Hi, discount salon questions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claire pegg

Reaction score
Please could someone answer this
I know in our town there are three nss nail bars, I thought you needed an nvq in nail extensions and have a certificate to open one with all staff being qualified, so how does the local council give permission to open one......?...

What is NSS?

Sent from my C2105 using SalonGeek mobile app

I know in our town there are three nss nail bars, I thought you needed an nvq in nail extensions and have a certificate to open one with all staff being qualified, so how does the local council give permission to open one......?...

Local council probably don't give a hoot whethere they're qualified or not.

Qualifications are needed to get insurance but I'm sure there's plenty of uninsured, unqualified people doing nails out there. There's no regulations to stop it.

It's so hard in my area to get clients as they all seem to go to these shops .. Any ideas on what to put on my leaflets to attract clients

You can put what you like on your leaflets....unfortunately, today's market is often driven by price over quality.
You've only got to walk past one of these places to see they will be packed to the gill's, banging out £10.00 a pop gel nails! :irked:

You just have to work hard at marketing yourself as a quality salon and avoid playing the price game with them. I have to deal with 9 in my immediate area alone. I get people huffing at me that I'm too expensive, but I get people who keep coming back because they've either had bad experience or are suspicious of these places. It's hard work but that's business. One thing I found is you'll always have one over them as far as customer service goes. The discounted salons are set up the way they are because they want to churn out as many sets as possible to make enough off their commissions to live off of so no time for small chit chat.

As far as the council goes, they really don't care. I got girls drilling people's nails til paper thin and waxing areas they really have no business waxing and they're still around. So frustrating.

How do you know they aren't qualified? They don't have to prove their qualifications or lack thereof to you.

You will find the vast majority of people on salongeek don't have nvqs. Does this annoy you equally?

The NSS establishments around me have certificates on walls & all have current special treatment licences. The boroughs my businesses are in are extremely strict. The owner of my nearest nss is level 4 qualified.

NSS threads on SG always have an air of prejudice & insecurity.

Our industry is not regulated, so legally anyone can open a nail bar without qualification. NVQ is not a standard requirement, in fact from stories I've heard on here many brand training is superior than the NVQ.

There are some councils which require NVQ's, insurance and inspections but they are in the minority. By far the majority of the UK is unregulated.

To be clear, for the benefit of everyone, NNS refers to non standard salons ie those which do not have qualifications, insurance, do not follow proper hygiene or health and safety, it does not refer to ethnicity.

Latest posts

Back