Have the last 9 years been a waste ;(

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzz

Reaction score
hi im new to here and hope someone can help i started work in a salon when i left school and was trained by my employer i can do all cutting colouring perming etc etc i was never sent to college or anything and had my own clients in salon but i am planning on leaving the salon and now that im a bit older and wiser iv now realised that i havent actually got any certificates saying that i can do these things people talk about level 1 2 3 etc but iv not done that and now im thinking iv basically wasted the last 9 years i just dont seem to have any luck and feel like packing the whole industry in i paid myself to go on hair extensions courses and i paid to go on beauty courses but i wasnt happy with some of the training especially waxing it was fast track courses and i now realise that you cant learn in 2 days etc i just feel like iv wasted everything does anyone have any suggestions as to what i can do thanks in advance? x

Your employer is well dodgy. You will not be insured if you haven't recieved accredited qualifications.

Call your local college and ask if they can help. Where I trained, a girl was in a similar situation and she "rushed" her qualifications cos she could do it all, it was the theory she just had to learn.

I feel really bad on you, your employer let you down, thank goodness you have not had a disaster and someone has sued!!

Good luck but you will just need to do an accredited course so that you are "qualified" - please do not do any homers cos you will not be insured and could get into bother. xx

what a git your boss is! I'd be fuming! Have you asked him about your qualifications? I deffo don't think you should pack it in, maybe as already suggested you can get your qualifications now. I feel for you!

hi thanks for the quick reply yeah its basically because i was planning on going mobile but have now realised i cant get insurance i just feel like such a failure i just never thought of asking i was young and just thought this was the way and i just assumed that as i was employed there then insurance wasnt my problem but i know i need it for doing mobile i wouldnt dream of risking myself aswel as others i will maybe call my local college and see if they could help thanks x

he knew what he was doing. You didn't. Don't feel stupid. Ask him where your certificates are and watch him squirm. lol yes im a cow!!!

i hate hate hate these courses but you could always do one of those horrible fast track courses just so you get a certificate but im not sure thats the right/best way to go. xx

what a git your boss is! I'd be fuming! Have you asked him about your qualifications? I deffo don't think you should pack it in, maybe as already suggested you can get your qualifications now. I feel for you!

hi erm i actually asked him once and he said your hands are your qualifications lol stupid now but he more or less said people will look at your work instead of bits of paper saying you can do it lol at the time i just went along with it but now i realise that those bits of paper are bloody needed lol at the time we got a girl in who had certificates from college saying she could do this that and the next thing but she couldnt even shampoo never mind anything else and that made me think o god if thats what you learn at college maybe im best here but now realise that thats not always the case i have been so stupid and gullible x

he knew what he was doing. You didn't. Don't feel stupid. Ask him where your certificates are and watch him squirm. lol yes im a cow!!!

i hate hate hate these courses but you could always do one of those horrible fast track courses just so you get a certificate but im not sure thats the right/best way to go. xx

hi i did think of that but im worried as i tried this with some beauty courses and although i find tanning lashes bro lash tinting all great i dont feel confident with my waxing and my nail extensions and feel i wasted a lot of money with the training for them i am fully confident in hair i would like to do some advance colour correction but this has totally knocked my confidence x

Hi Buzz, This happened to a friend of mine 30 years ago!!! I didnt think it was still going on.
Unfortunately she wasted 4 years, was a very good hairdresser. She wanted to move down to London with her boyfriend, was really looking forward to working in a London salon. Her employer totally refused to give her any certification or paperwork.
Her parents started legal action against him, but he was wealthier than they were, so they couldnt afford to carry on.
The s**t got away with it.:twisted:
My friend retrained as a teacher, so it worked out well for her in the end.:biggrin:

If you join an NVQ course at college and explain to the tutors that you know a lot already they will probably fast track you to the NVQ 3 course.

I did a 2 year NVQ2 course in one year because i was a faster learner than all the other girls.

x

awahhhh hun i feel so sorry for you! id be fuming! theres nothing else you can do exept go to college and get your nvq certificates if really love hairdressing. id sue the bastard to death as well! try getting into a toni and guy salon, and then they will send you down to london or manchester studios and get you a toni and guy diploma too. its totally different to your nvq, you pick up loads of new skills and its free! you have to work in one of their salons after uve finished it for a year before u can leave but its well worth it espically if uve been doing this for 9 years! uvve got loads of ex[erience under your belt! u'll get your certificates in no time. in the meantime, i would sue your boss to the ground!

the same happened to me and I trained in a very high end salon (big chain). I then spoke to the college and went straight into level 3 the very year it was introduced. So dont worry..some of us have been in the same position as you and continued on to have our own successful salons :lol:

hi thanks all for the replies its good to hear from people that have been in the same position i think the best thing would be go to local college then and explain the situation and see what they come up with then thanks alot everyone x

techically you do not have too have any qualifications too open or work in a salon as a hairdresser there are many Top stylists who are self taught such as Lee Stafford he just did his training in house i know Nicky Clarke or Toni and Guy did not offer nvq in the 80's and early 90's so for a lot off hairdressers in their 30's they were trained in house by their employers and they are still working most salons will trade test you and see what you can do I have trade tested loads off girls and guys with nvq and the majority can not even blowdry with a small round brush or dry hair straight smooth with out the use off straightners I never employ on qualifications alone u have had training and you have been running a client list for 9 years too me that would speak volumes ...:)

techically you do not have too have any qualifications too open or work in a salon as a hairdresser there are many Top stylists who are self taught such as Lee Stafford he just did his training in house i know Nicky Clarke or Toni and Guy did not offer nvq in the 80's and early 90's so for a lot off hairdressers in their 30's they were trained in house by their employers and they are still working most salons will trade test you and see what you can do I have trade tested loads off girls and guys with nvq and the majority can not even blowdry with a small round brush or dry hair straight smooth with out the use off straightners I never employ on qualifications alone u have had training and you have been running a client list for 9 years too me that would speak volumes ...:)

I would NEVER employ anyone without qualifications (even nicky Clarke) because if they burn someone's scalp or damage hair through poorly fitted extensions your insurance (provided you have any) will not cover you therefore you will have to pay damages.

Your advice is misleading.

Latest posts

Back