Hair won't seem to take colour

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lizziebabe

Reaction score
Good morning all

I have a lady coming in Saturday wanting something different, her hair has about 2 inches of grey (salt and pepper) darker in places, her ends is blonde around an 8 and is shoulder length.I use wella koleston perfect and we are looking to do a coppery red. I have tested everything from 8/43 right down to 6/43 and nothing seems to be holding on the ends, when I rinse the strand test the colour just seems to do nothing except go a bit more golden, I am worried that the roots will go desired shade but the ends will fade to nothing.
Can anyone offer any advice at all for me please? Thank you in advance

You could try using a porosity equaliser followed by a Demi or possibly a direct dye as their molecules are bigger but if the cuticle layer is badly damaged, there’s little you can do realistically.

You could try using a porosity equaliser followed by a Demi or possibly a direct dye as their molecules are bigger but if the cuticle layer is badly damaged, there’s little you can do realistically.
Sadly this is what I'm thinking as well, color touch demi on the mids and ends may be ok but we don't want it too dark, I have a feeling this one will defeat me and I will have to suggest staying blonde for now, years of box colour build up really does make a difference

Have you tried to pre-pigment the hair? If the hair is missing the correct pre-pigmentation it will look washed out. Perfection is best for this as it is keratin enriched. Even if your client is a 8/0 on the mid lengths and ends, the earth from your target shade, will be sucked up as such reflecting back the cool tones or looking a mucky colour.
Good morning all

I have a lady coming in Saturday wanting something different, her hair has about 2 inches of grey (salt and pepper) darker in places, her ends is blonde around an 8 and is shoulder length.I use wella koleston perfect and we are looking to do a coppery red. I have tested everything from 8/43 right down to 6/43 and nothing seems to be holding on the ends, when I rinse the strand test the colour just seems to do nothing except go a bit more golden, I am worried that the roots will go desired shade but the ends will fade to nothing.
Can anyone offer any advice at all for me please? Thank you in advance
Sadly this is what I'm thinking as well, color touch demi on the mids and ends may be ok but we don't want it too dark, I have a feeling this one will defeat me and I will have to suggest staying blonde for now, years of box colour build up really does make a difference

Sorry warmth not earth

I would deffo pre pig to put some warmth back into the hair then use a semi as they tend to grab better than a permanent in these cases. Also use porosity spray.

What products is she using at home? Is it possible that something is creating a barrier?

Hello all and thank you for your replies, home care wise she uses professional lines on her hair.
The hair itself is quite coarse and wavy I've never noticed this make a difference before but maybe in this instance it has.
I have never had such a predicament with reds, the grey roots are more of a worry in case of the dreaded root glow.
Currently have 8/34 in a bowl with my last snippet to test, I'm hoping for this one

Hi I try to avoid coppers and reds with customers with a high percentage of grey . As I think the contrast looks awful when the roots grow through ,
The grey really stands out against the red

Hi I try to avoid coppers and reds with customers with a high percentage of grey . As I think the contrast looks awful when the roots grow through ,
The grey really stands out against the red
Yeah we have decided against it now, there is far too much going on with this hair to ensure even a half decent result....decided to keep it blonde and take it down a shade to maybe 9/03 so give a bit of creamy warmth....i said I would put a few coppery tones through the parting and in the fringe to give it a bit of funk....at least that way it will fade without looking bad and the roots won't be so stark.
The strand test with 8/34 went golden with orange at the ends, after seeing that I thought "nah no way in hell"
I think I was feeling a bit over ambitious with the red.

Back