Has anybody else seen this today? 'Girl, 10, burned at a tanning salon'

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilovethesun

Reaction score
This is terrible!!!

Save your Skin :)

These unmanned salons have already been banned up here in Scotland.

I am surprised this doesn't happen more often at these places, sunbeds need to be supervised by staff who have some knowledge and training.

I think the parents of this child should take some responsibility too though, that they did not know where there daughter was, and the 'older' cousin should have known better than to let a 10yr old use the sunbed when signs said 'strictly over 16's' .

I agree The parents should take some responsibility. 10 yrs old is ridiculous why is she even thinking about such things - Once again these unmanned salons are putting the tanning industry in the firing line. Do they have these problems in eastern europe and USA where tanning is incredibly huge? Why can we not promote responsible tanning?

it beggers belief to be honest, how can this still be allowed to go on

The salon owner should be shot,the parents should be taken to task and to be fair what was the child thinking....bless her.

Its these reports that do nothing other than to highlight the need for urgent change to the way in wich salons operate.

Un manned sunbed shops are simply unaceptable and should ..as in Scotland thanks to the TSA's efforts be closed down and banned.

The government should initiate licencing of these premises which will not only weed out the bad operators but clean up the image of this sector as a whole as well as of course making it a safer and more controlled environment for the consumer :hug:

Amen to that!

I guess its always easy to blame the parents however the reality is far to often out of their control...unfortunately we can only bring our kids up the best we can in the hope they will act sensibly when out and about out of our ever watchful eye.

Perhaps this child was simply unaware of the dangers she was placing herself in...the main factor here is that access for her to an unmanned sunbed is to say the least scary and should be banned..

From past experiences a lot of school girls go or try to go on sunbeds ....they grow older so much younger these days and far to often they are driven by the older girls who walk about with a tan ..the younger girls want to look tanned like the older girls do that seem to get all the attention from the boy's...they finally secome to in school/mates pier pressure.

The schools also should bear a small element of responsibility and educate these impressionable teenagers as part of their curriculum or life/risk awareness education.

My first thought:WHAT and WHY would a 10 year old want to use sunbeds? Scarey. Yes the parents should take responsibility as well as the salon of course.

firstly, un-manned sunbed establishments should be shut down - this story shows they are dangerous.

secondly, whoever was in charge of this girl should be ashamed of themselves - i know where my 11 year old is at ALL times.

thirdly, it is no wonder the girl was tempted to go on a sunbed as i have seen a picture of her mother, and she looks tanned to the extreme...learned behaviour?

Dont get me started on this ok this is my opinion tanning salons should not be allowed to let children use their sunbeds imo they should have to ID their users to check their age. The problem is the same as alcohol etc some children looked much older than their years others will try and push the boundries and do what they like so we need to see proper rules put in place to stop incidents like this one.

I too have seen the mum and she is erm..... rather 'tanned' !!!

I almost wanted to cry when I heard the story 10 years old !
My daughter is almost 10.

The other day she spent 40 minutes before school doing her hair :eek:
I did explain it was 'only school not a fashion show' ect... but she said if its a bit messy then some of the other kids say 'uuuurrghhhh your hair is minging you have nits' if she go's with it all tied back in a plait the kids say ' you have your hair in a plait you must have nits'
For the record my daughter has been clear of headlice for months and months now (thanks to the nitty gritty comb):lol:

But it go's to show how nasty kids can be and how it can affect other kids when we wouldn't realise, I thought my daughter just liked playing with her hair until yesterday and I DO talk to my kids about anything and everything.

My mum told me to look both way's when crossing the road , not to smoke and stay away from boy's ...to put my coat on when it was cold blah blah blah.... I would hide my ciggies in a friends pocket, take my coat off around the corner and then meet boy's up the street. (Granted I was a few years older than 10 though)

You can tell them 'don't touch that cup of tea its hot' turn around for a second only to hear the horrific scream of 'ow I burned my finger on your cup of tea I wanted to see if it was really hot'

The Mother probably isn't a perfect mother, But as far as I have heard the child was with a 16 year old not off roaming the streets on her own, and I know I for one would never imagine that my almost 10 year old would even consider going on a sunbed while out and about with someone older that I trusted..
I haven't warned her of the dangers because I can't imagine she would ever go on them
I will now though .

I just think if the tanning beds were manned, it couldn't possibly of happened no matter how much the child wanted it .

When I heard this on the radio this morning I just knew someone on here was going to start this thread today, well you beat me to it! If you hadnt I would of .

The first thing I said to myself was..WHY THE HELL IS A 10 YEAR OLD USING A SUN BED??? Damn right bloody discracefull!:mad:

Simple answer-ban sunbeds-fullstop!
They are really not good for you and they make you look old.
Have seen so many people walking round with wrinkles from sunbeds-not attractive. Beats me why anyone goes on them.
I also always knew where my kids where at that age but why on earth a 10 year old would want to go on one in the first place :eek:

I didn't even know there was such a thing as un-manned sunbeds! Jeepers!

Did you all here about the Australian/Asian lady who died of skin cancer which she said was caused by using a sunbed? The story was on 60minutes. Tanning salons & sunbeds went down hill for while but there will always be people who want tanned skin. It apparently hides stretch marks and makes you look thinner. Since that lady died & here story came out they made a rule that you have to be 18years and over in Australia before being allowed to use a sunbed. Whether or not salon owners adhere to this... well I hope they do!!

I totally agree - my first thought when I saw it was "why was a 9 year old wanting to go on a sunbed" and then I thought "um, and her mam was where exactly?"

But yes, these kind of sunbed places do need banned, tehy're so so dangerous - imagine, especially with young skin, going on them for 16 minsutes the very first time, ouchie!

Latest posts

Back