hollywood nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't feel that because you're all voicing your opinion that this should be turned into a race issue which has been implied by another tek. At the end of the day, your only stating the facts of what you've seen and I'm sure you'd say the same if they were English. Speak your mind - that's what I say.

I buy some of my stuff from a Vietnamese wholesaler. They are brilliant and I get a lot of good quality gear for much less than other places. They sell OPI and Essie colours. I'm given a proper bill and they are very pleasant and helpful.

However.....................this might shock you all but I did know of a Vietnamese wholesaler who regularly sold OPI and Creative monomer under the counter. The big container (think it was gallon) went for £120. The irony of it was that it wasn't Creative trained teks buying it but non Creative. They obviously knew how good it was. Anyway, they've gone out of business now so what goes around comes around.

Hollywood nails were at Excel/Olympia last year. I went yesterday and judging by the crowds waiting to pay, they're obviously doing something right.

Let's remember that not everybody can afford to buy top quality products such as Creative as much as they'd like to. Of course we all know how excellent they are but if you're looking at a brush for £40 and a similar one for £10.....................it's hard when you haven't got the cash to flash around. I wouldn't touch their liquid and powder; by the way I was asked if I wanted a gallon for £8 and that was at Olympia last year. However, I do buy bowls, cotton pads etc because they are very good to use and soooooooo cheap.

Let's keep it real here. We'd all like to shop at Harrods but sometimes Matalan comes a calling.

amberrose said:
I went to Hollywood Nails b4 i was trained (didn't know any better) and the guys in there had nail extensions (not enhancements as they didn't enhance anything) and they filled them to a point, this is what they used to push my cuticle back with !!!!

oh... now that's nice! no, really... that's a beautiful thought....
why spend money a tools, when you can sharpen your own nail to a point to attack your clients' cuticles?????!!!!!! makes sense guys!!!:idea: :wink2:

oh my god!!! dont get me started on these 'salons'. i live in birmingham... whch seems to have at least two on every main high street. there are about 6 within a mile of my house!!!! theres Hollywood nails, American nails, nails4u, neon nails is another (am i allowed to mention names lmao? oh well!!)
In the last few months i have gained about 10 new clients from these salons. i carefully explain the facts that i am aware of to them, without pointing fingers and making accusations, and let them make an informed choice. and once they see the finished results of my nails compared with their huge thick acrylic nails from wherever they have been going they are dead chuffed. and im actually suprised that the gel lasts so well on people that are used to acrylic!!!

Bud said:
oh... now that's nice! no, really... that's a beautiful thought....
why spend money a tools, when you can sharpen your own nail to a point to attack your clients' cuticles?????!!!!!! makes sense guys!!!:idea: :wink2:

LMAO HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA thats soooooo funny lol. i think i should stick that in my price list somewhere lol.

Basic manicure:nails shaped and buffed, cuticles pushed back with my unsanitised pointy finger nail, hand massage (appologies if i scratch you with the aforementioned nail), nails painted in a colour of your choice.

buttonmoon54321 said:
im in crappy small town called peterlee near hartlepool-ish
x

I do my food shopping in Asda at Peterlee i'm just down the road in Easington Lane! :D

I've seen the Hollywood Nails in Sunderland, but have never gone in as it looks quite grubby from the outside and to me appearance is important when it comes to a salons, i suppose i class it as more hygienic if it looks nice and tidy and clean from the outside (welcoming).

I haven't actually heard anything about it before but it reminded me of one of those salons that was on Watchdog a while back!

Hi didn't know how to attach a post that i did before re this topic so just cut and paste it so sorry if its so long lol!!! But the name of the place where i went below was called "Hollywood Nails" and they really damaged my nails they were awful. I made the mistake of going there as they were cheaper but definatley not better. I feel strongly that places like this should be shut down as although there always busy, its because people/ clients know no better, its scary to think that they can just get away with what they do and call themselves professional. Surely there are rules about this sort of thing?? Can't anything be done annonimously? Anyway i'll let you have a read and look forward to your replies!!

Thanks for starting this thread, as when i started reading alarm bells were ringing in my head!! I had a bad experience with a mobile nail tech a couple of years back and it put me off having nail enhancements for quite a while. But at the beginning of this year i decided that i'd give them another try!! I asked about and it just happened that one of my friends had started having hers done at a salon near us and she said that they didn't cost as much as most salons but they still looked really nice ( I was looking at her nails about a day after they'd been done mined you), anyway i thought about it and as i was already feeling a bit guilty about spending money on my nails, instead of putting it towards the bills or my kids (Plus husband didn't really see the point of spending loads on them typical, lol), i decided that for what they were charging i would have them done!! If only i knew then what i know now.......
My friend told me that they didn't speak hardly any English, but thought i'll try them and see how it goes! Well i had them done for about 3mths and in that time i was spending more in petrol tooing and froing sorting my nails out. They felt really fake, thick and heavy and would lift after only a couple of days, plus a number of times they would over file my nails till they where red/sore. I tried saying look surely the nails should last more than a week , but they said it was the way my nails were, plus as they didn't speak much English, talking to them full stop was quite hard,( Can you see where i'm going here as in possibly its an nss salon)! I also felt like i was on a conveyer belt they air brushed the french tips ( which chipped really easily), so i'd have my tips put on etc... at one station then someone else would air brush them at another. In the end i gave up, it took me 2 1/2 - 3 hrs to soak them/ pick them off. Safe to say my nails were awful. It took 6 weeks for them too look summat like.

They also did the following :
technicians burn the nail bed, over-thin the plate, and even drill through the natural nail plate.

Additional warning signs though less definitive:

Low price of fills and full sets (MMA cost 1/3 of EMA)

Dust or ventilation masks used (many technicians use dust masks today who do not use MMA )

Unlabeled containers - technician will not show or tell the client what brand of product is being used

So again i just wanted to say thanks because i thought it was just my nails or that i wasn't looking after them properly, even though i coun't do much with them when i had them lol!!! The annoying thing is that there was so many people wasting there money going there every 1-2 wks, it might sound bad but i've told my friend and she's stopped going and she said she'll tell anyone else that she knows having them done there about what they're really like. Places like that should be shut down. Luckily i've gone to a better salon, it might be a bit more expensive but they last much longer and the quality is brilliant.:)

Sarah Lou said:
I have hollywood nails in my town, I also went there before I qualified, and I do believe they are an nss. They use drills, they cut my fingers quite bad and I have gained a few of their clients through their bad workmanship.

Hollywood nails is a huge chain of shops, they were also at excel last yr, how scarey is that!
Had my nails done once in this shop and never again... sore, painfull and cracked in places after a couple of days.. when i went to compain they speaker no english,,, never again ... they were dirty and nothing way sanatized i was seated straight after someone else and started straight away with the same equipment.. now i know better avoid like the plague...

Hi all I now do a few clients who went to Hollywood Nails the work is shocking my clients natural nails were all damaged and apparently they use a tip to get rid of any lifting personally I think its a bit of a scam they have going

Sadly I`ve heard this all before!!
Here in Australia "_______ Nails" are popping up like mushrooms after rain!
be it Hollywood, Classic, Glamour,Crystal or Proffesional they have absolutly nothing to do with NAILS!!!
They are not "really" interested in making your nails look any better or in the "income they get from the business" their only pupose (In Australia at least) is an IMMIGRATION FRONT!!!
Have you noticed that appart from "the owner& her Daughter??" all others change every month or so??? These places are laundries for Immigration puposes and unfortunatly they are owned and run by Asians ( no racist intent !!!!) and they really do give the asian techs that are proffs a very bad name as they do to the rest of us!!!
Unfortunatly in Aus as of today there are NO Guidelines for opening a nail salon so there is no way of closing them down, what makes it worse is that when you leave your nails look GREAT feel like crap but LOOK GREAT and if you`v never had them done before your none the wiser??!!so after 3-4 days when they start to lift you really have no idea what "should be happening" so
upon returning a line lke - You have very oily nail beds thats why theres lifting actually works??!!! and they keep coming back for more!!!! Ive not even spoken about MMA but isn`t it obvious???!!!!
Boycott BOYCOTT BOYCOTT!!!!!!! Sadly when we try to educate many peoplr think that we are trying to steel clients sad but true - I WOULD RATHER HAVE CLIENTS REMOVE THEIR NAILS AND NEVER HAVE THEM AGAIN THAN GO TO"___________ NAILS"!!!!!!!

These Hollywood Nail Bars are popping up everywhere in Newcastle i know at least of three around here, they run there business under different names not hollywood nails but i am assuming these would be NSS to as thre products are very hard and have done damage to some of my clients nail as well. I have had a girl crying to me about the product and the pain she went through to have her nails done and for weeks later the pain was still there.

Latest posts

Back