Hi! I'm New and need lots of help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikisatez

Reaction score
Hi There Everyone,
My name is Lisa and I live in Melbourne Australia. I just have to say that from all the posts and pics I've seen, you are all very talented. At the moment I can't afford to do a nail course and am sort of teaching myself, to no avail. If you guys could lend a helping hand that would be greatly appreciated. I seem to be making a real mess of my acrylics. The brush is either too dry or too wet. I get acrylic everywhere, and it seems reallt lumpy.:Scared:
If anyone has any tips and/or tricks I would really love to hear from you.
Thanks
Nikisatez

hi and welcome to you. you'll find lots of great advice all through this site. there are even tutorials too.you can go through everything and build up a store of knowledge. there is no substitute for professional training though, because as most of us have found, doing nails is not as easy as it looks.even after training, i found it was 12 months before i felt truly comfortable with my results.
so dont give up, save up ! you can ask for contributions to a good training course for christmas. meanwhile stick around and soak up every bit of nail knowledge that you can. that way when you do get some proper training, it will all make so much more sense.

Thanx Angel Fingers. I would love to do a course. I think all of the nail geeks on here are so great. They know heaps. I've just got to pick on some of the lingo, if you know what I mean.

Hi Lisa and welcome to the board.

This is not the sort of thing you can learn from the board and a lot of people might feel agrieved at you trying to learn from the internet what we have spent hundreds on in training.

Would you go to a hairdresser with a home care kit and ask them to show you how to use it.

Sorry if this sounds harsh but I am trying to put it as diplomatically as possible LOL.

Are there no salons you could go and get an apprentice type job and get some training whilst also working.

In the UK if you have not done training, you cannot get insurance and also not very many product suppliers will supply you if you have not done some formal training.

Australia may be different - I will leave it to the Australian techs to answer that one.

the trouble with trying to teach yourself, is that you pick up bad habits without realising because theres no one to correct you, and then youset your progress back. as i said there really is no substitute for professional training, but it doesnt hurt to be armed with knowledge. if youre truly passionate about learning nails , you'll get there eventually.:)

nikisatez said:
Hi There Everyone,
My name is Lisa and I live in Melbourne Australia. I just have to say that from all the posts and pics I've seen, you are all very talented. At the moment I can't afford to do a nail course and am sort of teaching myself, to no avail. If you guys could lend a helping hand that would be greatly appreciated. I seem to be making a real mess of my acrylics. The brush is either too dry or too wet. I get acrylic everywhere, and it seems reallt lumpy.:Scared:
If anyone has any tips and/or tricks I would really love to hear from you.
Thanks
Nikisatez

Hi and welcome to the site:biggrin:

I started off myself and found it hard without someone to talk to and as I am in a small village with no collages very close I decided to do an Essential Nails course at home. This worked well for me and gives you a good start.:biggrin:
Good Luck

Hi,
i work with gels so i cant really help you with l&p, but welcome :Love:

p.s. love your aviatar pic..

Hi,
In Australia suppliers will not sell to you unless you show your qualifications and register yourself with them. You can buy some products at some shops, not great quality but they are available.
I tried to teach myself but even though I had done not bad at teaching myself, when I got my self into a course I realised that it had not even been the tip of the iceberg!! Your training and what you do with it cannot be learnt from home or on the net. its priceless. You have to see the technique shown by an educator. Reading it on here will not help you get it just right. Once you have done a course, when you come back and read all the valuable information supplied by very experienced techs, it will make sense and you will increase your knowledge and so on. Cannot emphasise enough the value of being trained properly before getting out there and doing nails!!!
Good luck
xxxxx:Love:

I want to thank all of you for your advice. Guess there's nothing for me to do but attend a course. Is a short course okay?:biggrin:

nikisatez said:
I want to thank all of you for your advice. Guess there's nothing for me to do but attend a course. Is a short course okay?:biggrin:

Short cvourses are great if they are of good quality but look at it as lifelong learning - do a short course to get yourself started, read from here but also try and schedule in regular courses rather than just do a short and never do anything else.

Hi there. This is my 1st time on this forum even though Ive seen it a few times before. Im excited to talk to people from all over the world, even though the 1st couple of messages Ive read are from Lisa in Melbourne, (50min flight away!) & Rachel from Adelaide (same state I live in!) . Anyway, Ive been doing nails for nearly 3 years now & I also run a Newsletter that gets issued to other Techs around my state etc. Its fun but very hectic. How do other girls manage their time without spending all day & night in 'the nail room'? Bye for now.:confused:

hi
in preston melb in albert rd there is a place called creatives new edge there fantastic but its 2495 for either the 9 week/ 18 week course a 500 deposit and then if u the 9 week its 204 a week if u do the 18 week its 105 but give them a call and tell them i recommended u the educator is great hope u go well:D

Latest posts

Back