How to get clients in?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heather1992

Reaction score
Hi I'm due to start renting a hair in a salon next week, I'm starting off at one day at first because I just don't have the clients and will end up out of pocket after paying rent.
The salon in am at have specifically said I cannot do promotions and I have to charge their prices as they do not want each stylist to undercut each other and take each others clients however this is a slight problem for me trying to intise clients in and was wondering if anyone had any other ideas what I could do to promote myself and get myself some new clients please?

Hi
It sounds like they are only worried about price discounts but this is separate to advertising that you are now working at the salon.
Therefore you can carry on and distribute flyers, set up a client Facebook page, hand out cards etc. Probably best to inform the owner though to keep a good relationship going.

Strictly speaking if you are self employed then they can't actually tell you what to charge but if you are happy with the prices it might be the way to go because equally you don't want others to undercut you in the future.
Are you using their products or buying your own?

Walk in blow drys? Our salon started this and its great!

Hi
It sounds like they are only worried about price discounts but this is separate to advertising that you are now working at the salon.
Therefore you can carry on and distribute flyers, set up a client Facebook page, hand out cards etc. Probably best to inform the owner though to keep a good relationship going.

Strictly speaking if you are self employed then they can't actually tell you what to charge but if you are happy with the prices it might be the way to go because equally you don't want others to undercut you in the future.
Are you using their products or buying your own?
Thank you.
I have set up a Facebook page and have quite a few clients from this but I just wanted something that will appeal to clients without changing the price if that makes sense?
I am buying my own colours etc they have said I can use their products for a cost each month however I think it would be better to get my own as I work with wella and they use matrix.

I find it odd that they are dictating what you can and can't do. If you're renting space from them and buying your own products then in my opinion you should be able to put on special offers!

I could see the problem If you not took the other stylist clients but if the clients you get are brand new I really don't see the problem!
To stop this from happening you could have on the promotion not for existing clients.

Is there anyway you could speak to them about that and just do 10% off cuts something small so your not loosing out too much?

I find it odd that they are dictating what you can and can't do. If you're renting space from them and buying your own products then in my opinion you should be able to put on special offers!

I could see the problem If you not took the other stylist clients but if the clients you get are brand new I really don't see the problem!
To stop this from happening you could have on the promotion not for existing clients.

Is there anyway you could speak to them about that and just do 10% off cuts something small so your not loosing out too much?
I know I didn't think it would be a problem I just presumed every salon did the same but now everyone is telling me different. They said if I do a special offer every other stylists has to agree on it and do the same

We're all self employed and all agreed on our pricing to be the same. And when one of us runs an offer, 9/10 times we'll all run the same offer across the board.

The salon owner is just your landlord so can't legally impose an anti competitive clause requiring you to charge the same price as the others or prevent you from running promotions.
However, she's probably anticipating a minor revolt from the existing chair renters who have already got a full column and don't want to risk their client's jumping ship. Whilst that's understandable, not all clients want the cheapest deal so most regulars stick with the hairdresser they're happy with.
Just point out to her that in a salon that employs staff, its normal to have a tiered price list with the lowest fees charged by the junior stylist building up their column up to salon director. Some clients actively choose to pay a bit more because they feel it guarantees them a better, more experienced stylist.
If she's inflexible on these points, start looking elsewhere.

Could you keep prices the same offer a complimentary hair masque or hair cut with every colour with you only for the month of June as an introductory offer?

Could you keep prices the same offer a complimentary hair masque or hair cut with every colour with you only for the month of June as an introductory offer?[/QU
I like this idea will suggest it thank you

Latest posts

Back