How did you get to where you are?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jennifer

Reaction score
I was just wondering how everyone got to where they are at the moment? How many courses did you take and what kind? How long before you started working on the public, either in employment or self-employed? How many courses do you still take? Etc, etc, etc.

Not trying to mind everyone's business. I am just stuck as how to develop myself further. I don't have people to train on so I have to rely on courses for practise. Just don't know where to go. I have my l&p and manicure qualifications but am not confident and would like more.

Did my original training 16yrs ago got work in a salon 2 months later spent alot of time watching and practicing in salon to get my times and speed up.Back then in Australia not a huge amount of training courses so alot of appretice type training on the job.Spent close to ten years just working and occasionally get some rep coming in to do more on job stuff.The last few years have been much better,I've done basic training with ibd and also done my masters and looking foward to do my brisa gel training so I can get my grand masters cert.I try and do some sort of updated type course each year and have found these type of sites very helpful as for the last ten years I've been working from home and when you don't have someone else to bounce ideas or problems off it can be a little difficult. I started working in a nail salon then moved on to be the only tech in a beauty salon,moved to a bigger salon worked there for 5yrs ended up managing it then fell pregnant with my first boy and decided it would be easier to work from home been there ever since. Is it possible for you to get some experience in an existing salon or mentor with another tech near by?

Jennifer said:
I was just wondering how everyone got to where they are at the moment? How many courses did you take and what kind? How long before you started working on the public, either in employment or self-employed? How many courses do you still take? Etc, etc, etc.

Hi Jen, i did my first Gel course about 3 years ago but never went straight into nails as i didnt feel confident with what i learnt unfortunately at the time i wasnt aware of training like Creative etc and so did a 5 week evening course with a local wholesaler to fit around my full time employment. I then did some more courses but again only day or weekend courses but i didnt do any nails for about a year or so and only last year really put myself back into it but am still no where near as confident as i would like to be, this site has been my main learning curve i have learnt more from the site and geekettes then i have on all my courses! I started working on the public officially so to speak in May/June last year but have still got to build up a clientele as mentioned before confidence is a big issue x x

I did a UV Lite course last August as well as manicure and nail art, then went on to do the advanced workshops.

Converted to creative in january and have since done a shaping class with Ketan patel, 121 for L&P and perfect smile lines with Debs, been a model for a master class with nailnovice, Sat in with moneystails Georgie and practice, practice, practiced. I have been to all the trade shops and attend regular geek meetings and watched people like Samual Sweet the geek himself demonstrating custom blend manicures. I have read loads as well and am currently undertaking my VCTC qualification at college as well.

So I have been a busy little bee this last year and like a jiqsaw puzzle the pieces are all scattered but they are starting to come together.
x

Before I answer I will say - Please Please buy a Nail Trainer and start to practice on your new best friend!

Okay I trained with NSI Ireland in 2001 in acrylic l&p didnt do much until 2002 when I discovered trade shows, I met Amanda RJ hjead of training for NSI who suggested a 121 for troubleshooting. Attended workshops and built up a client base. Airbrush course with Melle april 03, then opened up from home still keeping my job in Travel. I also trained in Gel & Fibreglass in the summer.
Moved back to Ireland Mar 04 then took the plunge as a f/t Nail tech renting 2 tables in a tanning shop. I didnt do any training in 04 as I was busy with the nail bar but already this year I have done coloured gels, 3d acrylics & freehand nail art!
I've done a conversion course with Christrio and I'm looking at becoming a demonstrator at trade shows.

i started training 3 years ago. Firstly i did my mani/pedi course, then my advanced nail techniques. At the same time i did my level 2 beauty therapy, then i went on to do colour theory, nail art, then my creative conversion. Then i did a 1-2-1 with tracey leja, then my level 3 beauty therapy. Then i did all three master classes then onto my creative masters which i got last november. So as you can see ive had a busy 3 years! I now have my own nail and beauty salon, and work alongside my business partner and we employ another beauty therapist/nail tech. Phew!
Courses for the near future, are Brisa, and fibreglass.

Latest posts

Back