How to do marketing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Violet Star

Reaction score
Hi Guys!

I dont really know what im going on about here :lol: But ive heard that its best to do marketing than advertising...So id like to know if anyone could help me or advice me on how to market my beauty business how do you do it?

thanks!x

Ok the difference between advertsing and marketing can be hard to define, but advertising is like standing in the middle of the town centre shouting "SPRAY TANS FOR A TENNER" and hoping to god somebody in the town centre will want a spray tan!
Marketing is about figuring out which people are likely to want a spray tan, figuring out where they will be and then getting your message to them.

So its about targeting your audience.

SO you need to get a huge piece of paper and some pens and get ready to brainstorm.

Think of just 1 type of client you would like to appeal to......young mums, Older teens, dancers, ladies what lunch (lol), you get the idea

Take 1 of these client types, you are now going to build a client profile....

Where would this type of client be, write all the places they might be found,
Then think of all the types of offers/services that might appeal to them.......

Then do it for your next type of client......

By the end of this you should have a comprehensive list of client profiles....And these are the people you need to get your leaflets, postcards and flyers out to and now you will know exactly where to target!!

A thinking I may do a tutorial on this at some point.

Hth

Ok the difference between advertsing and marketing can be hard to define, but advertising is like standing in the middle of the town centre shouting "SPRAY TANS FOR A TENNER" and hoping to god somebody in the town centre will want a spray tan!
Marketing is about figuring out which people are likely to want a spray tan, figuring out where they will be and then getting your message to them.

So its about targeting your audience.

SO you need to get a huge piece of paper and some pens and get ready to brainstorm.

Think of just 1 type of client you would like to appeal to......young mums, Older teens, dancers, ladies what lunch (lol), you get the idea

Take 1 of these client types, you are now going to build a client profile....

Where would this type of client be, write all the places they might be found,
Then think of all the types of offers/services that might appeal to them.......

Then do it for your next type of client......

By the end of this you should have a comprehensive list of client profiles....And these are the people you need to get your leaflets, postcards and flyers out to and now you will know exactly where to target!!

A thinking I may do a tutorial on this at some point.

Hth

Toni thank you so much You little brain box :lol:

Definatly do a tutorial your fab and now i know exactly how to market xx

Toni thank you so much You little brain box :lol:

Definatly do a tutorial your fab and now i know exactly how to market xx

Lol thank you chuck, in my pre Beauty Therapist days I was a Sales and Marketing exec for Nestle, I actually found it really quite boring when I was there but it hasnt half helped me in having my own business! :green:

Lol thank you chuck, in my pre Beauty Therapist days I was a Sales and Marketing exec for Nestle, I actually found it really quite boring when I was there but it hasnt half helped me in having my own business! :green:

God i bet it has...So if need help business wise ill come looking for you :lol: xx

Hi Guys!

I dont really know what im going on about here :lol: But ive heard that its best to do marketing than advertising...So id like to know if anyone could help me or advice me on how to market my beauty business how do you do it?

thanks!x

Word of mouth is the most cost effective means of growing your business.
Good old fashioned leg work dropping flyer's through letter boxes,under car windscreen wipers(avoiding and council waste removal vans)

Visit all your local salons that don't offer this service and see if they will refer customers or have you in once per week kind of thing on a profit scheme etc etc

Get down to the local fitness centre and offer a spray day to the owner at say £5 a pop..this will bring you in many new customers.

Offer an incentive "introduce a friend scheme" and even look in local papers for someone who offers mobile treatments that don't clash with yours and get together and tap into each others customer base..I.E. a mobile hairdresser etc.

There are many many ways you can grow a buisness...it just takes time and plenty of leg work.:hug:

Violetstar, Tonilee is right in that marketing is about tailoring your product, pricing and promotion to your target customers. However, advertising is just one element of marketing (i.e. the promotion part of it). You might have a brilliant advert which appeals to your target audience and elicits a great response but if all of your prospects turn up to your salon and they find out you charge £100 for a spray tan, or that your services aren't what you advertised, your marketing will fail.

I have a Masters degree in markeitng and regularly publish helpful articles in the articles section of this site. Also check out or subsribe to my blog for more free, helpful advice.

Hope that helps xx

Violetstar, Tonilee is right in that marketing is about tailoring your product, pricing and promotion to your target customers. However, advertising is just one element of marketing (i.e. the promotion part of it). You might have a brilliant advert which appeals to your target audience and elicits a great response but if all of your prospects turn up to your salon and they find out you charge £100 for a spray tan, or that your services aren't what you advertised, your marketing will fail.

I have a Masters degree in marketing and regularly publish helpful articles in the articles section of this site. Also check out or subsribe to my blog for more free, helpful advice.

Hope that helps xx

Whilst I fully agree that a degree in marketing is a great basis on which to build it is more important that this theory is put into practice in such a manner that fits in with available budgets for this element of your business.

Far to often theory doesn't quite meet financial availability for such things and it takes a true alterpreneur to maximize exposure for his/her business on a shoe string budget.

It is important that available funds are channeled into marketing campaigns that will provide the best return on investment and in the worst case scenario that if that campaign doesn't in fact work...for whatever reason.... that the failure and over expenditure doesn't in fact damage your business...there is always a "balance" to be found when spending on marketing.

it doesn't necessarily mean that without a degree that there is any reason why anyone cant ...with a bit of imagination,grit and sheer determination market their business successfully and in so doing demonstrate that they are truly alterpreneurs :hug:

In simple terms, marketing can be described as "the right message, to the right market, at the right time"

For example, you could do a leaflet drop advertising your waxing. This gets delivered to a lady who has her legs waxed regularly, although she does fancy a change of therapist. So she is your 'right market'. She likes what you say on your leaflet, so it's the 'right message'. However, she's just had her legs waxed so doesn't need them doing just yet. So it's not the 'right time'

But, if you did another leaflet drop in the SAME area 2-4 weeks later, you would get her interest on all three points, because she would then be getting ready for another wax.

You could do marketing to existing clients by sending them out newsletters, special offer leaflets, offering loyalty bonuses etc etc

You could do marketing to lapsed clients by sending them a letter to encourage them back into the salon.

You could place an advert in the paper, marketing a specific service as opposed to just a generic, this is everything that we do kind of advert.

hth x

Latest posts

Back