Have you/Would you ever turn a client away?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The client that sparked this discussion idea has been to me 4 times now, and the last 3 visits her nails are worse and worse.

When the client doesn't follow your after care advice, and comes back to you week after week with dry, brittle, cracked and peeling nails, do you continue to serve them? Or would you ever turn them away to save their nails? Let me add: I am not asking because I am considering turning her away. I was just curious if the thought had crossed others' minds, and if any of you had actually turned a client away, for whatever reason.

It was simply an idea that I had for discussion. It was in no way shape or form asking for advice on a particular circumstance, nor was it means for telling me how wrong I am for turning a client away.

That was my question.

If the product is causing the client's nails harm (due to the client's lack of after care), at what point to we say enough is enough?

Would a hairdresser bin a client because they only had their hair cut every 3 months instead of 6 weeks?

While I'm sure a stylist wouldn't turn a client away because they didn't cut their hair at the right intervals, would they refuse a client who insists on highlighting her hair every 3 weeks?

If the skin is dry then that's nothing to do with shellac, shellac is applied to the nail not the skin. If the skin is dry why not recommened another treatment.

I think you should reread sammi010 reply. It said about a hairdresser binning a client because of having her hair cut every 3 months instead of 6 weeks. She said nothing about highlight's every 3 weeks!

I understood the title of your thread but the rest was a bit misleading!

I don't think you quite understood the meaning of this entire thread. So, I've highlighted a few points to better explain myself. :hug:

I did not post this thread for advice.

I did not turn away a client, nor would I for something as simple as dry nails.

I do realize dry skin has nothing to do with Shellac. What I said was I would not service someone who's skin was so dry it was busting and bleeding.

My question was simply this, "At what point would a professional say enough is enough to a client, as their service is harming their nails/hair. And IS there a point? Or are we to continue service as normal, regardless of how well the client takes care of herself."

The question has been answered by others. It was just to provoke thought in our minds and give opinions. Not to give advice or play the blame game. :)

Thank you for replying, though! :hug:

As a rule, you get banned from my book for abuses...either frequent no-shows or abusing me. Neither of which will I tolerate.

But back when I did enhancements, I do recall that I refused to service two clients in particular. One would bite her enhancements off every 3rd week and come in for a new full set. I know you think from a financial stand point I'd like that but her nails were literally in shreds. Her nails were so soft, paper-thin and as I said, in shreds, that it got to the point that her enhancements didn't want to stay on longer than a couple of days. I didn't want my reputation ruined by the condition of her nails. I felt I had to let her go.

The other was a prolific picker...so bad that she peeled away all the skin around her nails and it bled at the mere touch. Whenever she came for a rebalance, I wore gloves because she always bled. And she bled a lot. My implements and efile were always covered in blood. And so was I. It was ridiculous. I let her go.

I love this job as much as the next person but clients equal money and that's the top and bottom of it!

I love this job as much as the next person but clients equal money and that's the top and bottom of it!

I have to disagree with that.
There are circumstances under which we SHOULD turn away clients, particularly if applying a set further aggravates a condition they may already have (ie: fungal infection - NOT to be confused with pseudomonal bacterial infection aka greenie) OR as stated above when a nail is trashed and shredded beyond repair and the act of picking off one more set may expose the tender tissue of the nail bed.

As Professionals, we have a responsibility to maintain standards, and safety etc.....
Or else there's no sense in a client consult, and no separating us from the NSS.

As nail professionals, our main concern is creating, and educating the client on healthy nails. Making them beautiful is an art form and an added service, IMO.

The client that sparked this discussion idea has been to me 4 times now, and the last 3 visits her nails are worse and worse. She says, "I have a hard time remember that Solar Oil stuff. teeheehee" Like it's a big joke!

I explain to her, once again, that her nails are in rough shape, as they're peeling and cracking all over the place. I explain what Solar Oil does and how it will help. I also explain what Shellac (and any other nail covering) will do to nails without moisture. The skin around her nails is peeling, cracking and you can see they had bled in spots. She acts like I'm her doctor simply telling her she should take vitamins. :rolleyes:

When the client doesn't follow your after care advice, and comes back to you week after week with dry, brittle, cracked and peeling nails, do you continue to serve them? Or would you ever turn them away to save their nails? Let me add: I am not asking because I am considering turning her away. I was just curious if the thought had crossed others' minds, and if any of you had actually turned a client away, for whatever reason.

Have you ever turned a client away, or even thought about it?

Yes!

Serial pickers do not only damage their nails and the work that you have done for them, they damage your reputation too.

I have no fear in letting these type of clients go :)

Some clients have different priorities and applying solar oil may not be high on her list unfortunately. You just have to continue to try to educate them and advise there are limitations with your treatment if they avoid the aftercare you're recommending.

Thank you all for your replies. From what I can tell, there's not really a majority vote, here! ;)

Latest posts

Back