How to give firmer massage?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Besmudge

Reaction score
Hi. I've got a guy who likes firm massage. Im already being as firm as I physically can. I use elbows, forearms and stand on a step to add further pressure. He said to me yesterday he wants 100% of how firm i can be and what % was I currently working at as he wants more!

Any ideas/techniques anyone can suggest to make it firmer? Currently do Swedish.
Thanks

He should go for a sports massage?

Agree with comment above - you might need to recommend that he go else where for a Deep Tissue, Thai or Sports Massage etc.
A classic, traditional Swedish doesn't usually contain elbow techniques, so the fact that you're already using deeper movements and pushing yourself, and it still isn't firm enough means that he probably needs a different style.
I don't know about you but I find that many people don't understand the different types of massage so sometimes it's about educating them.

I had one client who insisted that she wanted a relaxing, holistic treatment and was adamant that she didn't want deep tissue (even though that's pretty much what she are asking for as she always wanted firmer, firmer, firmer!!) so I suggested hot stones at the next appointment. I use the stones to work deeper in the muscles and she was happy with this. She's been a weekly client for 18 months now and it means I no longer dread massaging her.

Many thanks for your reply. I do hot stones but he doesn't want to pay more! As my prices are lower than a salon as I work from home i think he won't go elsewhere due to this. I'm knackered afterwards and he's still saying 'firmer'! I am working so hard with pressure using palms, sides & heels of hands, knuckles, forearms and elbows. I dont know how else to adjust the pressure to be firmer. Any ideas?

Maybe I will look at another massage course.

Many thanks for your reply. I do hot stones but he doesn't want to pay more! As my prices are lower than a salon as I work from home i think he won't go elsewhere due to this. I'm knackered afterwards and he's still saying 'firmer'! I am working so hard with pressure using palms, sides & heels of hands, knuckles, forearms and elbows. I dont know how else to adjust the pressure to be firmer. Any ideas?

Maybe I will look at another massage course.

I work from home and charge the same price at the local salons and I'm often fully booked a couple of weeks in advance, so please don't undersell yourself. I think the situation is quite simple - be honest and tell him that the pressure he prefers is more of a deep tissue massage. I would find someone local online that has good reviews and I'd give him their details. If after that he still chooses to return to you, I would just do the massage at a pressure you are comfortable with and if he doesn't like then it's his problem, not yours.

As you say, doing a deep tissue massage course would be good if it's something that you want to do. Many therapists charge more for deep tissue though so I'm not sure how that will work for him when he doesn't currently want to pay extra for hot stones???

As for making your pressure firmer, it sounds like you're already using good movements. Have your bed as low as it will go and use all your body weight. Working on your own strength can help, i.e. doing weights etc. but please know your own limits otherwise you'll end up hurting yourself in the long run.

Don’t be stupid and land up with a long term injury for yourself to not loose one client making your life difficult.
Take it from me who did actually burn out that waking up one day without the use of your hands is not a bloody joke.

You can’t be that bad pressure wise if he keeps coming back.
So keep what you are able to maintain and do that.

Latest posts

Back