How Seriously Do You Take Your Skincare?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin Duffy

Reaction score
Reading through some threads I notice a correlation between the number of people who have trouble attracting clients for facials & the number of therapists who use high-street brands on themselves or are looking for "cheap skincare" products for in-salon use.

Interestingly, many are then outraged at the idea of using cheap nail formulations or high-street products on their hands, which makes me wonder why do beauty therapists who are supposedly trained in skincare not implement the advice they give their clients?

I wonder whether a lot of this comes down to poor training or lack of understanding of the skin & skin-care product formulation, in particular the quality of the emulsifiers, active ingredients, preservatives etc used? Thankfully as therapists we now have decent up-to-date learning resources at our fingertips to dispel much of the rubbish taught at colleges about skin & products, but I wonder how many of us are updating our knowledge & skills in this area. Anyone else have any thoughts upon this?

personally speaking if i were having a facial I would be asking which products they use and if they weren't very good quality I wouldn't book. I think alot of the time a skincare brand is one of the most expensive salon purchases for products which is why therapists are looking for cheaper alternatives.

Also if you have only ever done facial training at college I think some therapists dont know which brands offer what and what extras you can put into a facial (example scalp massage whilst mask is on)

I trained at college and have worked for a few very high end spas so got fab training on both products and how to perform even better treatments which my clients always comment on. A facial for me is a big treat and im very fussy and want it to be very relaxing as well as knowing it's doing my skin the world of good so I do my facials how I would want mine done which is:

* In a cosy warm room
* Candles lit
* A nice relaxing cd on
* A tidy clean room
* Good quality skincare products
* My therapist only talking if I decide to talk
* Heated flannels
* A long, good pressured and flowing massage
* Advice after my facial on how my skin looks and feels and also to know what has been used

I personally think a lot of people using the lower end products are using them simply because that's all they can afford. I also think that's a big part of why people are so much more fussy about their hands and nails, because it's more affordable. When I started up the skincare range I used was at least 3 times more than the cost of all of my nail care and enhancement products which was more in demand. I was lucky that I could afford the brand of my choice but I can see why people who do mostly nails and the odd facial would pick a cheaper alternative.

A lot of skin care products out there (high street and salon based I regret to say) - not wanting to get into mentioning any specific brands are actually totally inefficient and can exacerbate existing skin conditions. Its not just about quantity of active ingredients, although important - its also about the ability of the product to work below the epidermis.

I guess it totally depends upon what you are expecting from a product. Unless the product works at dermal level (non medical formulas will not do this) -then any anti-ageing claims really are false. However, if the client is simply looking for an effective moisturiser then there are lots out there. But again one size does not fit all so to speak.

There is a lot of rubbish spouted around regarding skin care products - not just in colleges. Expensive brands are not necessarily more effective either.

So I guess, in answer to your thread - I take skin care extremely seriously (my speciality is skin health) - emphasis on health. And I am regularly disappointed in the false claims made by skin care companies, and bogus 'dermal institutes' with unsubstantiated claims.

Just out of interest have you tried Priori or MD Formulations skincare? Just want to know your professional opinion on them, I find most of them very good :)

xx

Since I have been a member of this site I have read many, many posts from therapists that use a cheaper pro brand for their facial treatments yet use the likes of Elemis, Clarins, etc. for their own personal skincare nothing wrong with having a bit of a selection (I do myself) but I can't understand why a therapist would choose a range that they don't feel is suitable for themselves ?

I think it is very hard to sell facials and the products if you don't believe in the products.

With regards to training I was very fortunate to have very knowledgable tutors at college that all adored skincare so poor training has never been an issue, although I have been on some pretty rubbish product training courses in my time. IMO I feel that most of the problems comes from very basic one day courses that don't even scratch the surface, I would love to be a fly on the wall to see how on earth they cover everything.

I use Environ in the salon and at home on myself. I only put products on my shelves and my skin that I personally believe in.

When I left college I was not initially interested in offering facials as I had never found a product that delivered everything it said it would (being a product junkie I had tried a LOT). Until Environ!

I also offer Lavera skincare for it's range of products for the body, hair and men's range. My husband and father swear by the shaving cream and balm and having seborrhic dermatitis (sp) I have found their shampoo and conditioner extremely effective where a lot of others have failed.

I think in the salon situation it can come down to the cost of the opening order. While a therapist may personally like dermalogica/decleor/elemis etc, when it comes to setting up a room or a mobile round, these products can be unobtainable or unaffordable.

I too originally thought that facial products were a rip-off as they were rubbish in college and didn't seem to do anything in the salons i worked in.

I moved to a new job where they worked with dermalogica and the owner said i had to try it to sell it. i tried it, i LOVED it. It made such a difference to the way my skin looked and felt. I use it myself and in my salon.

As to the pricing issue, i find i have saved money because i was always buying something else, but never using it up because it was no good. They would only be £10 per bottle but overall i spent more.

As to the pricing issue, i find i have saved money because i was always buying something else, but never using it up because it was no good. They would only be £10 per bottle but overall i spent more.

agree 100% on this I save a fortune now

I use the same one i have always used for 20 years the one that a great dermatologist called Dr Beer recommended to me when he looked after my hideous acne . i am 40, no wrinkles and great skin. Its not always been that way though, as i said my skin was terrible as a teen and required 3 years of roaccutane it was that bad.

I think as a therapist it can be tricky, I use a great facial range in the salon. I love it. If I felt I could be taken seriously as a therapist i would use the one i use every day. But i dont think it would be appropriate.

I do however have the salon facials monthly and can vouch for them, but am always honest if anyone asks me what i use.

tigi

As a non (facial pro, I do nails, tanning & waxing) I have posted on here looking for a tech in scotland practically begging for a consultation lol
I am very wary about letting anyone do anything to my hair or skin, have heard so many horror stories, so wanted a fellow geek to help! Alas no takers for me I am using simple at the mo (I have tried a few salon products including samles from a demalogica face mapping at the beauty show, but they either dry my skin, give me blotches or break outs happen!) but I am still not 100% happy with my skin but am too picky just to walk into a salon, I want a geek lol xx

There is a lot of rubbish spouted around regarding skin care products - not just in colleges. Expensive brands are not necessarily more effective either.

So I guess, in answer to your thread - I take skin care extremely seriously (my speciality is skin health) - emphasis on health. And I am regularly disappointed in the false claims made by skin care companies, and bogus 'dermal institutes' with unsubstantiated claims.

The problem I suppose is that not even all dermatologists agree. I for example have a client who is a dermatologist & her opinions quite often disagree with those of other dermatologists, and even when I use reference works such as Advanced Professional Skincare (Medical Edition) by Peter T. Pugliese, MD (with advocation of botanicals & plant extracts) & other dermatologists like Leslie Baumann, Dr Perricone etc there is always disagreement.

Ultimately I agree skin health is the issue, and I should hope emphasis on "wrinkle creams" is a thing of the past as opposed to maintaining the skin's barrier function, reducing tewl, supporting skin activity & as closely mimicking the skin as possible in terms of structure & function. I can't see this can be achieved by the use of products containing cheap ingredients known to aggress & worse.

I can only speak from a personal point of view but I'm 46 years old, my profile picture is a good one, as in it shows how I really look.
I have always used good products on my skin, that's not just the creams, it's the make up too and when I've been asked I've pointed out that what goes inside of you is just as inportant as what goes on the out side.
When I have the money I love to go to a salon and have 'the works' and if I found the therepist was going to use cheep and cheerful from grab a bargin, I'd be out of there like a shot.
In reply to the lass who said she'd tried top brands from the shows and had break outs, blotches etc, I would like to point her to the information page of the supliers web sites, all the good ones will tell you that you need a complete course, that's not just hype to get you to buy more products, it's so that the products have the time to bring all the impurities out of your skin.
See what happens if you start drinking a couple of pints of water a day with a dose of aloe vera:eek: but stick with it and the results after a couple of weeks are amazing.
Sorry I've rambled a bit, but to finish:lol: yes, just like with nails or tanning, as a profesional or not, yes continuing education is the only way to look your best or be your best. If you're not willing to do that, well, get into an industry that doesn't change so fast. Or risk becoming known as cheep and cheerful from grab a bargin, with the face of a sixty year old at the age of thirty.:confused:

I can only speak from a personal point of view but I'm 46 years old, my profile picture is a good one, as in it shows how I really look.
I have always used good products on my skin, that's not just the creams, it's the make up too and when I've been asked I've pointed out that what goes inside of you is just as inportant as what goes on the out side.
When I have the money I love to go to a salon and have 'the works' and if I found the therepist was going to use cheep and cheerful from grab a bargin, I'd be out of there like a shot.
In reply to the lass who said she'd tried top brands from the shows and had break outs, blotches etc, I would like to point her to the information page of the supliers web sites, all the good ones will tell you that you need a complete course, that's not just hype to get you to buy more products, it's so that the products have the time to bring all the impurities out of your skin.
See what happens if you start drinking a couple of pints of water a day with a dose of aloe vera:eek: but stick with it and the results after a couple of weeks are amazing.
Sorry I've rambled a bit, but to finish:lol: yes, just like with nails or tanning, as a profesional or not, yes continuing education is the only way to look your best or be your best. If you're not willing to do that, well, get into an industry that doesn't change so fast. Or risk becoming known as cheep and cheerful from grab a bargin, with the face of a sixty year old at the age of thirty.:confused:

If I can find a geek to take me on I'll gladly give it a bash :) I drink alot of water, but never heard of aloe vera is it a tablet of drops you put into water ?:green: xx

I would absolutely love to use dermalogica but I cant afford it a sjust set up mobile but hopefully one day.
I am using products I trained with at college I stuck with what I know and know the products very well and can give great aftercare.

A lot of skin care products out there (high street and salon based I regret to say) - not wanting to get into mentioning any specific brands are actually totally inefficient and can exacerbate existing skin conditions.

That is exactly why online diagnosis is dangerous.

I will second the fab results of drinking a good quality aloe vera every day. It made such a difference to my skin when I started drinking it a few years ago.
I got out of the way of it when pregnant though is it made me feel sick so I am keen to start up again as my skin is not so good again and my mouth ulcers are back.

Jen xx

Personally I don't think it matters what you use on your skin, whether its expensive or not. At a salon i used to work at we done a Dermalogica evening, where we had a look at clients skin through uv light. One of our clients was using creme de le mer products & her skin was one of the worst!!

I always believe in cleansing twice, tone & moisturise. Exfoliating twice a week & using a mask once week, aswell as a healthy diet & plenty of water. My nan is 69 & she has done them basic steps all her life using a basic superdrug cleanser & toner & Oil of Olay moisturiser & she often gets mistaken for my mum!!!!:lol:

I use Salon Systems Thai skin care range as I am mobile & i don't want alot of stuff to carry about with me. All my clients love it plus I do too, I have gone from using Dermalogica to this & my skin hasn't been any different!! :green:

As far as skin care goes I use the same range at home that I use in the salon. It's worked wonders for my normally greasy and spotty skin and I frequently get comments on my "healthy glow" so I'm more than happy to promote it to clients.

When clients have a facial and we discuss aftercare there are some of them who don't want to spend the money on products and I will always explain the benefits of the products I use. However if they are not interested I always tell them to read the ingredients in their products and list which ingredients to avoid.

I also have a number of clients who swear by high street expensive brands (not mentioning them) which I personally know have harsh/crappy ingredients in them. I never tell them to stop using them but always suggest they check the ingredients so they know what they are putting on their face.

Latest posts

Back