Help! Training & Body wraps & New products

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Face Geek

Reaction score
Hi all,

First off-just so you know-I did my 1800 hours training in America in 1997/98 so I'm a qualified hairdresser/cosmetologist.

Now-my question is-am I qualified to use new products without specific product training?

I've recently invested in the BODYCOFFEE line and had a lot of interest(I find if you put the word anti-cellulite on a sign/poster/leaflet it instantly has that effect).

Anyway-I have a client who's interested but sometimes has a reaction to caffeine. She's willing to sign a release but since talking to my insurance company(twice) I've been told that no 'release' would ever hold up in a court of law. The first person I spoke to said to get a letter from a doctor saying she's ok to have the treatment. I called again today to find how to word that letter and was told that I shouldn't be doing any treatment on her. I explained that I was previously advised otherwise. I was put on hold and then, sure enough, the lady came back and said just advise the client of the ingredients and get a letter from a doctor to say she's fit to have the treatment.

I asked if it would help if I did a patch test to see how she reacted and was advised to do as I was trained. Now my 'training' was an email of BODYCOFFEE protocol and that's it. I never actually had 1 to 1 product training for this specific wrap though I HAVE had training for body wraps/salt scrubs using other lines.

Coming from America, where people tend to sue anyone for anything, I'm a bit apprehensive. I don't want to turn this lady away unnecessarily, but at the same time I don't know where I stand.

I've composed a letter for her to give to her doctor, but now I'm wondering if, having done a course in 'body wraps' in college will that cover all bodywraps?

On a side note my insurance company has always told me that if I ever WERE to get sued, provided I'm a qualified therapist (which I am-I graduated) they'd go back to the company who produced the product and sort of 'pass the buck'. I asked if I had to use specifically 'professional' lines and was told no-I could use what ever I liked as long as I hadn't made it myself.

So... I'm a bit :| at the minute and was hoping someone here would be able to clear things up for me. :rolleyes:
Or at least advise me which insurance company to switch to perhaps as mine aren't particularly helpful and give different advice every time I call.

If you hold certificates in body treatments, you should be fine, to use the bodycoffee products, as I dont think there is an actual course you can go on, involving Bodycoffee.

But regarding this client, you could patch test, or it might be better to say that she shouldnt try this product, as she could have a bad reaction and recommend something else. hth

Not sure about the legalities but why does this woman want to have a treatment where the odds are that she will have a reaction?! Can you not offer her an alternative with maybe a salt scrub, anti-cellulite massage and a seaweed mask? (assuming she is not allergic to iodine). :)

Does the client in question just have a reaction when she ingests caffeine? If so, then with the BodyCoffe treatment she may be ok as you're only applying it to the skin.

Out of curiosity, how have you managed to muster up interest in the treatment? I've got the BodyCoffee as well but can't convince clients to have it done. I've tried re-naming it, promoting different benefits to the treatment..... you name it but still nothing doing :confused:

Latest posts

Back