Help! I Just Dont Know What To Do With Myself!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nailcrazee!

Reaction score
QUALIFIED I NOV 04. DO ABOUT 10 PEOPLE REGULARLY. ONLY TROUBLE IS I'M SLOW!!! TAKES ME ABOUT 3 HOURS TO DO A FULL SET!!!! NOW I DONT KNOW WHETHER THIS IS BECAUSE MY CLIENTS ARE MY FRIENDS AND FAMILY AND THEY NEVER STOP TALKING! OR WHETHER I AM JUST DESTINED TO BE SLOW.

TROUBLE IS I AM A PERFECTIONIST. AND TO BE QUITE HONEST MY NAILS ARE DAMN GOOD (A FULL SET CAN LAST 3 WEEKS WITH MINOR, AND I MEAN ONLY MINOR LIFTING. OBVIOUSLY IF THE CLENTS NAILS GROW SUPER FAST THEN THEY NEED DOING SOONER, AND I TRY TO MAKE ALL MY CLIENTS RE-BOOK EVERY FORTNIGHT. BUT YOU KNOW WHAT ITS LIKE WHEN PEOPLE ARE SKINT, THEY LIKE TO STRETCH IT OUT AS LONG AS THEY CAN.

BASICALLY I AM GOING TO UNIVERSITY IN SEPTEMBER TO STUDY MY FIRST PASSION, MUSIC! WELL POPULAR MUSIC AND RECORD PRODUCTION ACTUALLY!! AND I AM HOPING TO START UP MY OWN NAIL BUSINESS TO FUND MY STUDIES AS I AM SERIOUSLY IN LOVE WITH NAILS (DEFINATLEY MY SECONF PASSION - ASIDE FROM MEN). PROBLEM IS I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO?

DO I RENT A CHAIR IN A SALON ON THE DAYS I'M NOT IN UNI?

THIS WAY I WILL HAVE THE BROAD CLIENTELLE BASE AND GET SALON EXPERIENCE. ONLY PROBLEM BEING TIME. (ANY TIP VERY VERY WELCOME)

OR SET UP MOBILE/HOME BASED (AS I DO HAVE A CAR) AND NOT HAVE AS MUCH OUT LAY?

ONLY THIS WAY I WILL NOT BE AS WELL ADVERTISED AND WON'T HAVE A READY MADE CLIENT BASE. PLUS I WANT TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY AS A TECH AND NOT THOUGHT OF AS I PART-TIMER STUDENT OUT TO MAKE A QUICK BUCK!!

NEED ADVICE GUYS

PLEASE HELP!!!

AND IF ANYONE HAS GOT ANY TIPS ON GETTING MY TIME DOWN I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE THEM!!!!!

Hi. You helped me with my question yesterday. I hope I can do the same. My opinion is is that being that you do a great set of nails and they dont lift for 3 weeks, THEY WILL KEEP COMING BACK AND REFERR YOU TO THEIR FRIENDS AND FAMILY OR ANYONE THAT COMPLIMENTS THEIR NALES!! I dont believe clients care how long it takes they love the conversation and just bieng pampered.

As for university go for it!! Can you do nails after you get out from school? Tell clients your new schedule and they will work with you I am sure. You will be pretty busy with studies, but I am sure the hard work will pay off in the end. Good luck!! Blessings-Lisa

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!

I'D STILL LIKE TO GET QUICKER THOUGH!! IF I CAN GET DOWN TO 2 HOURS FROM START TO FINISH I WOULD BE WELL HAPPY!! AS THEY SAY TIME IS MONEY!!

Desert Palms said:
Hi. You helped me with my question yesterday. I hope I can do the same. My opinion is is that being that you do a great set of nails and they dont lift for 3 weeks, THEY WILL KEEP COMING BACK AND REFERR YOU TO THEIR FRIENDS AND FAMILY OR ANYONE THAT COMPLIMENTS THEIR NALES!! I dont believe clients care how long it takes they love the conversation and just bieng pampered.

As for university go for it!! Can you do nails after you get out from school? Tell clients your new schedule and they will work with you I am sure. You will be pretty busy with studies, but I am sure the hard work will pay off in the end. Good luck!! Blessings-Lisa

Very True. That WILL happen with time.

Hiya

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I qualified in December 04.. It still takes me about 2 1/2 hours to do a full set, and about 3 hours to do a rebalance!! It is frustrating, and I feel a little guilty for taking up clients time for so long...

But I've been told that the speed will come with practice, so let's hope we get our times down soon eh :)

Anna

I found that to get my time down i had to look at all the aspects and break them down. I worked on better prep which stopped lifting and saved me time. then i looked at pre blending my tips, i sit in front of the TV when I'm bored and take the wells out, this saves more tip, i re looked at my actual tip blender and application and had a really good read of Geeg's tutorials, this really did speed me up.

i looked at my mix ratio and my product application and brush techniques and eventually my speeds came down. The other thing was a little tip i was given when talking to clients answer them but dint keep talking to their faces chat to their nails and you don't lose your concentration.

Hopefully some of this will help you somewhere.
x

I'M THINKING OF INVESTING IN AN ELECTRIC FILE? IVE ALWAYS BEEN A LITTLE BIT DUBIOUS ABOUT THEM BUT MY. MANY SAY THEY ARE A SHORT CUT. BUT I HAVE BEEN TOLD IF USED PROPERLY THEY CAN BE AN ASSETT TO ANY TECH. THIS IS WHAT SLOWS ME UP YOU SEE. FILING!!

IF ANYTHING MY REBALLANCE TIMES WOULD DROP AS THE FILING TIME AT THE START WOULD SURELY HE HALVED BUT IM JUST SCARED ABOUT DAMAGING CLINTS NATURAL NAILS. BUT I SUPPOES IF YOUR ONLY FILING PRODUCT WITH AN ELECTRIC FILE YOU CANT HURT ANYTHING!!

ANYONE GOT ANY OPINIONS ON ELECTIC FILES!

Anna F said:
Hiya

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I qualified in December 04.. It still takes me about 2 1/2 hours to do a full set, and about 3 hours to do a rebalance!! It is frustrating, and I feel a little guilty for taking up clients time for so long...

But I've been told that the speed will come with practice, so let's hope we get our times down soon eh :)

Anna

nailcrazee! said:
I'M THINKING OF INVESTING IN AN ELECTRIC FILE? IVE ALWAYS BEEN A LITTLE BIT DUBIOUS ABOUT THEM BUT MY. MANY SAY THEY ARE A SHORT CUT. BUT I HAVE BEEN TOLD IF USED PROPERLY THEY CAN BE AN ASSETT TO ANY TECH. THIS IS WHAT SLOWS ME UP YOU SEE. FILING!!

IF ANYTHING MY REBALLANCE TIMES WOULD DROP AS THE FILING TIME AT THE START WOULD SURELY HE HALVED BUT IM JUST SCARED ABOUT DAMAGING CLINTS NATURAL NAILS. BUT I SUPPOES IF YOUR ONLY FILING PRODUCT WITH AN ELECTRIC FILE YOU CANT HURT ANYTHING!!

ANYONE GOT ANY OPINIONS ON ELECTIC FILES!

If you are doing a good set on your clients then I wouldn't worry too much about your timing. Look at your application skills. I used to take 4 hours to do a set then I went and had a 121 session and learnt how to bring my timings down. Sculpt with your brush and not with your file....Hths
David

David is right, look at your application i hardly do any filing afer my application more of a buff over witha koala and solar oil. if you can afford to do it book a 121 with an educator or take a skills building course it will help loads.

good luck hun
x

HI,
Welcome to the site............electric files are only good if you attend a proper training course in their use, as they can do a lot of damage to the natural nail...even when you are just filing the product!! Do a search on the site regarding electric files for further info.

But I do not think that an e-file is the answer to your problem, it is important to sculpt with your brush not a file.

Concentrate on your application skills and you should have less & less filing to do thus saving you time.....again Tutorials on this site can help you, with brush control, super smiles, etc........You don't say what system you use if it is L&P or if it is tips & overlay or sculpting. As long as your clients are happy you should be happy, but as you say time is money. But honestly where you save time is by applying the product as smoothly as possible to reduce the filing........On your next full set take a note of how long each part takes you...e.g. prep 20 mins, application 30 mins, finishing 2 hours!! ( just an example)....and see what is taking up your time.
Sorry for being a bit long winded!

I thinks it's probably! prep 1 hour!!! application 50mins!! finishing 20 mins!! talking 1 hour!!

izzidoll said:
HI,
Welcome to the site............electric files are only good if you attend a proper training course in their use, as they can do a lot of damage to the natural nail...even when you are just filing the product!! Do a search on the site regarding electric files for further info.

But I do not think that an e-file is the answer to your problem, it is important to sculpt with your brush not a file.

Concentrate on your application skills and you should have less & less filing to do thus saving you time.....again Tutorials on this site can help you, with brush control, super smiles, etc........You don't say what system you use if it is L&P or if it is tips & overlay or sculpting. As long as your clients are happy you should be happy, but as you say time is money. But honestly where you save time is by applying the product as smoothly as possible to reduce the filing........On your next full set take a note of how long each part takes you...e.g. prep 20 mins, application 30 mins, finishing 2 hours!! ( just an example)....and see what is taking up your time.
Sorry for being a bit long winded!

Latest posts

Back