Help with a colour correction

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redbillie

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I've got a client who has neglected her long hair. Subsequently she has 4-5" of re-growth at the roots which is near enough 100% grey/white, brown faded midlengths (approx a 7.4 in Clynol) and very faded light brown/blonde ends. She wanted to go blonde and asked me to put bleach and brown highlights in to try to disguise the grey with the idea of putting more and more bleach highlights in over a period of time. I had suggested putting a brown on all over, wash and dry her hair then bleach highlights but she wanted to try the highlights route first.

So 6 weeks ago, I put 2 rows of bleach, 1 row of 8.0 and 1 row of 6.0. The result was fairly poor and I wasn't happy with it. I didn't feel that it disguised the roots enough. Also, 6.0 came out quite dark and looked like I had put in more of that than blonde. On the plus side, it did look better than when we'd started!

She now wants me to do it again but I am wondering what the best method will be. Should I:-

1. Do what I first suggested? But, what colour should I use and what will happen with the dark 6.0 highligsts?

or

2. Strip all the colour from her hair and put an all over blonde colour of say 8.0 or 9.0?

I have never stripped colour before so any suggestions on which colour stripper and which clynol colours to use would be very much appreciated.

You've probably guessed that I use Clynol colour range.

Thankyou for your time.

Full head bleach highlights almost back to back then infill the rest of the remaining hair with something warm, if you colour first then highlight it's wasting time and product. so as I can't help with colours I've never used clynol .

I use matrix and would probably use something Like a Mocha mocha in dream age which is designed to cover 100% grey. Hope someone can convert it to clynol for you :) x

Thanks for that. Do you mean doing highlights with foils because I normally use the spatula method? I have only been hairdressing for 18 months!

Sorry Bluerinse, I was answering your thread whilst trying to talk to my sister on the phone!

What do you mean by back to back? Can you expand on that? What % peroxide should I use for the bleach? Should I use 3% to give the bleach extra time for the colour to take?

I sound like a complete novice! Sorry about that but I do appreciate your help! :lol: x

I use clynol. I think you were on the right lines to do an all over colour to be honest. Do you use foils, wraps or meche? You could run bleach (3%) in hightlights through it and then in between the highlights apply a full head at the same time. An all over colour like 8.0 & 8.4 mixed would blend nicely with 7.4 without having to pre lighten as the highlights would lift the ends a little, remove some of the old colour and break up any banding. Not to mention blend nicely when the regrowth starts to show!

If you are wanting to put lowlights in, on top of grey u need to add warmth 6/0 will come out dark and harsh so maybe add 6.3. Clynol colours tend to come out a little lighter when you add warmth so bear that in mind.

Putting bleach highlights through 100% grey hair is a waste of time, you want to be putting colour in. The only place you will see a difference is on the ends where the old colour was.

Thanks Giggler. I normally use a spatula to put highlights in! It was how I was taught when in my placement. They used them all the time and it is really easy. That is the reason why I thought of putting an all over colour on first then putting bleach highlights in after.

Would I still need to use 3% peroxide on the bleach hightlights or should I use 12% if using the spatula?

Thanks for the colour advice. I totally agree with your suggestions.

I'd use 6%.. That will give u a little extra lift. A base 8 is quite light.. If u use 12% the back will have already taken while your still highlighting the top.

Really should look into learning how to foil tho.. It really will save u time and increase your revenue! ;)

Really should look into learning how to foil tho.. It really will save u time and increase your revenue! ;)

Yeah, you are right! I can do it, it's just that I am sooooo slow! :lol:

Latest posts

Back