Help - Manicure client with Onycholysis

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaz

Reaction score
Please can somebody give me some advice.

My mums friend asked me if I would start to manicure her nails regularly approx every 3/4 weeks. She had just lost her husband, kept falling ill and felt generally run down so thought this might cheer her up.

Her hands and cuticles were extremely dry and nails weak.

After filing nails with Kanga I used the following products:-

Creative Cutice Eraser
Citrosoak in manicure bowls with water
Solar Manicure Scrub
Solar Butter
Wipe off any excess moisturiser from nails using lint free pad
Toughen up
CND Nail polish
Super Shiney Top Coat

Also retailed her some toughen up and Solar oil which she used regularly

After a couple of months she started with what looked like onycholysis on a few nails the worst of which was on her little and ring finger, starting from the free edge at the centre going down towards the cuticle in a V like shape.

She kept having to go back to the docs for Stomach problems etc and hands and nails started to get even drier. I told her to show the doc her nails. Anyway she decided to leave her nails alone for a while.

3 months later her nails are in better condition and she asked me to manicure again, which I did 3 weeks ago, her next appointment was tonight but she just rang to say that the marks (ie onycholysis) are back on her nails.

I just don't know what to do or what explanation I can give for the nail separation. She has never worn enhancements and I only every use Kanga on her nails.

Can anyone help.

Thanks

karen

Just moving this back up, has anyone some idea what could be causing this

I can't say what is causing this but her health issues are certainly contributing. As far as the onycholysis is concerned it could be that her nails are so dry and tetchy that they may not like be paid any attention to even though what you are doing is good. I find that when I ignore my nails and they grow its when I start messing about with them - and I'm just on about a basic manicure, filing etc. they start to complain. I know this doesn't make sense but I have weak, fan shaped nails so they are very temperamental (sp).

Maybe this lady's nails need a little extra tlc, after all even filing is impact to the nails so be extra gentle when you file, and file as little as possible, don't do any buffing on the nail plate if you can help it as this will make the problem worse. Also avoid water manicures as this is going to reak havoc on the nails and skin if they are already suffering from dryness. Put her hands in hot mitts with solar oil massaged into her skin and nails and the heat will help the moisture penetrate, also paraffin wax would be good.

I hope this all makes sense. I'm not very good at explaining so I hope noone misunderstands what I'm trying to say. I realise it may sound contradictory but sometimes with problem nails you can pay too much attention using the same methods we use on everyone. Sometimes it needs a little adapting of what we use and how we use it, on problem nails

Latest posts

Back