HELP !!! Greenies with Brisa Gel :(

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BellaMia

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I've been doing Brisa gels for about 5 months now.

All of a sudden I am finding alot of "greenies" on my clients nails when they come for their rebalances. These are people who used to get l&p and they NEVER got greenies before so there must be something that I'm doing wrong with the gel.

Some of them freak out when they see the green spot and I try to reassure them that everything will be ok but ya know, they get nervous like their finger is going to fall off! :rolleyes:

Anyway, I don't want these people to get discouraged and take their nails off all together just because of this.

Any advice is welcome...thanks.

This should not be happening.

One can only assume that you are not preparing the enhancement thoroughly enough before you rebalance and missing something that is leaking or the nails are far too long and the client is banging them causing them to leak.

YOU NEED TO MAKE VERY SURE, THAT ALL THE EDGES ARE TIGHT as with any product. And make sure that the surface is completely dry before you apply the gel. The surface must not be the slightest bit damp, even with ScrubFresh. Some use too much ScrubFresh thinking they are being extra cautious and it is not necessary and in fact works against you. Just a damp pad ... not WET.

Make sure as well that after 5 months, the nails are properly in balance. Improperly balanced nails will bend and subsequently leak.

geeg said:
Make sure as well that after 5 months, the nails are properly in balance. Improperly balanced nails will bend and subsequently leak.

??? am I missing something!

Not sure what you mean there Sassy, but what I mean is. Once the balance goes (ie the stress area no longer in the right place or not strong enough) then they can bend easily when hit and then the sides can lift allowing moisture under the product.

I find that many (not YOU of course dear) gel users, do not rebalance correctly and just put a thin layer of gel over the whole enhancement to infill/rebalance it. Then of course as it grows out, the strength is no longer there where it should be. I was thinking that after 5 months this couldbe the explanation here. OK??

MInd you BellaMia does seem to have many years experience but maybe not with gels?? Could be the ScrubFresh thing. I'm not sitting at the table so just throwing out suggestions. The one thing I do know is that it is not normal and should not be happening. I wear Brisa on my nails now and live in a hot moist country and they have certainly not 'self destructed' at 5 months!! lol

Something ain't right here!

Doh think I get it now, so effectively after 5 months there is no stress zone at all as it hasn't been rebalanced. Sorry thought you meant after 5 weeks as it would need a full rebalance at this point and thought it was a typo! Been at this pc too long today designing leaflets and marketing stuff and my brain is addled!

Thanks for replying Geeg.

I will say this- After reading what you said, I think I'm applying way too much ScrubFresh because just out of habit we think using more would only benefit us more but now I see what you are saying.

I think from watching the video that came with my kit....they say to leave a space on the sidewalls and I'm probably leaving too much of a space. Not only that but I worry too much about getting it too close to the skin. I also think that I may be over filing and taking too much off which is leaving certain areas unsealed.
Another thing (lol) When I started with Brisa I started using the Clear Formation Tips. I get so many air bubbles with these tips and I can't figure out why because they are the same tips I've used for years..only they are clear. And of course air bubbles brings on greenies as well.

This is frustrating for me because I can do a set of l&p in an hour and with my eyes closed but gel is soooo different.

Oh well. I'm certainly not giving the gel up. I like it alot. I just need to play around with this more and correct my mistakes. Sometimes I think I'm worried about keeping these clients in my chair for longer than an hour so maybe I'm going too fast.

The greenies are a bacteria that normally lives on our nail plates. when you do a thurough prep you eliminate most of these bacteria. Sounds to me like like youre not doing a thurogh enough prep. geeg is right if any of these bacteria beasties is on the nail and theres ample mouisture in nice pocket lift BINGO greenies. Also if your doing a good thurough prep there should be mimimal pocket lifting. geeg is also right again, less is more.Nails should look slighty chalky, dry before you lay your product down. Also i rebalance at each fill (almost all clients come every 3 wks), i thought that was proper procedure. Am I wrong? thanks
jenne:rolleyes:

I always rebalance at each maintenance appointment or at least I have a good look prior to application and make sure that the balance is where it should be ... if not ... a rebalance it is.

So many people are new to the 'gel' scene, and the way it is marketed by many companies (you know the kind of thing, "it's so easy all you have to do is paint it on" etc) many believe that this IS all you have to do. WRONG.

We liquid and powder 'die hards' know exactly how thick our product is in all areas because of our experience and we know how we lay it down, but working with gel is new to many of us and it is hard to know exactly how much is where sometimes!! So my advise is to really check the balance of the product at each appointment and restore it where needed or you could be promoting a situation (ie greenies) you do not want.

Latest posts

Back