Home Beauty Rooms - How big is yours??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Jenny~

Reaction score
The question is in the title really!!

I was wondering how big your home salons were??

I have been mobile for a number of years and have worked from home in the past also.

I am now wanting to work soley from home (well, with the odd exception for a couple of clients who aren't very mobile)

I have a couple of options but wanted really to use our spare room as this would be ideal when children are in bed if hubby is at work (i'd still feel close to them if they needed me)

Thanks in advance for your input! :hug:

mine is about 22 ft by 9 1/2 foot. Its a log cabin. I still need more space though, lol!

Hi - mine is a single garage conversion - however I have a bit of extra length as it went under the stairwell, which I converted into a loo and a cupboard. I would prefer it a little wider but it is a nice room. I guess it depends on what equipment you need and what you are offering. A small room made welcoming is better than a large unpleasant one. Just to mention I did training with a well known electrolygist in the early 90's in a posh part of London and all beds were sectioned off with curtains! You could hear everyone else next to you. So do not feel diminished in any way if your room is small - just make it special.:)

I dont know mine by size but its classed as a single bedroom :) There's room for my couch, nail table (against the wall) trolley and storage x

I have a 12ftx10ft summer house I could use which is at the end of my garden...just wondering how appealing this would be in the winter months. It is fully insulated with electric and has a path running to it.

Our spare room measures just over 8ftx8ft

I will be doing treatments such as Spray Tanning (I have a cubicle but could also fashion something else so as to take up less room, or only pop up the cubicle when needed) Nail Treatments and a selection of beauty treatments which will require space for my couch

xx

I use our smallest bedroom, luckily it is ground floor, 13' x 11', use that for nails and waxing.
Spray tanning in out building, my room in there 8' x 8', but it is fully heated etc.
I would prefer a log cabin or summer house with rooms for me.
But it does nicely for now.
Lotsa luv x :hug: x

I think I may convert the summer house as this will give me more space....for those of you who have summer houses/log cabins - do you ever find it a problem in winter? as in clients get to your house, come in out of the rain and then you have to take them back out again to get to your treatment area?

xx

I have worked from my log cabin for 4 years in July, and never found it a problem in winter. To be honest with you, its more of a problem in hot summer as it can get very warm!
I dont have the problem of people coming through the house as they use the side entrance, straight into the garden. It really is the best thing i ever did, go for it!

I have a 20x23 feet main room and a separate bathroom/spray tanning room. I have the big room sectioned off into a reception/waiting room, a nail table and retail area, and my treatment room.

The room is in the closed in area underneath my house so it's ground level and separate from the main house. I know this doesn't suit Jenny wanting to be near the kids if they're at home though, but it is best for me.

I work from my spare room upstairs (I over mobile if clients are unable to manage stairs) - it is not huge by any means but I think it is cosy and welcoming. My clients always comment on it and love it. Have a look on my website - I have a couple of pics on it.

I keep my dog out of the way when new clients come and ensure everybody knows that I have someone coming should any of my family be at home, to date no member of my family has been spotted by a client. I keep everything spotless through the hall landing and stairs, doors are closed everywhere and once in the room my clients forget where they are.

Hope this helps and good luck - you will find what works for you I am sure

Thank you for all your input, it is very much appreciated! :)
I think I will use the summer house, I can always keep the spare room minimal so if the weather was really horrendous I could do the odd treatment in there, a lot of my regulars are friends (or very much like friends as i've known them for so long!) so i'm sure they wouldn't have a problem if I occassionally moved the treatment area due to bad weather!

xx

We had our double car garage converted into a salon. It is 360 sq feet.

i think you can make the most of any room you have available.

i do think that it is important to have a dedicated room though rather than a section of a family room if you want to portray a proper professional image and be taken seriously.though i do think this is acceptable if you are just practicing on friends and family.

at the moment in the propery i'm in i work from an upstairs room with an adjoining bathroom. like someone else mentioned the areas that lead to it are kept clean and tidy and other doors are closed. its very important to me that its a professional looking space.

at my previous property i had a ground floor space with a seperate entrance and this is the plan where i am now if we can ever get a builder lined up.

my room, which is in the process of being plastered & set up is very small :)

It had been a bathroom at some point in its history.

Big enough for my couch & some storage, but I'll be storing some of my stuff in another part of the house when not in use.

I cant wait til its done :):):)

Just in the process of converting a 10 x 8 foot summerhouse into nail salon. Will have my nail workstation and pedicure chair, also enough room for storage. Can't wait:)..xx

I pay approx £300 per month for a room rental but it has a lot of foot fall.

At home, I do have a lovely quite garden with an unused summer house. My partner thinks I should utilise the summer house in order to save costs. the house has electricity but no heating or sound proofing but is certainly large enough for a one man hand salon. There will be no reception or toilet though.

I am concerned that clients may feel uncomfortable and see me as a quick buck earner? Furthermore, the lane is very narrow and parking at my cottage is restricted ie no more than 3 cars.

I offer massage, spray tanning and waxing for both male and female.

Suggestions please. rosie

I think I may convert the summer house as this will give me more space....for those of you who have summer houses/log cabins - do you ever find it a problem in winter? as in clients get to your house, come in out of the rain and then you have to take them back out again to get to your treatment area?

xx

I have a dedicated room which is 20ft square and is perfectly sized for all the treatments I have offered (mainly waxing these days though). I have plenty of room to pull my waxing trolley around the treatment couch plus a dedicated nail area and tanning area. I do have two waiting seats but would like a separate waiting area so that I could have my clients closer together without worrying about overlap. Currently I have a gap between clients to make sure I have the time to clear and set up before the next client arrives. I am sure I could fit in another 4 or 5 clients in a day if I did have a waiting area.

I am considering de-commissioning our study which is next door to the salon and turn that into a waiting room.

My room is upstairs a spare room. Very small but i have my couch and storage in nicely, also a chair. I don't do nails or spray tans which is ok as there wouldn't be enough room.
It's light airy and cosy. I keep my bedroom and lounge door closed. I am going to get locks on the doors as one client tryed to look into my bedroom and i had nightmare getting her to leave as she wanted to look around the house, which i refused.

My room is upstairs a spare room. Very small but i have my couch and storage in nicely, also a chair. I don't do nails or spray tans which is ok as there wouldn't be enough room.
It's light airy and cosy. I keep my bedroom and lounge door closed. I am going to get locks on the doors as one client tryed to look into my bedroom and i had nightmare getting her to leave as she wanted to look around the house, which i refused.
Hi Hun,
Well the cheeky mare!!!
I hate it when someone thinks they can have a look around.......I always tell anyone who comes to my house and asks if they can look around ..... sometimes they have even been guests........But they all get the same reply - No - and it is not up for sale, that is the only time anyone can "Have a look around"I too have locks on my other rooms, but they had been put in for security prior to my home salon. When going away we always lock all internal door, so if we had a break in, they are comfined to one room.......then they will get caught by my alarm company contacting the police :lol:
Lotsa luv x :hug: :hug: x

I'm hoping my daughter's boyfriend is going to sort the locks out this week i need both bedrooms and lounge door locked. I have a small fridge for bottled water and disposable cups also a large bowl to wash hands etc.
The women who wanted to look around i once saw when i was mobile. She was very nosey then. She also got her husband to take to look for the salon her old therapist used to work in before moving. Alot of what she said did not make sense but i just let her get on with it, however after her coming to my house trying to look in my bedroom i thought LOCKS NOW lol

Latest posts

Back