How do you deal with your current job and learning?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

innocence

Reaction score
I have just completed a nail tech course and as previously stated I have my assessment in a few weeks. I'm fairly confident with the theory side, silk, fibre glass and my gel is slowly improving. However I am struggling with acrylics and I am my own worst enemy a lot of the time.
I know practicing is going to really help but I am slowly freaking out about finding the time as though I am contracted to 15 hours with work it's flexible so they can give extra when available what is fine, however they keep putting me on till 8pm and by the time I've got home, eaten and everything I am shattered and there is no one about for me to practice on and I find the training hand harder to get a natural feel.
How did you guys work and practice if you where doing them at the same time? I've tried talking to work and all I get is the hours are what they are yet others seem to have the ability to say what shifts they can and can't do each week and all I'm asking is for the morning shift for a couple weeks rather than the late.

Also any training tips will be a huge help to me and I am totally new to the beauty Industry.

Hi, I used to work shift work (anywhere between 9am - 8pm) on the days I was working late I used to get up earlier than usual and get some practice in before work.

Nothing compares to having someone to practice on, but in the mean time could you invest in a nail trainer (or even a few practic fingers) for those times when no one is available to practice on?

It's really hard but it's all about taking any spare minute you have and pushing yourself to get better. Luckily, for most of us it's a passion so will be a labour of love :)

Good luck sweets, keep at it!

I work 9am-8pm including weekends. It's really hard to find time to practice but I just keep thinking...if I don't take the time to practice, how will I ever be good enough to leave my current job and become a nail tech full time! Set yourself some time aside. Do some food in a slow cooker for when you're working lates, so you can come in, have a munch, then set aside an hour just to practice even though it's late. Iv found it's the only way really. Like the poster above has said, nail trainers, practice fingers etc are invaluable for practicing! I can't wait for my nail trainer to arrive, squeeeee!! Xx

Thank you.
It's something I strongly want to do so I have the passion for it, it is just setting that time aside or making it that had me slightly worried but hearing how you guys did it and what methods you've used when not being able to have a persons to practice on has helped.
I'm just shocked at how my work have been, it isn't like I'm asking for less shift just to have others put on the last as it's always me and our shifts and hours are all flexible.
I have the trainer but find the nail provided bulky compared to real ones so I will look into ordering the practice fingers

Latest posts

Back