me though. I guess it's up to the trained techicians to continue to educate our clients ...and the general public too.

The shop where this person is apparently setting up is in a boutique, family run business and I'd imagine the owners really don't know a thing about the industry and they sell cheap/discount clothing ...... maybe that says it all! I guess we'll have to wait and see!

Meantime, I will take your advice, ignore it and do the hottest, blingy-ist, sexy-ist nails I can! :D

Latest posts

Back