Help with qualification

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just Fake It

Reaction score
hi, im new to all this but im looking into training to be a beauty therapist. i have found a course with the open study college (i work full time so i needed home based learning) and the qualification gained is a level 3 NCFE award which says its similar to a nvq level 3 or a level. i just wanted to make sure this is a valad and insurable qualification before i splash the cash. thanks, kirsty

Hi Kirsty,
this is a difficult one. NCFE and OCN courses have been running for a while, and not widely recognised as is NVQ and City & Guilds.

I teach NCFE and OCN level 1 and 2 for a local FE college and they are eqivualent of nvq 1 and 2, so if you are doing a level 3 perhaps it will be recognised as equivalent of level 3 NVQ. The problem is it is not widely recongised in the industry so if you go to salons / spas for jobs they may not accept it.

Saying that, I have recently taken a very highly skilled course in Auricular Acupuncture and was amazed to see it as an OCN level. Next week I am attending a course at a local FE college and it is also an OCN course. So, maybe it is becoming more acceptable.

I personally would ring a few insurance companies and ask their opinion.

Try Beauty Guild : Home - Beauty Guild

Hi Kirsty, can I share my experience with you ... even though I didn't do the home study course. I changed careers and did the short private courses of one or two day lengths. These were with a teacher and small groups of people of about 6 at maximum. I learned manicure and pedicure; facials and eyebrow/eyelash tinting and brow shaping; waxing; and Swedish massage. I also did Bio Sculpture Gels. And those diplomas were accepted by my insurance company Professional Beauty Direct and as I learn more skills and have the diplomas, these are automatically added to my insurance. Before I did the courses I checked with the insurance companies to make sure they would be recognised and enables me to work mobile for myself.

Anyway, this was absolutely the right path for me because I got so much from the courses, seeing it in action and doing it on each other, and then going off and practising until I felt ready to sell my services which happened quite quickly.

However, because of my level of perfectionism, I have nagging speak in the back of my head which has not been too helpful and so, I am now enrolled at my local education college to do NVQ Level 2 and although I am repeating a lot of what I have already learned, I am pleased to be doing so but backed up with deeper background knowledge. It means that after Level 2 I can do Level 3 and then higher levels of massage that I want to do.

So what I am saying, is that there is nothing like having the hands on experience part of the study and there are plenty who would criticise my short courses but they suited me well, though now I am going to the full time course. I can still operate my mobile therapy business around college times and can continue to progress that at the same time.

You have to do what is right for you, and if it is doing the Distance Learning now then don't let anyone put you off. But bear in mind how what might seem right now can change! :)

Caroline x

hi, im new to all this but im looking into training to be a beauty therapist. i have found a course with the open study college (i work full time so i needed home based learning) and the qualification gained is a level 3 NCFE award which says its similar to a nvq level 3 or a level. i just wanted to make sure this is a valad and insurable qualification before i splash the cash. thanks, kirsty

Hi Kirsty,
im in exactly the same boat as you!i want to get into beauty therapy but i need to keep my full time job as i have rent to pay etc...from doing lots of research and reading posts on here, ive found that although it may be best to get hands on experience by going to college etc, its not best suited for everyone so online courses seem to be the only way!
what i think is that if you want to work in a salon or something, it may be best to go to college etc but if you want to go mobile,then as long as your confident enough and trust your own skills(after doiong ur online course) then why not!
i was looking at a course in the uk open college and it seems to be the best one ive found so far..let me know how u get on and what u decide to do.
good luck..to the both of us!lol
megs x

please stop and read my post before anyone purchases a online course.

i too work full time and thought this was a good idea until I paid for the open learning course and did the course through stonebridge colleges and found to my horror that these courses were not insurable through the guild. the only way of getting insurance (which is not highlighted in thier material) is by sitting a 2 day course at a cost of £500 + after the theory aspects somewhere in portsmouth. now heres the catch they dont run the course often so your left high and dry for months. Stonebridge claimed i could do 2 days work experience in a local salon and that would accredit me. the guild has confirmed that would NOT suffice for insurance.

these courses are a scam and cannot substitute real practical hands on experience from a reputable college. please do your research before parting with your cash.

good luck

I have done the fast track practical courses and am insured but I am also doing an online beauty therapy levels, 1,2 & 3 so that I can go into greater depth with regard to the theory. To me it doesn't matter that I don't get insurance for the online course beacause I am insured for my treatments that I do. Yes its an expensive way of doing it but its working for me.

I really cant see how the course could be completed without doing practical courses.

Latest posts

Back