help i have an interview tom' to rent a space in a salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treacletrace

Reaction score
i am so nervous, its my first interview i was planning on setting up mobile but its so slow and to be honest im bored waiting for the phone to ring. The space is in a hair salon and its afro-carribean. (not that it makes no odds to me
i have been asked to do a set of nails and to chat about the position.
What is the going rate to rent a space?
What questions should i ask?
She tells me she already has insurance so not to worry about that.
What other equipment do i need other than the basics?
Im worrying incase i dont have the right equipment i.e fuminator
Please help :confused: :Scared: :eek:

Best thing to do is take all of your products and tools that you own...that way you haven't forgotten anything. As for knowing about how much to rent a space I can't be helpful on as I am mobile , but I'm sure some one will be able to.

Most of all RELAX and show that you're confident even if you feel nervous. Check out the salon too..........this is just as much your decision to work there as it is theirs (as you will be paying them for your space).

If it was me I would like to know where the nail desk would be situated (away from hairdryers etc.)

Hope this is a little helpful!
Good luck.

Sounds good....I work from home now but about a month ago i applied for a self-employed position in a tanning salon and went in for an interview and applied some sample nails to the staff and had a chat.

Its good to get some time in the salon itself before commiting to anything as this gives you an idea of what its going to be like to actually work there.
The rate i was offered was £75 per week all inclusive which is pretty average where i live.

I would ask about any hidden costs and just make sure all your rates etc are included.
Also insurance - a big must - please make sure the salon is insured for the services you provide, i would probably look into getting your own personal insurance.....if anything goes wrong you know your well and truly covered.

You can get air purifiers etc from argos now starting at reasonable prices, i would invest in one of these. Because a hairdresser can get quite stuffy i would say your best bet would be to make sure you get good ventilation definately so thats another question worth asking

Hope this helps, good luck

xxx

Good luck!
I'm starting in my friends hairdressers on the 28th, just on Saturdays.
We decided on £10 per day. We are having a 4 week trial run so we can see about the electric bill, smell, mess etc... Although i can't see a problem as i am very tidy around my workspace and am already looking at air purifiers...
My dad runs a company that prints and distributes leaflets (handy!) so i'm starting the advertising next week!!!

Exciting eh???

xxxx

Good luck Treacle ... hope your interview goes well :hug:

hi

http://www.thenailgeek.com/showthread.php?t=9608&highlight=percentage

take a look at this or do a search on renting or percentage, its been covered lots of time with some great advice.
A good person to ask is ruth (aka nailsinlondon) as i know she has been renting in sunbed shop for years so she really knows all the ins and outs.

Hope it goes well

hi how did your interveiw go ?

I'd certainly be wary about insurance as because you will be self-employed I'm sure that you won't be covered by the salon insurance...worth a phone call.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back