Help with creating highlights with extensions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tantastic86

Reaction score
Hi guys I have a lady for a hair fitting on Wednesday, using #4 with #99j almost like highlights,

I've never done this before, would u do 2 strand per highlight or spread them out per row as flashes of colour when she moves her hair?

Thanks xx

Hiya sometimes I do every 3 or 4 depending on how many highlights I'm doing but to be honest most of the time I just do it as I go along once you start you'll get an idea of where you want to place them xx

A good way of creating fine highlights with pre bonded extensions is to half bonds and join a half of each colour together. I do a lot of clients hair like this. Takes time but looks amazing. :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

On my training a few weeks ago I was told when doing highlights to do it randomly to make it look more natural and not stripey?
I still havnt done my first set yet but that's just what I was told x

Thanks ladies, they're micros I'm putting in, she wants them thin, but noticeable if you know what I mean. Lol xx

Thanks ladies, they're micros I'm putting in, she wants them thin, but noticeable if you know what I mean. Lol xx

Maybe order some thinner strands of hair for finer highlights? Maybe 0.6g?

Or re tip some that you have mixed.

A nice idea when creating this look is to locate a lot of the alternate colour towards the back, and to leave the very front of the hair matched to her existing colour. This way you will prevent the hair looking stripy from the front, however will still notice the colour when the hair is pulled forward.

When placing the extensions at the back, it is important to ensure they are done in a random manner to avoid the hair looking unnatural or stripy. Using different weights of hair extensions is a great way to do this as suggested, or retipping some of the extensions so that they are a mix of both colours.

When forming your rows, a suggestion for how to prevent them looking stripy would be...
One row of natural colour
One row of a mix of both
One row of just the alternative colour
One mixed row
One row natural with a few alternate colours
One row natural colour

This will prevent the hair looking too symmetrical and unnatural.

Kind Regards

Latest posts

Back