I feel so useless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christine G

Reaction score
hi there all, very new to this site, but it's great, and the knowledge I've gained from reading lot's of the threads is fantastic....., however, I am struggling.
I completed the 4 day foundation course in July this year,(creative), and since then I have practiced, practiced and practiced until the cows come home. My problem is my smile lines ,they look very glum, uneven, and just basically NAFF.
Being a bit of a whimp, I tried someNSI products, and their simplicite range has been very good in enabling me to achieve rather nice smiles,but with a slightly different technique,,( where I sweep the smile line from underneath when I have applied zone 1).I know it's cheating, but no matter how hard I try, and haven read all the tutorials on smile lines, I'm still damn useless with creatives powders for smiling.
I have been doingmy mothers nails since July, and shehas no problems with lifting, cracking, or anything, and her nails can easily last 4 weeks, (I'm not always here to look after them for her), and she has no complaints at all.
Please advise me as I really do wantto continue my training with creative, but can't do that using another system.,,, I really am at my wits end.

Hi Christine, dont get too disheartened. Instead of spending money on different systems why not spend it on a 121 with your educator. In my opinion, you have trained with the best, they have continuing education programmes that will take you to a Master. A company that invests in ongoing training and product developement is a recipe for success. Good luck and let us know how you get on.
David
David

Don't give up, it is really hard getting those smiles perfect, l did'nt train with creative but am hoping to do a conversion with them after christmas, they do seem to offer the best training. you'll get there in the end, Angie xx

If you like to sweep, then you can sweep with CND too ... it is just better not to (and that goes for any system).

It's not the system making the smile lines for you, it is YOU. You've employed a different technique (less skillful and with potential problems) but if that works for you then do it with your other system... plenty do.

Hi Gigi,

I know this isn't related to this thread specifically, but I wanted some of your advice. I recently completed a course on extentions and manicure. After the two day course and only getting round to putting one hand on the other girl, I feel like I was duped!

I know from reading through this site that I have wasted my money and time with this training course I went on and I'm really disappointed. However, these things are sent to try us, and I need some of your advice.

I have started an Itec beauty course and have the option of doing an add on module for nails. I think this lasts 10 weeks. My question is, do I opt for this or do I opt to go on a creative course? What are the benefits? It seems as though everyone on this site has done a 4 day course and then go on to do 1-2-1 or masters?

I'm a bit unsure of which way to go, as after shelling out for my poor course and buying the kit that came with it, I don't really want to waste any more money or time.

What do you suggest?

Kind regards

Claire

Maybe this deserve thicko question of the day award :biggrin: but what is sweeping the smile, never heard of this?

You may have heard it referred to back brushing, it's when, after draining your brush of monomer, you go in with your brush behind the smile line to tidy it up and make it crisper.

Ahh yes, I do that too lol

thicko eh? with a name like scatty blonde? pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee

do you sweep (as it was quoted by an NSI trainer) with NSI products or other products? I know its not technically ideal, but I dont have problems with the NSI, ,,,,,,,,,you seem to be doing ok with them? yep?
By the way, IM a blonde too, except I don't feel scatty, just demoralised with myself and my efforts after so long practicing, and basically STUPID.
Thank you Sarah Lou,I'm relieved that an experienced tech like you uses this method.

Thanks David, Yes, you're right, I will treat myself to 1to 1 in the new year with a creative ambassador,. I so want to create a gorgeous set of nails.
There is hope for me then?
Have a great weekend, thank you ALL for your advice.

Hi Christine,

Yes I do sweep hun. Another way I cheat is by using a white tip and then using white powder over this. That way I get a perfect white smile.;) I dont do this all the time but it has certainly made me improve with my smiles when using just the white powder. Also gets me used to brush control and how to angle my brush.

Your not useless hun, it just takes practice and loads of it. sending you a hug:hug:

thank you Sarah,,,,, very encouraging words from you, how long have you been doing nails?
For some reason I feel that I should be using only creative products, but I really do like some of the NSI products. Are there a lot of techs out there who sweep? I noticed geeg didnt like the idea very much. However, what about the saying that there is more than one way to skin a rabbit? If the desired results are achieved and there is no damage to the natural nail, is it such a bad thing?
Have had another practice with creatives white today for smiles, they are getting better slowly, I think perhaps my mix ratio could have been a little on the dry side, it was like working with concrete!!!!!
Thanks for the hug, did a world of good, Take care, Chris.

Christine G said:
thank you Sarah,,,,, very encouraging words from you, how long have you been doing nails?
For some reason I feel that I should be using only creative products, but I really do like some of the NSI products. Are there a lot of techs out there who sweep? I noticed geeg didnt like the idea very much. However, what about the saying that there is more than one way to skin a rabbit? If the desired results are achieved and there is no damage to the natural nail, is it such a bad thing?
Have had another practice with creatives white today for smiles, they are getting better slowly, I think perhaps my mix ratio could have been a little on the dry side, it was like working with concrete!!!!!
Thanks for the hug, did a world of good, Take care, Chris.
The reason geeg doesn't like the idea very much is that depending how you do it, you can get neat monomer on the natural nail which can lead to 2 things ..
Overexposure and pocket lifting. Both large potential problems.

There are many ways to skin a cat and I am the first to say so. If you find me not being keen on something there is always a good reason why. If in any doubt, ask me.

As for your mix ratio, I'm sure you were taught what the mix should feel like and handle like and concrete is not it. :biggrin: This just proves that the product is not at fault .... you have to look to technique and practice and not expect to get everything perfect in the first year of practice. A 121 when you can will tidy these areas up for you. Have you done the Next Step Class?? That class is to help you work on personal problem areas.

thank you, I think I have got myself so wound up about my problem that I have blown it up out of proportion in my mind and convinced myself I cant do smiles. I have had more success today, and have managed to get my beads exactly the same as the ones I have seen in creatives video.
When I have been sweeping, I have been doing it with a completely dry brush. I dont believe for one minute that the product is at fault, I know how superior creative are, and I will get there. I am having a treat for myself in the new year with a 1 to 1, and have also booked myself on the next step class, I'm sure this will help me.Many thanks for your advice.

Great news.

Relax, you'll be fine.

Practice makes perfect, that is what i told myself. My smiles arent perfect but I have noticed a very big improvement since qualifiying in June.

Have you tried sculpting, I found this also helped me creating good smiles as you have a guide to follow, plus Im pants at blending tips lol.

Good news on the 1:1 im sure this will help you immensly, gotta go, gotta practice my own smilies:biggrin:

Just a quickie to say a HUGE thank you,,,,,,,,,after the problem with my smile lines, I just tried to relax like you said, and chilled out. The result? hooray, loveley smile lines, perfect pick up and bead control, (well I thought so), and, using all of my creative products again. After even 24 hours I can see a remarkable difference with using CND again on the finished product.
Oh yes, and I didnt SWEEP, just dried the brush and did a tiny touch up to make a crisper smile.
I really needed a kick up the ****side to give me another push forward, but I feel now that there is hope for me, and I will look forward to my 1 to 1 in the new year.

have a great day,
thank you again.

Christine.

Christine G said:
Just a quickie to say a HUGE thank you,,,,,,,,,after the problem with my smile lines, I just tried to relax like you said, and chilled out. The result? hooray, loveley smile lines, perfect pick up and bead control, (well I thought so), and, using all of my creative products again. After even 24 hours I can see a remarkable difference with using CND again on the finished product.
Oh yes, and I didnt SWEEP, just dried the brush and did a tiny touch up to make a crisper smile.
I really needed a kick up the ****side to give me another push forward, but I feel now that there is hope for me, and I will look forward to my 1 to 1 in the new year.
have a great day, thank you again. Christine.
You see, it is really just a matter of time, practice and determination and .... relaxing!! :hug: Well done.

It only gets better from here on in. There will be other challenges, but you will meet them one by one andovercome them.

Look at it this way ... I know technicians (lots of them) who cannot do smile lines to save their lives and they have been doing nails for years and years. So you are ahead of them and you've only just started!

Latest posts

Back