help me hold my abrasive correctly please.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zuise.e

Reaction score
Hi Guys

i'm spending far too much time blending tips and still not happy that i've blended in the line correctly so thought I'd have a bash at changing the way i hold my abrasive to see if this helps.
At present i'm placing the abrasive between my first 2 fingers (bent) and using the thumb to press down on it.
looking at nail class I'm now trying to shake hands with my abrasive, so i'm grabbing it and extending my first finger - think i've got that bit, is the end of the abrasive resting in my palm and where do I put my thumb? on the back, or tucked away?
Hope this makes sense?

i hold mine the first way you explained as its more comfortable for me than the nailclass way (which i'm not sure i even read right or got right.. could have done with an illustration) but i'm going to see Geeg soon so she'll be able to show me.

I do it the nailclass way (i think). I hold my thumb over the top of the abrasive and the next two fingers at the other end, one on top and one underneath. Hope this makes sense. I am no good at explaining.x

P.s. I think your thumb should be applying pressure to the area you want removing.

it's your index finger that is supposed to be on top of the file applying the pressure.
i couldn't get my head round it at first, I was advised to try it out for a week to see how I got on with holding the file differently, it gets easier, honest :wink2:

I dont know if i am doing that or no? My thumb is at one end and my index is at the other end of the abrasive, with my middle finger underneath that. Is this correct? If no heeelp!

my files used to bend in the middle because i was holding it the 'old' way, they were on their way to becoming boomerangs lol

the quote and link is from Geeg's Tutorial on file control.
http://www.thenailgeek.com/finishin...ls/8286-file-control-part-1-getting-grip.html

geeg said:
Grab hold of the abrasive as if you were shaking hands with it. Then extend only your index finger out and onto the abrasive. Then lifting your elbow and placing the abrasive onto the product (still holding it the same way) start to do your work with your finger over the area you are filing. This way the maximum pressure is under your finger where you want it to be and this in turn removes the product faster and gives you more control and reduces the chance of causing a burning sensation because there is no air trapped under the abrasive. Remember the girl guides ... air plus friction = fire (ouch!)

Holding the abrasive in the old way with thumb on the top, gives too light a pressure which takes too long, gives you less control so that it is easier to damage the natural nail, traps air between the abrasive and the product which in turn causes a heat sensation, and bends and kinks wrecks your abrasives.

you can never remember unti l you actually do it can you? i've just picked up a pen to hold like my file to see what i do. my forefinger is at one end on top, the middle finger underneath, and my thumb is at the other end on the top. i don't think this is the nailclass way.

i think you should do what your comfortable with, because if your not comfortable it shows when your clients are watching.

you're right, being comfortable and confident with your file is really important.
it's more a case of what works for one of us might not necessarily work for someone else.
xxx

I do it the same way as you Antonia. I am not sure if i know what Gigi's is. I have read it a few times and thought the way i was doing it was correct. Can anyone put up a pic so i know for sure.xx

zoeCU said:
I do it the nailclass way (i think). I hold my thumb over the top of the abrasive and the next two fingers at the other end, one on top and one underneath. Hope this makes sense. I am no good at explaining.x

P.s. I think your thumb should be applying pressure to the area you want removing.

Hi Zoe - the first way I was using my thumb for pressure - but it says in the book using the thumb on top gives too light a pressure - which is why I thought I'd have a bash trying the other way to see if it makes a difference.

Sandi - I'm defo having a blonde moment here as i thought the index finger was the first finger - not the middle.........!!
So now I'm having another go and i just can't seem to get it.......
If anyone could post a pic of holding the abrasive the nailclass way, i'd be eternally grateful:) it's such a difficult thing to explain!!

Ooo, I'll have to check that out...can't decide now, until I do some nails if I'm a finger or thumb girl on top!! I know I'm finger on top when shaping but not sure about when blending tips!....will have to revisit my filing!...good thread!

Suzie.e said:
Sandi - I'm defo having a blonde moment here as i thought the index finger was the first finger - not the middle.........!!
it is hun, you're not blonde :wink2: xx

ValencianNails said:
it is hun, you're not blonde :wink2: xx

my hubby is the blonde then (even though he's bald) he said it's the middle finger!!!:D

The way I describe in 'nailcalss' (the shaking hands method) is only ONE out of many ways to hold an abrasive and I make it very clear that this is the method I use WHEN I HAVE A REAL JOB OF WORK TO DO such as ..
  1. tip blending or
  2. preparing zone 1 and 2 for a French rebalance or
  3. reducing the bulk of the product.
This is the hold I use for the HEAVY jobs. This is this hold that will
  1. reduce the bulk,
  2. not cause heat burn,
  3. remove the most product in the most efficient way
  4. and in the quickest time
  5. AND not bend your abrasive while you are doing it.
There are other ways of holding the abrasive for when you are doing the lighter tasks which will not bend the boards, such as:
  1. Shaping and refining
  2. Working in the delicate areas near the soft tissue
  3. Buffing and Shining

I am just having trouble picturing this method in my head. I have my abrasive in front of me right now and dont seem to know what way i should be doing it, even though you have explained. Where exactly should your thumb be and other fingers? I think im a little confused.x

zoeCU said:
I am just having trouble picturing this method in my head. I have my abrasive in front of me right now and dont seem to know what way i should be doing it, even though you have explained. Where exactly should your thumb be and other fingers? I think im a little confused.x

Take a look at Gigi's tutorial called file control part 1 - getting a grip

Suzie.e said:
Hi Guys

so i'm grabbing it and extending my first finger - think i've got that bit, is the end of the abrasive resting in my palm and where do I put my thumb? on the back, or tucked away?
Hope this makes sense?

I think of it more like when I hold a knife if I am spreading butter on bread (I am right handed so left handed people do the following in reverse), I have the flat side of the file upwards (not the side upwards) so my index finger is on top, thumb holding the left side (right for left handed) and all the other fingers gripping the right side (left for left handed), file UNDER my palm (which is facing downwards), then keeping the file in this flat position turn the wrist inwards slightly and file with the file at that angle then you can put pressure on the file with the index finger. Hope that is what was meant in Nail class as I find this gives me much better stability and pressure to the file. HTH:biggrin:

Marilyn said:
I think of it more like when I hold a knife if I am spreading butter on bread (I am right handed so left handed people do the following in reverse), I have the flat side of the file upwards (not the side upwards) so my index finger is on top, thumb holding the left side (right for left handed) and all the other fingers gripping the right side (left for left handed), file UNDER my palm (which is facing downwards), then keeping the file in this flat position turn the wrist inwards slightly and file with the file at that angle then you can put pressure on the file with the index finger. Hope that is what was meant in Nail class as I find this gives me much better stability and pressure to the file. HTH:biggrin:

Yes, that is what is what I describe in 'nailclass'.

Thanks guys - well now I'm actually holding it in the way described (it took some time!!) I'm going to have a practice and see if it makes a difference when tip blending........... feels a bit weird but will persevere!!

Suzie.e said:
Thanks guys - well now I'm actually holding it in the way described (it took some time!!) I'm going to have a practice and see if it makes a difference when tip blending........... feels a bit weird but will persevere!!

It will definitely feel weird at first. Doesn't everything?

It WILL work once you get a rhythm going and feel fluent with it. Don't expect miracles first time. Promise to use his method for a solid week on all clients and after that, you will not know how you got along without doing it this way. TRUST me.

Latest posts

Back