Hollywood lash skin test

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redlottie13

JUST BE NICE
Reaction score
Hi all I'm a hairdresser so unsure here.

We have skin tested a girl for lashes and she was fine.

Then we performed the lashes and she's had a reaction, how Is this possible.
She's sent me a pic and it deffo looks like an allergy. The docs said its common and could be formaldehyde.
I've checked and can't see this listed on the back of the bottle. I'm worried this could be our fault somehow but we have followed everything we usually do.

HELP NEEDED PLEEEEEEASE x

Have you noted and dated the patch test and got the client to sign?

Every time we are exposed to something, we run the risk of stimulating the processes in our body that see things as allergens. The more we expose ourselves the greater the risk. Sometimes one exposure can be absolutely fine and on the second a massive reaction.

As long as you patch tested your insurance should cover you. That’s what it’s there for x

Yep I believe so....unsure til I get to the salon tomorrow . In fact I bloody hope so! X

I know you said you patch tested but how did you do this?

Did you patch test on the skin or on the lashes?

Skin, I always patch test on the crease of the arm or behind the ear x

Adhesive should never touch the skin and applying the adhesive to skin (arm or behind ear) will not give you the desired result.
As the adhesive is an irritant it is more than likely that clients can react, however they might be absolutely fine with the actual treatment. Likewise they might not react but are unsuitable for the treatment. The main reason for a patch test is to mimic the treatment in a miniscule way to see if the client is suitable and the main reason we patch test for lash extensions is that some people can react to the fumes which you would not be able to test by applying onto the skin.

How would a correct patch test be performed for lash extensions then?

How would a correct patch test be performed for lash extensions then?
I have a zero tolerance for treatments without patch tests ( I know a lot of places perform spray tans etc without ) it might be helpful to other salon owners to know this to check that their staff are following correct procedures. [emoji846]

We apply a bit of each product (primer, adhesive, debonder etc) to a few of the natural lashes and if you make a note on the record card which product is applied where you will have a record to find out which product could have caused a reaction (if any occurs) x

Good to know I never knew new this but will be doing this going further. Thank you

Yep I have skin tests all documented here which she denied she had! I did it [emoji23]

I will be doing this method from now though. Are you guys following this & am I the only one who's been doing it incorrectly? X

Yep I have skin tests all documented here which she denied she had! I did it [emoji23]

I will be doing this method from now though. Are you guys following this & am I the only one who's been doing it incorrectly? X

We patch test on the skin in my salon, I’ve never heard of doing it on the lashes, it’s good for thought.

When I was training we were always told that people can react even after a patch test and to let clients know this

In this case would it make a patch test invalid? X

We patch test on the skin in my salon, I’ve never heard of doing it on the lashes, it’s good for thought.

When I was training we were always told that people can react even after a patch test and to let clients know this
You might want to check with your insurance as patch testing on the skin might void your cover x

You might want to check with your insurance as patch testing on the skin might void your cover x

It’s not my salon and I don’t do lash extensions so I will speak to the owner and see what she says

In this case would it make a patch test invalid? X
Anyone can react to anything at any time. A patch test wont prevent this but it shows due diligence and ensures that your insurance will cover you. Without patch test or with an incorrect patch test your insurance cover might be void x

Hey all,

Ok so this is getting serious now. The lady is going to try and sue for negligence.

We have skin tested: I myself done it. I have signed the client card but stupidly none of us knew that we needed the clients to sign these also.

We have now changed this, and added it to our protocol. We have also changed how we are doing skin testing in the recommended way (as mentioned above).
Im nervous that due to the different skin test we have performed this may be an issue?

I'm getting legal advise Monday morning but, this lady continuously opened her eyes during treatment as there was a fight outside which she wanted to see. The therapist asked her numerous times to lie down and stop!!

Thankyou

Contact your Insurance company in the first instance. Your policy should cover paying for legal advice (they will supply details) and they need to be aware that a client may wish to make a claim. If she does, any paperwork should be passed straight to the insurance company to deal with.
At that stage, you mustn’t discuss this any further with the client or your staff and simply let the insurance company deal with the client directly.
You don’t need to worry about it because that’s what you’re paying them to do!

In a nutshell, to successfully sue, the onus is on her to prove that your negligence led to her suffering serious harm.
Some questions you might be asked:
What aftercare advice did you give her?
How long after the event did she complain about having a reaction?
What did her GP advise?

Formaldehyde is very strictly controlled within the hair and beauty industry these days (remember the original Brazilian Straightening solutions a few years ago that got banned more or less world-wide because they contained high levels of formaldehyde?).

Fact is, as @squidgernetball says, it’s perfectly possible to have no reaction to a chemical service the first few times and then you can suffer a major reaction. Providing you followed your training when performing the patch test, (doesn’t matter if another company suggests a different method), you’re covered.

The insurance company might choose to offer an ‘out of court settlement’ to the client. Some do to ensure there can be no legal precedent set and it can affect your insurance premiums in the future, as the insurance company won’t ever be out of pocket.
Hopefully though, they’ll see it as just another spurious claim.

Contact your Insurance company in the first instance. Your policy should cover paying for legal advice (they will supply details) and they need to be aware that a client may wish to make a claim. If she does, any paperwork should be passed straight to the insurance company to deal with.
At that stage, you mustn’t discuss this any further with the client or your staff and simply let the insurance company deal with the client directly.
You don’t need to worry about it because that’s what you’re paying them to do!

In a nutshell, to successfully sue, the onus is on her to prove that your negligence led to her suffering serious harm.
Some questions you might be asked:
What aftercare advice did you give her?
How long after the event did she complain about having a reaction?
What did her GP advise?

Formaldehyde is very strictly controlled within the hair and beauty industry these days (remember the original Brazilian Straightening solutions a few years ago that got banned more or less world-wide because they contained high levels of formaldehyde?).

Fact is, as @squidgernetball says, it’s perfectly possible to have no reaction to a chemical service the first few times and then you can suffer a major reaction. Providing you followed your training when performing the patch test, (doesn’t matter if another company suggests a different method), you’re covered.

The insurance company might choose to offer an ‘out of court settlement’ to the client. Some do to ensure there can be no legal precedent set and it can affect your insurance premiums in the future, as the insurance company won’t ever be out of pocket.
Hopefully though, they’ll see it as just another spurious claim.

I'm so terrified! Hate these kind of people, just after a quick buck!

With regards to the patch test, shouldnt you check with the manufacturers & the training provider on how THEY recomend the patch test is applied to make it correct?

Id also worry theres issue with an untrained (albeit proffessional hairdresser) applying the patch test without lash training.

As you havent recieved formal training in applying the patch test, could the client claim the patch test is invalid?

I trained with Nouveau lashes who teach to apply 2/3 false lashes on each eye with the products you will be using to test.

Another lash girl im friends with was taught to apply glue straight to the skin.

And a lash company I follow (but dont use the products) sell smallish tubes of glue & micro brushes to send to the client through the post to test themselves...

I dont mean to worry you, but I think you need to clarify whos applying the patch tests in future, not just how to do them xx

Edited to add more info xx

Latest posts

Back