HMRC Tax Credits self employed - being assessed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try and get what they say over the phone out in writing. Or take name and date etc. I hope it's a happy ending for u ciderella [emoji257]

I suppose it can't be much fun for the staff either as they don't seem to have adequate training.

My payments are meant to go up next Tuesday. I can't believe I've survived it
Feel like pARTy time lol

I suppose it can't be much fun for the staff either as they don't seem to have adequate training.

I'd love to work for them and see just how corrupt they are!

Hi everyone,
I am reading through this thread with interest as I am hoping to start up soon in Holistics/beauty. Being a single parent who will be on tax credits this situation is obviously very worrying and I just wonder if anyone could list the kind of records you would advise a new business to be keeping in case the dreaded checkup occurs in the future!
Many thanks,
Kelly.

My working tax credits have been stopped. I haven't been notified just noticed the change in amount being paid.

Main reasons were I didn't make enough profit (min wage) after qualifying and setting up in my first year. They understood I'd bought products, equipment, advertising and done further training but the lack of profit and the fact I hadn't paid cash payments into a business account were the issues.

I hope this info helps anyone else setting up X

Oh no! So will you be ok financially without it x

Oh no! So will you be ok financially without it x
I managed before so I'm sure I will again. Just back to struggling again [emoji20]

I know how it feels. But at least you now know, it will be ok again

I know how it feels. But at least you now know, it will be ok again
It's got me all fired up lol and even more motivated. I'll just work harder! x

My working tax credits have been stopped. I haven't been notified just noticed the change in amount being paid.
Main reasons were I didn't make enough profit (min wage) after qualifying and setting up in my first year. They understood I'd bought products, equipment, advertising and done further training but the lack of profit and the fact I hadn't paid cash payments into a business account were the issues.

That's just awful!

I'm a bit curious. If you haven't been formally notified of a decision, how do you know what they based their decision on? It seems a bit arbitrary especially regarding the lack of profit as that's almost a given in the first year of trading, so I'd be inclined to challenge the decision myself. You need to appeal within 30 days of being notified but have a read of the link below.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/child-tax-credit-and-working-tax-credit-appeal-form

I definitely wouldn't just accept the decision without at least querying it as you know that you are working legitimately. Perhaps contact someone at your local Citizens Advice or similar?

It's got me all fired up lol and even more motivated. I'll just work harder! x

Yea exactly u can do it! I had my renewal pack the other day stressful times

That's just awful!

I'm a bit curious. If you haven't been formally notified of a decision, how do you know what they based their decision on? It seems a bit arbitrary especially regarding the lack of profit as that's almost a given in the first year of trading, so I'd be inclined to challenge the decision myself. You need to appeal within 30 days of being notified but have a read of the link below.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/child-tax-credit-and-working-tax-credit-appeal-form

I definitely wouldn't just accept the decision without at least querying it as you know that you are working legitimately. Perhaps contact someone at your local Citizens Advice or similar?
I know based on information that was queried and stated in our last phone conversation.

I have appealed the decision and made a complaint te the way my case has been handled to the manager this morning and I'm waiting on a call back.

I've also contacted citizens advice and my local councillor.

Omg that's disgusting! I think it's wicked the way they're doing this, to people who are simply trying to earn a living. And they don't seem to be following a particular process either. Everyone seems to be told they want different criteria. I don't have a separate business bank account, was never even asked about one!

I've got my fingers crossed for you that someone in power has some common sense and reverses their decision for you. Please let us know what happens.

I managed before so I'm sure I will again. Just back to struggling again [emoji20]
I don't understand how they can take money away from people, that are trying to help themselves by working around school hours, all evening etc, because "you aren't making enough profit"??? Surely, that means that until you are making a bigger profit, you need the help from the government?? It's so backwards… I actually can't comment on how it all works, because I don't know, but it infuriates me that you are trying your best to earn a living and just have a little additional help and they would rather see you and your kids struggle. Seems to be easier to just not bother working or trying??!! Ridiculous.

Thank you.

A manager called me back to advise that all she needs is evidence of income so I've printed off my sales info from Ovatu and I'll get myself a receipt book and I'll start writing out receipts for every client from now on.

Hopefully that should be enough as I'm getting busier now and was so happy it was beginning to work out. No doubt if I earn more it will be above the income threshold and I won't qualify lol.

I have confirmed I'll still be following up my complaint in writing as to how my case was dealt with and I've asked that the assistant that previously dealt with it no longer does and she agreed.

Thank you.

A manager called me back to advise that all she needs is evidence of income so I've printed off my sales info from Ovatu and I'll get myself a receipt book and I'll start writing out receipts for every client from now on.

Hopefully that should be enough as I'm getting busier now and was so happy it was beginning to work out. No doubt if I earn more it will be above the income threshold and I won't qualify lol.

I have confirmed I'll still be following up my complaint in writing as to how my case was dealt with and I've asked that the assistant that previously dealt with it no longer does and she agreed.
Yep, they will get you one way or another!! My husbands last tax bill made me cry! I want to be really busy, but then you just have to give it all back.. :(

Thankyou so much for sharing this information, I have been following this with interest as I am single parent soon to be starting a business therefore the family income is all down to me. Do you mind if I just ask, was the earning of minimum wage calculated from your total income or was it expected even after you had taken off expenses?
And also, do you have to pay back the tax credits you have recieved during your first year? (If that's not too personal a question.)

I am very worried that I will work hard at getting a business off the ground only to be told after a year it isn't good enough and be landed with a huge lump of debt to tax credits. I cannot for the life of me understand why they are punishing hard working people who choose to go self employed!

I haven't been told I've to repay anything and they haven't reduced the child element of my credit so it's looking like I don't have to.
I've made a loss this year which they've known from when I initially claimed as I told them I expected to.
I'm not sure how they calculated it out, I'm not sure they are either!

Latest posts

Back