How Exactly Does Google Free Advertising Work?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs.Clooney

Positive Geek
Reaction score
I have placed myself on Google Map Free advertising but am not exactly sure how it functions.

For example, I have placed myself under Beauty Salons, St. Albans, Hertfordshire. Now when anybody types this into Google, the first page comes up with a map and about 10 Salons from A to J. The thing is, they always appear to be the same salons on that first page. Then at the bottom of the last google map entry where it says 'more results' it goes to show thousands more salons with some of the ones on the first page being repeated. I'm on page 15!

So my question is this..... are the google free ads rotational so that everyone gets to be on the front page of google maps at some point or is your location dependant on your web rankings or does it depend on when you placed your ad? How does it work?

Another question, where else can I advertise for free and is it likely to bring the clients through my door?

Thanks.

Hi, from what i can gather it is location dependant.

I dont know anything about the Google map advertising, but I think you would be far better working on optimising your own website so that when someone puts in Beauty Salons St Albans in Google, you come up on the first page.

There is lots of help on Search Engine Optimisation on Google etc. - using your keywords, reciprocal links etc. will help you no end.

I think the main issue is that it's a relatively new site, with only a few incoming links. The more links in to a particular site, the better its Google PageRank overall.
Posted via Mobile Device

I registered with google a few months back and it was great, had a few new clients. I did at one point receive a text from google saying something along the lines of my web page not performing well on google and I was to call a number. I presumed they just wanted me to buy an advert so ignored it.

I have only just realised that my advert has been "suspended"! I am not breaching any of the terms and conditions they stipulate so am baffled?

There is an online form to request "reconsideration" which I have submitted but who knows if i will have by web page put back on? :cry:

I registered with google a few months back and it was great, had a few new clients. I did at one point receive a text from google saying something along the lines of my web page not performing well on google and I was to call a number. I presumed they just wanted me to buy an advert so ignored it.

I have only just realised that my advert has been "suspended"! I am not breaching any of the terms and conditions they stipulate so am baffled?

There is an online form to request "reconsideration" which I have submitted but who knows if i will have by web page put back on? :cry:

That's weird! Possible cause could be "dodgy" search engine optimisation, e.g. lots of hidden text that people browsing your site can't see that is just intended for search engines. Google doesn't like that! Would need to check your site later to determine if that was the case...
Posted via Mobile Device

I dont know anything about the Google map advertising, but I think you would be far better working on optimising your own website so that when someone puts in Beauty Salons St Albans in Google, you come up on the first page.

There is lots of help on Search Engine Optimisation on Google etc. - using your keywords, reciprocal links etc. will help you no end.

Ta Fiona, I've read at length about SEO and understood as much as I can... a lot of it is gobbledy gook to me :lol:. I have been reading threads and posts here as well. I am also in the process of adding more links. Have to watch the budget though as many sites are for paid for advertizing, which is why I would like to know which sites will give me free advertizing.

Regards the reciprocal links... I am working at this too but many people only want to add you if they know your work personally, and I can't blame for that as their reputaions are at stake.

Regards the reciprocal links... I am working at this too but many people only want to add you if they know your work personally, and I can't blame for that as their reputaions are at stake.

No ones reputation is at stake.

On your links page all you need to put is that the following are links to other nail technician (for example) sites and in no constitutes a recommendation but for information purposes only.

I have loads of (hopefully) reciprocal links but I cannot say that I recommend all of them.

No ones reputation is at stake.

On your links page all you need to put is that the following are links to other nail technician (for example) sites and in no constitutes a recommendation but for information purposes only.

I have loads of (hopefully) reciprocal links but I cannot say that I recommend all of them.

Aah this is interesting, because I was thinking more along the lines of links directly asscociated with my offered services eg. I offer wedding make-up and therefore approached a local bridal wear shop for a reciprocal link. She declined because she said that she was not familiar with my work and was therefore, not prepared to have my link on her site in case I was lousy at my job, as it would ruin her reputaion. I thought 'fair enough'.

So should I also be looking more at beauty links for the sake of increasing my rankings, provided of course the services are not offered next door so to speak?

when you set up your profile/free account you have to type in information and if you dont put in the right stuff you dont come up first on the map.

For instance when someone types in a question like 'nail tech in St Albans' the search engine finds all those with this info. This means if you have not filled in the part where the search engines look, it wont find you.

Go back to your listing and look at the boxes you filled in and add or change the wording you typed in. Where it asks about 'Key word' for example, you have to put 'Nail tech, extensions, manicures, pedicures' etc. and list all the relevent words that apply to your business that people will ask for in the search. It might not be called key words I cant remember the other technical term lol. but I hope you get the idea.
I hope this has helped you :)

Best of luck.

So should I also be looking more at beauty links for the sake of increasing my rankings, provided of course the services are not offered next door so to speak?

When it comes to link the search engines dont care.

If for example you were on my links page and I was on yours, google searches, finds your link on my page then goes to another site and finds you again then thinks oh this site must be important so it gives you a bit more pagerank and so it goes on, if that makes sense.

When it comes to link the search engines dont care.

If for example you were on my links page and I was on yours, google searches, finds your link on my page then goes to another site and finds you again then thinks oh this site must be important so it gives you a bit more pagerank and so it goes on, if that makes sense.

Yep, perfect sense, thanks Fiona! I shall get onto it.

Latest posts

Back