How quickly does spray tan take on the skin ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cazbar

Reaction score
I know you need to leave the guide colour on for 6-8 hours before washing off but I was wondering does anyone know how long it takes before it actually starts colouring the skin ?

I had my training last week and am still waiting for the manual to come through. I tanned my friend last night and she was honest and said it wasn't great. I think this is because I was trying to remember what I had done with the trainer but couldn't remember the whole routine.

My husband will NOT let me tan him but I could probably persuade him to let me practise the spraying routine if he could wash it off right afterwards and not be tanned. A waste of solution I know but I don't want to keep getting it wrong on my friends who then have to walk round for a week with a dodgy tan - not a good advert :eek:

Thanks in advance :hug:

i think it probably varies with the depth of colour, some say they reach full colour within 4 hours, i use ambermist and although it takes 6-8 for full colour, there is instant bronzer, thats temporary but even if you wash that straight off there is still colour left, on a couple of occasions i have sprayed my hands by accident:eek:, if you are just starting out i would recommend gloves.
if she washed it off straight away its likely she would end up a bit streaky.
also, you need to see your friend the next day, you can do a second aqpplication but i wouldn't do too more than that, did my hubby three nights in a row after my training, he was rather dark as i completely over did it each time, he probably had a double lot each time, bless:lol:

Why don't you practice on your husband with just water in your spray? It gives you practice of the routine without your husband getting tanned and without wasting solution. HTH

I was told at training that the tan begins developing immediately after contact with the skin.

I did my husband 1st with water just to get routine right etc but it's hard if streaking/missing bits is your problem as you can't see where you've been with water.

You could try adding water to a bit of solution to practice on hubby then you should still have a bit of guide colour but should not be strong enough to colour him much if he washes straight off.

Another thought - my husband was very reluctant to be tanned too as he thought it would look over the top but when I did him he loved it & keeps asking for another one now!

If he really is tan phobic - you could always just spray his body & leave out his face so he can cover it with clothes (might look a bit of a lollipop though!!) :lol:

The tan does start developing immediately but if washed off straight away would be VERY pale...hardly noticeable.

I've used tan removal wipes over 2 hours after contact with neat solution and had no mark.

What solution are you using? Does it have a range od strengths. If you used something very light on your husband like 5% then he could shower aferwards and I'm positive there'd be practically no colour

Think of it like an apple. once you bite in to it if you leave it it starts to go brown with the contact of air and gets darker and darker as time goes on same with a tan if you wash it right away he'll look no different. make sure you still use barrier cream on feet and palms though it might stick to these areas more.

Latest posts

Back