Hair colouring after chemotherapy

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicolaluise

Reaction score
I have a client who is wanting to colour her hair, she had her last chemo session on sept 8th 2011, she's has been advised by her nurse to have a veggie or henna colour.

I'm a mobile hairdresser and use L'Oreal exclusively so I'm in need of a bit of help, can any of you clever geeks suggest anything please?

I've done a search on here and cannot find anything :(

Also being mobile there's certain products not available to me, like Aveda.

Thanks in advance peeps xx

I failed to mention that she did lose all of her hair and it's about an inch long now, with a lot more grey than used to be present. She want to be around a base 6 x

My experience in this area is low but I used to use dia colour gelee on my old bosses mum after she had chemo

I believe that you could use L'oreal INOA as it is ammonia free. I was under the impression that they advice against colouring because the hair may be weak, INOA is gentle on the hair as it doesnt use ammonia to open the hair cuticle to penetrate the colour. I can't be sure though, perhaps another geek can shed some light.

Dia is ammonia free too, also matrix.color sync and these are better than that greasy rubbish ;)

I failed to mention that she did lose all of her hair and it's about an inch long now, with a lot more grey than used to be present. She want to be around a base 6 x

google herbatint :)

Have you called your brand? I'm sure they would advise. Has this lady not been offered a wig? X

I have rang herb uk and they recommended herbatint.
Loreal don't have anything I can get my hands on without a large outlay, it would only be for a few months until we can start using gelee again.

thanks for all your help :D

My client has a wig but she also has her own hair now, which would be much nicer for her feel more like herself again.

hi there i used inoa on my mothers hair after chemo therapy - god rest her soul she was desperate to get rid of the wig even though it looked amazingly real :)
the scalp and hair can change texture dramatically and the individual is left wide open to infection even years after chemo has finished so just be so careful. the nurses said to us to try henna but it smelled awful and didnt give good grey coverage.
id call lorael if thats who you normally use and ask them, just whatever you decide make it gentle and check it more than usual!
hope you get a colour that suits your needs hon x

i would recommend a ammonia free or herbal tint, definatly not henna...its really hard to shift. I would also chuck in a (freebie) nice deep scalp conditioning treatment for the hair as this new hair will be slightly weaker, and there may be spilt ends. xoxo

Sorry not replied to anyone, the hunt is still on! I'm now thinking wella colour fresh as it doesn't require separate releaser... Amy opinions? Xx

I thought a little update to you all re the colour after chemo :D

I rang Wella in the end and they advised me to use the colour fresh, i got it, did a skin test and carried the colour out the following day.

It did exactly as I wished, gave the client a subtle colour, no reactions and minimal outlay for me.

Thanks for all your help ... Salon geek is such a lifeline at times! Xx

Latest posts

Back