How are you all really finding semi-permanent mascara!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you think it was worthwhile training in SPM & were you happy with the training?

• Yes I think it is worthwhile and I was happy with the training.

Votes: 39 43.8%
  • Yes Yes I think it is worthwhile but I was not happy with the training.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Yes I think it is worthwhile but wish I had trained with another company

Votes: 12 13.5%
  • No I wish I hadn't done the training

Votes: 37 41.6%

• Total voters

angelina221

Master Lash Tech
Reaction score
I know there are a lot of threads at the moment about semi-permanent mascara and a lot of them are filled with replies from trainers, distributers etc...., so I would only like replies from geeks that are not associated with any companies please!
So how are you all finding this treatment, how many repeat clients do you have, are your clients happy with the service and are you finding it lasts well?

Hi huni, hope you are well. I haven't spoke to you in ages!
Hmmm...Its alright. I'm not overly impressed. Bottom lashes don't last long at all. It doesn't last as long as the companies are claiming it does.
It takes longer than 30 mins to apply if you want to do a good job!
I wouldn't mind but it really annoys me that we have to find out the truth for ourselves after training. Why can't they be honest and just tell us how it is in the first place so that we can advertise and price it properly??
I've had a few re-book and one who asked me to take it off on the same day and she had it done as a freebie!!
I think clients expectations of it are too high because it is being wrongly advertised and is promising too much!!!

Out of interest which one are you using?

Sorry I forgot to mention I'm
Using Myscara

That's a shame I am hoping to do the course next month, maybe my expectations are too high also, I know that my clients will be.

I had MYscara done on training and my top lashes did last almost the full 3 weeks and bottom lashes 2 weeks, and that is how it is advertised 2-3 weeks.

I have had quite a few returning clients who have all been happy with their MYscara, not had anyone say they were unhappy with the results or with longevity of the product.

I am finding that I take around 45 minutes application time as I am a little "anal" lol.

Thanks for the reply Kylie. I must admit, I'm not overly impressed either. I don't think it's the next big thing that everyone thought it would be.
I've only done 4 full sets and one set of bottom lashes so will probably have to do a few more sets to see how it goes.
The first full set I did looked good. I did them on my hairdresser but she asked me to remove them after a week. I asked her to keep them on for another week as I wanted to see how well they wore. They did last but looked quite bitty.
I did another client who asked for them to be removed the same day. I do think this was because she was expecting more of an extension look. She did think they were a bit clumpy too. I did one of my lash extension ladies bottom lashes and they didn't last a week.
I then did my daughter yesterday and she has asked me to remove them today.I did another client yesterday and she was pleased but she is in the salon next week for a few treatments so will see what they are like then.
It's just a bit hit and miss at the moment. I have pics in my album of the lashes after 2 weeks and you can see that they are still on but looking worse for wear!
Will keep at it and see if things improve!

I suppose it's like every treatment your always going to get some that love it & some that dont like marmite!!

I'm glad youve posted this, will be reading replies with interest

Angelina, its a shame its not taken off as you'd hoped -can I ask which system you use (sorry if Ive missed it)

I've held off from booking semi permanent mascara course - almost parted with £500 odd for crybaby but as I was in two minds about it, thought I'd wait a little longer

I was also really put off with all the slating of each others companies by the distributors on an open forum - totally unprofessional :rolleyes:

I love the concept of semi permanent mascara as an alternative to lash extensions, just still very undecided wether to invest or not

I have had it on for a few weeks now, reapplying after 2 weeks. I love it! Maybe it's because I am a dirty cow and never take my mascara off at night, I leave it until the morning but I honestly can't feel it on and the perk of not having to take it off and reapply every morning is so great.

I haven't done it on anyone else as I am awaiting training, I have trained for Semi Perm Eyelashes and found this really easy, although I have seen some educators saying it is much harder to do.

Thanks Angelina for starting this thread, I too am totally fed up with so many distributors and educators on here now who hijack every thread and openly tout for business. It is against the commandments of the site and is getting out of hand now! :biggrin:

Sheila that's terrible-lol
I can be drunk as a skunk or extremely tired and I always remove my mascara. I might not remove the rest of my make-up but I have to remove mascara otherwise my eyes get sore.
Sarah I trained with Crybaby. To me they seemed the most professional compnay. The advertising is fab and you won't catch them on here slating another company! They are also the original innovators so that swung it for me.
The training was very good, I'm just not sure that semi-permanent mascara as a whole is going to be a big hit.
I will see how it goes but it was hard to get a true picture here as there were too many trainers etc.. jumping on the threads and either trying to sell the wares or slating each other which is very unprofessional as already mentioned.
I just wanted views from people not involved from any of the companies :biggrin:

thanks Angelina, I had £700 put by for training in either crybaby or k lawless waxing & intimate waxing - cant afford to do both.
I think I will leave it another couple months before making my final decision, although I'm guessing waxing will be quiet once summer is over

Waxing is never quiet! It's most salons bread and butter treatment!
It is most definitely the most popular treatment at my salon.
I'd definitely train in waxing first and then the money that you make from it will pay for your Crybaby training :biggrin:

I did MYscara. I paid A LOT of money for the training in hindsight probably jumped in too soon. It hasn't Been the 'wonder product' I thought it was going to be for 'me'. I wish I had waited... Done a bit of research and thought about it a bit longer and harder before I jumped in.

I think personally for me I expected a lot more from the product than I got. Clients too.

Sorry just my opinion I know some people are probably setting the world on fire with it but didn't happen for me... I did enough treatments to get my money back to cover my initial outlay and have not re stocked it!

Last edited:
Thanks Angelina, I think in my heart of hearts I knew I should be doing the waxing first but wanted to be part of this exciting new 'semi permanent mascara' craze that was being whipped up on salongeek few months back

However, unusually for me I decided to take a step back and wait a while and I think I'm glad I did:biggrin:

Hello!

I trained in crybaby and to be honest i feel a little deflated...I had really high expectations, the brand seemed really appealing...
Firstly I found the curlers that come with the kit rubbish... And i found the product hard to apply, its hard to coat all of the lash evenly from root to tip... I find doing the lower lashes really awkward, and i really dont like how the client has to hold the dryer... The product doesnt actually curl the lashes either, you have to create the curl beforehand (but thats not gonna happen with the curlers that came in the kit), iv found it much easier asking my clients to curl with an eyelash curler prior to the application, works much better.
Im just not really in love with crybaby right now... BUT im thinking its probably because im in love with semi p eyelash extensions, and im used to separating lashes and everything being neat and perfect :-s ...?!
However, saying that... I managed to do crybaby on myself and although it took two attempts, i actually liked the result- it did just look like mascara! And it stayed 100% put for 2 weeks, probably could have lasted a bit longer tbh... So its basically the application, i dont know, maybe the more i do the more confident i will feel in the product?

X

I know there are a lot of threads at the moment about semi-permanent mascara and a lot of them are filled with replies from trainers, distributers etc...., so I would only like replies from geeks that are not associated with any companies please!
So how are you all finding this treatment, how many repeat clients do you have, are your clients happy with the service and are you finding it lasts well?

As I mentioned in another thread it is not going great for me. Personally I think it is totally overpriced. I have an introductory offer of £25 but if I'm honest I think this is the price it should be or less! Although as many have said it is taking approx 45 mins and not the 30 mins stated so really it probably wouldn't be viable to charge anything less.

thanks Angelina, I had £700 put by for training in either crybaby or k lawless waxing & intimate waxing - cant afford to do both.
I think I will leave it another couple months before making my final decision, although I'm guessing waxing will be quiet once summer is over

I wish I'd gone with the kim lawless intimate waxing instead but hey better keep saving I guess!

Oh I hate the curler too! I just can't use it so I dug out my heated eyelash curler and it was broke! Going to get another lash curler and use that as I just can't get a curl with their one.
It doesn't coat all the way to the bottom of the lashes but you can put some of the mixture of your tool (the opposite end to the scoop) and stroke it on the lashes.
I also struggle with short bottom lashes.
I want some mini mini mascara brushes-lol
I'm going to do a couple more models and try doing the bottom lashes with some disposable plastic combs that I use for LVL treatments and see if that's any better.

When I did my daughters lashes yesterday, it took me exactly 30 mins so it can be done.
I did another client yesterday but her bottom lashes were very short and it took me an hour :irked:

I personally think it is a good product and that it has its place along with lots of other treatments, but it isnt the second coming. It doesnt do much for people with short lashes but that is no secret. Compared to lash extensions there is much less to go wrong, ie you dont wake up with lashes on your pillow. Not everyone likes the feel of sp mascara. A friend of mine absolutely hated the way it made her lashes feel so ridgid and got me to take it off after 24 hours. Other folk have loved it. It is horses for courses

Regarding pricing. I am mobile and my overheads are lower. I made a decision to charge £15 for it. The materials per job average at a couple of quid and it takes less than an hour. I am happy with that. Anyone charging £45 from my point of view is just being bloody greedy but then you get a lot of over inflated prices in this industry.

Latest posts

Back