Help please want more training

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sam611

Reaction score
Hi all. Could anyone please give me advise on training etc? I have been a nail technician for 6 years but only started using my skills 2 years ago when my marriage broke up. I am a single mum with 2 kids and desperate to improve my skills and knowledge of the industry so I can build up my own business to support myself and my children. Any help and advice would be most appreiciated but my main problem is paying for everything as I have limited income!! Are there any subsidies that I can apply for? Any information would be greatly received. Thanks guys xxxx

sam611 said:
Hi all. Could anyone please give me advise on training etc? I have been a nail technician for 6 years but only started using my skills 2 years ago when my marriage broke up. I am a single mum with 2 kids and desperate to improve my skills and knowledge of the industry so I can build up my own business to support myself and my children. Any help and advice would be most appreiciated but my main problem is paying for everything as I have limited income!! Are there any subsidies that I can apply for? Any information would be greatly received. Thanks guys xxxx

Hi there
There is an organisation called the Princess Trust, that might be able to help, but I believe there is an age restriction.

How about you doing a VTCT college course in manicures and pedicures. After being qualified, you can build up a clientele. From this, you can start saving for a really good nail course or something?

Goodluck.

ADiva1 said:
Hi there
There is an organisation called the Princess Trust, that might be able to help, but I believe there is an age restriction.

How about you doing a VTCT college course in manicures and pedicures. After being qualified, you can build up a clientele. From this, you can start saving for a really good nail course or something?

Goodluck.

Adiva1 is spot on with the Princes Trust

As for the VTCT, I'd check the prices with your local college carefully - I was booked into the the VTCT this September as it was only going to cost me about £350, but I happened the check the site a fortnight before my interview and they'd increased the price to nearly £600 :eek:

Now I'm already a Creative Master and have therefore done my foundation etc., but if I was going to spend £600 on a training course I'd rather do the CND 5 Day Foundation, than a 16 week VTCT. (The only reason I was going to do the VTCT was for a qualification recognised by the general public, not because I feel I'm missing anything)

Who did you train with 6 years ago? Is it possible to approach them and find out about refresher courses, or 1-2-1's, etc.? They'll be cheaper than full courses and if you're already a working tech you're just looking for some tweaking and inspiration :D

Put training in the search facility (top right) and you'll find loads of good training suggestions and companies.

HTH
Trin
xx

Hi

Which system do you use now?? L+P or Gel??

The company's i can highly reccomend is Creative and biosculpture.

I find the training and service from both of these excellent.

PS: i do know that creative (aka designer nails) will accept funding too. So if you have been unemployed for a while it would be a good idea to approach the local careers center they even help you out with setting up your business.

Hi Sam611

Welcome to the board have PM'd you.

It's nice when you first come on here and get private messages even when you have been on here a while :lol:

Take care

I do believe under lone parent schemes that you can apply for college courses and pay next to nothing, ask about it at the local jobcentre or your local college. if you are in receipt of benefits then you can get courses at really reduced rates.

Some of the schemes for lone parents help you out with childcare costs and your training kits as well. Each FE college is different so have a nose around .

smiler13334 said:
Hi Sam611

Welcome to the board have PM'd you.

It's nice when you first come on here and get private messages even when you have been on here a while :lol:

Take care

Thanks smiler really nice of you and yes it does feel good lol xx

Latest posts

Back