How do you decide how far to travel?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northern Nails

Reaction score
I have just received a call from a potential client wanting nail enhancements. However she lives 15-20 miles from where i am. I am in two minds whether to take the appointment or not.

The way i am thinking is that if i do her nails maybe....?? only maybe... i might get other clients from that area also. Plus, hopefully she and/or her friends etc may want other treatments that i offer.

Really don't know what to do. The furthest i have travelled is 10 miles or so.

My husband said it is too far...but i am thinking about it, the thing is i don't like to turn people away. Because lately it's either been a feast or famine as far as work goes.

what do you think?

Hiya,
I only travel within an 8-10 mile radius, That way I get more clients in a day because I am not spending an hour or so driving to each client. I personally wouldn't travel 20 miles to do a clients (Not unless they were paying extra for time and petrol lol)

It depends on the journey and how much you want the client.

If the journey is fairly quick with no stresses then 20 miles isn't that far away - through town at rush hour/school run would be a nightmare.

When I first started I took any and every job even if it was a bit further than I originally planned - it gave me a definitely view of what I was or wasn't prepared to do. If I hated the journey then I encouraged them to find someone nearer, if it was OK then I carried on.

Go, experience and practise make it worthwhile - if you hate it then tell her next time she calls that it just took too long to get home and see if you can help her find someone else in her area.

Trin
xx

Mmm...i could probably add extra on, explaining this to her as i am travelling further. i just hate turning clients away....i had to turn two clients away over the weekend as i was fully booked, i will try and squeeze them in if i can....but short notice AND a Bank holiday weekend don't go hand in hand!!

mamma said:
Mmm...i could probably add extra on, explaining this to her as i am travelling further. i just hate turning clients away....i had to turn two clients away over the weekend as i was fully booked, i will try and squeeze them in if i can....but short notice AND a Bank holiday weekend don't go hand in hand!!

I would take Trin's advice and go see if the travelling is ok for you or not.
And add a little onto the cost, I to always like to fit everyone in but its sometimes impossiable.

Thanks to you both,

I think i will take it and see how it goes. Like you say dependant on the travelling and such. You never know i may get a good follwing from there......fingers crossed.

it also depends on what treatment she wants, if it's a manicure then I would think twice, if it's a full set with regular rebalances then it's worth your while going every 2-3 weeks.
I personally go where the money is lol, I did however go to the other side of the city through bad azz traffic... never again, that lady found someone else to do her nails as I simply couldn't manage that on a regular basis, it took me agesssss to get home too as I got lost and took the wrong road (which is easy to do in Valencia :( )

My min call out within my area (10 miles) is £12.00 then if they want to see me and it's more it is 50p per mile extra per visit.

If they are out of area but can recommend a friend in their area for the same night I waive the fee, if one cancels the fee is back in place.

HTH

I always set my limit to 8 mile radius at the most (which if you think about it, is a total all round trip of 16 miles). I think anything that is going to take more than 15 minutes to get to is a little too far really. I hate turning down work but you have to draw the line somewhere 'cause if you don't you'll end up losing money instead of earning it.HTH

I used to do what you did because i never liked turning business away but.... the client i had was more hassle than it was worth as she expected me to travel to her inbetween appointments to repaiir lost or broken nails & it was a massive loss to me but i offered the service so i felt obliged to go. Happened alot & a complete waste of my time so... think very carefully about how you'd go about it yourself if you take on this client.

HTH's

xxxxxx

Yeah i can see what you mean. i think i will call this lady in the morning and give her a price for nail enhancements and explain that i will have to add a little extra to cover my travel. Plus i think i will tell her that if she needs me for any breakages these will be repaired at her regular 2 weekly appointments. See if she still wants me then....:wink2: . Probably not i expect. :cry: .

Will let ya'll know...Thanks for all the info

I too was in your position only last week. I usually travel 5 miles, however, got a call from a new client and it was 11 miles (22 round trip). she wanted a new set, like you I thought about it all day. Then after sleeping on it I called her back and agreed to do this one at normal price, but told her in future I would have to charge an extra £4 for petrol. She was totally ok with that, in fact after I did her new set, she was so pleased, she booked her next 3 appointments. Reason she booked so far ahead was because I am off on a 2 week hol soon (wish all clients booked ahead like that!). Also, she was so grateful I told her position before going out for 1st apointment, she respected fact I was so up front and honest and did not try to add extra on at a later date.

I do feel for you should go this time (if you still need trying to build your client base), but I think if you go in future you should tell her you will have to charge a little extra for petrol.

bekster123 said:
I used to do what you did because i never liked turning business away but.... the client i had was more hassle than it was worth as she expected me to travel to her inbetween appointments to repaiir lost or broken nails & it was a massive loss to me but i offered the service so i felt obliged to go. Happened alot & a complete waste of my time so... think very carefully about how you'd go about it yourself if you take on this client.

HTH's

xxxxxx

Hi l have to agree here, l took a lady on 15 miles out of my area, and when she broke a nail she expected me to "just pop out and quickly fix it" by the time l drove there, fixed it, drove home, my whole morning was gone. if l ever take on another l would tell them l can't do repairs till their next maintenance, xx.

Latest posts

Back