Help! - can my nails be enhanced?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

headstar

Reaction score
Hi

I'm not a nail technician or anything, but I really need some advice about my nails :)

I'm getting married next year and don't want to be ashamed to show my hands to everyone. I'm a chronic nailbiter and have bitten them for as far back as I can remember.

I don't bite my skin or cuticles, so my fingers are neat, just that my nails are brutally short! I stopped biting them about a month ago and I'm seeing progress but they are tending to grow at a funny angle from my fingers! I have a very short nail bed and my thumb nails ar very broad but too short so they look very odd (I'm most embarrassed about my thumbnails)

I'd love some kind of enhancements for my wedding day (or before if poss!) but I don't know if this will be possible as I don't have much nail for anything to be stuck onto :sad:

Will they ever look normal do you think?

here are some pics to show you - sorry about the focus but not sure how to adjust it on this camera!

thanks for reading and sorry for the mega long post!

DSCF0301Medium.jpg

DSCF0300Medium.jpg

DSCF0299Medium.jpg

Flippin eck chick! Ive seen a lot worse than that as have most of us I reckon!
Why dont you try an overlay to discourage you from biting them while letting them grow?
Im in your neck of the woods I can take a look at them if you like?

really? you've seen worse?!!

what about my freaky thumb nails though!

whereabouts in Cheshire are you? or you can email me [email protected] if you like

Ive pm'd you.

does anyone else have any thoughts on my horrible nails? ;)

They are4 okay considering you have bitten them for so long. All i can say is, and i speak from experience, the longer you grow them, the more elongated the nail bed will become. I used to be a chronic nail biter and had really horrid short nail beds, so when my nails grew, the free edge started half way down the nail bed rather than at the end of the finger.

In time this will change but it won't happen over night. Use cuticle oil regularly and maybe have an overlay to help you grow them. Mine have changed so much in a year that you wouldn't believe i used to bite them so severely.

Plus i have seen so much worse than your nails.:eek:

where in warrington are you and do you have transportas as i have a room upstairs in a sunbed shop in garswood which you can come to.
To be honest with you i would just have regular manicures on a weekly basis and having your cuticles push back, this will strenghten them and also recondition your nail bed and plate and help them to grow.
if you have any extension or overlay this may cause them to be thin anfd not very good for severe bitten nails i would advise you to have what they are called party nails if it just for your wedding which last 7-14 days.
but in the mean time use vaseline on your nails and a nail strenghtener and when you are washing up wear rubber gloves which will also help them to grow. ( as detergents will not help)
if your interested get in contact with me at [email protected]

I would have your nails enhanced for the wedding day and then painted a really pretty colour to hide the shortness of your nail beds. They will look lovely as you have nice straight side walls.

The thumbs pose a different problem and will definitely need painting in such a way as to disguise the wideness of them IO the colour would not go all the way to the sides and from a distance the illusion will look long and slim, especially in your wedding photos.

You have done really well to grow them to a nice neat length, but you will not have time for the nail beds to elongate naturally before your wedding ... it takes years for this to happen.

I am suggesting nail colour rather than a make over because of your thumbs. If you go absolutely natural or French for your wedding, it will be very difficult to make your thumbs look as long and sleek as the others.

Using vaseline (a petroleum product) on your nails or skin will do absolutely nothing at all to either strengthen or moisturize them.

headstar said:
really? you've seen worse?!!

what about my freaky thumb nails though!

whereabouts in Cheshire are you? or you can email me [email protected] if you like

I have seen much much worse than that! I would definately say enhancements, preferably a custom colour blend if there's anybody near you that does that - this can be done to make your nail beds look longer. xx

great nails for a nailbiter hun

How about a custom blend to elongate the nail bed? Either way, they will look beautiful once the tech has done their magic. You'll be addicted after that. Good luck. x

Kimmi Rocks said:
How about a custom blend to elongate the nail bed? .....

That's what I said - you copying me?!:)

insette23vhf said:
where in warrington are you and do you have transportas as i have a room upstairs in a sunbed shop in garswood which you can come to.
To be honest with you i would just have regular manicures on a weekly basis and having your cuticles push back, this will strenghten them and also recondition your nail bed and plate and help them to grow.
if you have any extension or overlay this may cause them to be thin anfd not very good for severe bitten nails i would advise you to have what they are called party nails if it just for your wedding which last 7-14 days.
but in the mean time use vaseline on your nails and a nail strenghtener and when you are washing up wear rubber gloves which will also help them to grow. ( as detergents will not help)
if your interested get in contact with me at [email protected]

Anyone else heard of this?
As far as I know nail enhancements dont thin your nails its the filing and removal methods adopted by some techs that thin them....
Also wouldnt party nails have the same effect as overlays/enhancements on the natural nail?
BTW Geeg thanks for the fab tip on makin the thumbs look thinner I was thinking last night what to do with these nails as I am seeing headstar soon!
I know I can sort her nails out for the wedding! :)

vicxzy said:
Anyone else heard of this?
As far as I know nail enhancements dont thin your nails its the filing and removal methods adopted by some techs that thin them....
Also wouldnt party nails have the same effect as overlays/enhancements on the natural nail?
BTW Geeg thanks for the fab tip on makin the thumbs look thinner I was thinking last night what to do with these nails as I am seeing headstar soon!
I know I can sort her nails out for the wedding! :)

I'm afraid that this geek needs a class :green: You are right it is incorrect information. The party nails will not last the honeymoon and they are dirty filthy things if worn for more than 24 hours.

I'm so glad yo can help this girl.

In her case I really think a pretty polish is the thing. Creative Custom Blended manicure would work great for her other nails, but those thumbs are a problem and even custom colour blending will not make them appear slim! Polishing will.

Tell her not to stress about what she sees when her thumbs are 6 inches from her face!! It is the Illusion you are going to create at a distance and it will look fab.

geeg said:
I'm afraid that this geek needs a class :green: You are right it is incorrect information. The party nails will not last the honeymoon and they are dirty filthy things if worn for more than 24 hours.

I'm so glad yo can help this girl.

In her case I really think a pretty polish is the thing. Creative Custom Blended manicure would work great for her other nails, but those thumbs are a problem and even custom colour blending will not make them appear slim! Polishing will.

Tell her not to stress about what she sees when her thumbs are 6 inches from her face!! It is the Illusion you are going to create at a distance and it will look fab.

Yeah they will look good on the pics!Thanks!
I dont like doing party nails I only do them if I get a youngster for a prom or something that I know couldnt handle enhancements or be willing to return for aftercare.

Thanks for all the advice girls!

I'm so glad to hear that my nails are salvageable :)

I want to have lovely nails for my wedding and I'm so pleased that I'll be able to

x

Latest posts

Back