How long do you wear your nails for manicure massage?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scattyfox

Reaction score
Just wondering you long you wear your nails for a manicure massage. I have just been round my sisters and she does Reiki and and indian head massage etc and she told me my finger nails need to be really short so I don't stab the client when applying pressure.

What she says makes sense but have just filed them as short as she said and they look awlful now. i am supposed to be a nail technician with nice nails not grotty ones so am very sad.

Tell me how you wear yours.

I have my nails long & don't have a problem with massage in manicures. I guess it depends on what kind of massage technique you use.

I hadnt had a problem until my sister said this or didn't think I had i am sure i would have noticed a client squirming in pain if I had hurt her but she did make me feel guilty. or is she saying this beause she is a therapist do you thinka dn they ahve different rules and regulations?

She probably uses her fingers more than you. I know I use my palms & the pads of my fingers when I massage, rather than the tips of my fingers. I guess that could be the difference.

I think by right (what I've been told on my beauty course) we should have them short and unvarnished if we are do perform massages on clients. However, I would relate this to a body massage more than a hand or foot massage. Surely, if you are used to your nails a certain length, when you are doing the massage, you wont stab them! My nails are fairly long and I still manage with hand and foot massages!

I am going to throttle her, she is probably chuckling to herself now as i have filed all my nice, newly grown, very proud of nails.

I was really paranoid as I have a lady booked in tomorow for a manicure and pedicure and didnt want to hurt her, she is used to going to one of these exclusive clubs and wants to find someone nearer home and i would like that someone to be me.

Oh well i can always grow them back again.lol
x

I wear mine varying lengths, lately quite long and I've never had any problems, in fact I'm usually complimented on my massage :D

I was also thinking about this earlier funnily enough, as I'm booked on an Indian Head Massage course in January and my friend said I'll have to have my nails short for that (I think she's right) but I've never scratched anyone will enhancements, I find them blunt as they are buffed to remove any sharp edges. However, I'm always scratching myself (let alone others) with my natural nails when I take my enhancements off - I had a massive scratch down my leg the other day from pulling up my trousers, there was blood and everything :eek:

Trin
xx

What your sister has said would be good advice if you were a holistic therapist instead of a nail technician....in saying that, I'm both and tend to wear my nails fairly long. When I massage I use the pads of my fingers/thumbs rather than the tops, so as not to scratch my clients (I would have to charge extra for that sort of thing...and change my profession:smack: ) and use my knuckles for deeper tissue work.

I think if you're only doing hand/foot massages you needn't be too concerned about the length of your nails...so long as you're not gouging flesh or leaving scratch marks you should be fine.

HTH's

Latest posts

Back