Holiday cover what do you do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosiedrew

Reaction score
I am a one man band and I was going to ask someone to cover for me when I went on hols for a week.

It would be a total stranger. Some say I would be foolish. Friends and love ones feel I may end up losing clients, not receiving my money or worse still sexual massages may take place.

Surely, they are being neurotic???

I was going to get a self employed tem and pay them £8.00 an hr. Of course, I would ensure they were qualified.

If you are appointment based I personally would just not take any appointments for that week! That is what I am doing next week, I did think about getting cover (I am salon based) but unless it is someone you know really well, I would be concerned that they may not be the same standard of work, hygiene practices, use the same products etc and you dont want your business to get a bad name!
hth x

I just don't take any bookings for the week I am away too. I only take one week hols at a time so that I can book people around my holiday. :hug: You can work out which regular clients would be booking that week and warn them in advance to move their appointment a few days forward or back.

I too am taking a 2 week holiday in 3 weeks time and I've onlt just set my studio up, but there is nothing that I can do as I had booked the holiday last year (way before I thought I'd have had a salon of my own) so I'm just going to tell folk that I cannot take bookings those two weeks - but I will work up to the day before and back to it as soon as I get back if someone requires me.

I've thought about getting cover but I don't want to lose any clients to someone else and also because I'm just starting out I don't want them to be perceived as me :cry:

What will I do??? I would have to not book anyone in for that week & close ...... I did it last year and it was fine....I had a notice up advsing of my holiday...

2 weeks????

Not so sure I could leave it unattended for 2 weeks though...Not sure what I would do...

2 weeks????

Not so sure I could leave it unattended for 2 weeks though...Not sure what I would do...

I know I can't help it being as its been booked 12 months and paid for for 6 of them so I had no choice.

To be honest I should have put off opening the studio but then I'd have had to pay for 2 months of rent with no money coming in - I'd have been bankrupt before I had started at least this way I might not be making any money but I'm getting known I'm there.

hi rosie, i dont think you should leave it with anybody, just warn people your going away, people will wait for you, i go to india every xmas for over a month, my clients just get a bit hairy,
you know how you like things done, others may cut corners, i wouldnt risk it, we all deverse a holiday, as we all work hard,
have a great holiday luv hx

I think you should just go away, enjoy yourself and leave your place alone for one week. You don't want to have to come back to a mess. And personally, I think it seems really impressive when you tell clients you can't take them for that week - you can tell them you're fully booked and they'll want you more b/c you're exclusive and in demand :)

I wouldn't leave my business with anyone!! If you have worked hard to build up a client base you dont want to lose them if your stand in is useless. I think if your self employed and have your own buisiness your working on a commission style basis and more likely to keep clients happy afterall you need them for your wage etc etc...But to someone who is covering you for a week for a few quid might not be that bothered and could potentially lose you business..

I would just warn clients your away and if you have a website put it on there etc etc..Leave a voice message for anyone who rings for an appointment and put an automatic IM AWAY message on emails incase you take business this way too.

Hope that is of some help,

Kim x

Dont do it!! It would be the worst mistake you could ever make. Just shut up for 2 weeks inform your clients and rebook them round your holiday. You will be very busy before you go and when you return. I would start back at work as soon as you get back too. They will wait for you. If any are funny, just laugh and say "we all need a holiday, thats why we work so hard". Set an answer phone message to say your on holiday and the date you will be back.

Enjoy yourself and forget about work xx

Latest posts

Back