I got picked to bits yesterday! Confidence drained...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ADiva1

Reaction score
Hi Geeks

Just need a bit of re-assurance this morning. I've been working the ocassional Saturday in a biosculpture salon since last December.

There are 2 owners, a nice one and a NOT so nice one! Yesterday the NOT so nice one picked my work to pieces - it was good feedback and I have learnt from it. What she picked at will improve with practise. But somehow I feel like really down....! How would you feel if your work is examined in front of all the customers and feed back given there and then?! Other techies saying 'oh I did it like that last year'. It was in front of two of my friends who came to do their nails too!

This is eating away at me! I've wasted so many hours replaying the moment in my head! I'm just beginning to think that this might be a habit of the NOT so nice owner whenever I work.....

Talk me out of this mood geeks!
Much loved xxxx

oh you poor thing , i had this once years ago when i was hairdressing , i had qualified and one of the owners had seen my work at college and thought i was pretty good, and gave me a job, when i went to work there , the manageress was a total cow , she belittled me in front of clients, tried to make out i couldnt do stuff , ooh i hated her, she even made me wash her hair in my dinner break (she had really long hair , and i had to use borax ) adn she stomped round the salon wearing a home made badge that said 'i am the manageress' god she was a total power freak,
anyway i stuck it for a bit , then walked out , it put me off working in a salon again though, which is a shame but there we go ,
dont let them treat u like muck, maybe have a quiet word and tell them it isnt professional to question your work when your client is sat there , and if they still carry on , find somewhere else , hth love dee

ADiva1 said:
There are 2 owners, a nice one and a NOT so nice one! Yesterday the NOT so nice one picked my work to pieces - it was good feedback and I have learnt from it. What she picked at will improve with practise. But somehow I feel like really down....! How would you feel if your work is examined in front of all the customers and feed back given there and then?! Other techies saying 'oh I did it like that last year'. It was in front of two of my friends who came to do their nails too!
Much loved xxxx

Well I think this is disgusting! Obviously we all need constructive criticism, but not in front of clients! She should watch your work and then tell you her points quietly after the client has gone, you should have a word with her about it, but stay calm and be polite! This is not a professional approach and appears nasty, although she may not mean to be, this just might be her way.

hiya

did the owner tell you she was going to examine your work and give you feedback after that set of nails?

if not then i think she was totally unprofessional she should have examined the nails and given you feedback afterwards unless there was a problem that needed immediate attention.

yes we all need constructive critisicm but it should be with the intent of helping us and improving our skills, not to embarrass and undermine us!
one final thing, do you respect her and her standard of work?!!!

hope you are feeling better today though we all have off days and downers. keep at it

Samoyed said:
Obviously we all need constructive criticism, but not in front of clients!

I agree, this is a very unprofessional approach. The word DISCRETION comes to mind.

None of us mind if we receive advice and pointers along the way, but there's a time and a place for everything.

She was bang out of order. She should have pulled you away from staff and clients to have her say, in private. I had this with one of the teachers at my daughter's school - my daughter was fine about being bawled out but what hurt her most was that it happened in front of everyone. I had a word with this teacher who was getting a bit uppity until I asked her how she would feel if the headteacher did this to her in front of her colleagues - she shut up pretty quickly.

Have a word with this woman and explain how you felt and then ask her how she thinks that she would have felt had she been in the same situation - if she gives it any thought she should quickly apologise for the way she has treated you and it may make her think twice before doing it again to anyone else.

Hey Geeks

Thanks so much for reading my 'miserable' post. I feel better that I've let it out.
Dee, I LMAO about the hair dresser who made a homemade badge and pranced around the salon.

Nikki, nope I was not told that my work was going to be examined. I did my friend's work - then one of the other techies grabbed her hand and started giving me feedback. Think the NOT so nice owner told her to do this without me knowing.

I'll def have a word with this woman - I love what I do and I welcome constructive critisism but not in such an embarassing way.

Luv u all
xxx

oh my god..... I could write a book!

The last salon that I worked in, well, the boss was like the not so nice one (to put it mildly).

She wasn't too bad to begin with (well. nothing I couldn't handle), but as the time went on she got worse. It ended up with her shouting at me in front of clients - I was doing a manicure (the way she told me) and she suddenly jumped up from her desk and started shouting at me 'what about the oil?!!', I explained that I hadn't gotten to that part yet and she was like 'you're supposed to do it here and here'. I then explained that I was only doing it the way she taught me, but she turned it round to make it seem as though it was college who had taught me wrong and started to belittle both me and my education! I hated it. Anyway, I digress.

Needless to say, I am now a mobile beauty therapist and nail technician and am very happy :)

If you don't want to leave, then I would suggest having a quiet word and explain how you feel.

How awful, what an unprofessional, bullying cow! Unless I am actually training Kelly (my part timer) I would never say anything negative about what she is doing until she is on her own.

Had to do it yesterday when a nail biter who had a wonderful set of cannibalised hands had her nails done, Kelly applied the oil but applied it onto the skin. Even though I had been helping her all through the set because it was an incredibly hard set to do (and Kelly did her self proud, they were stunning nails, just hope the client looks after them now) I did not advise her about the oil application until after the client had gone, saying that she must always apply the oil onto the cured gel and not the eponychium due to the risk of cross contamination.

What this woman did to you was ignorant, unethical and unprofessional and you should advise her that you have no problems with her offering advice but that you would appreciate it that you said it when you were alone together.

What a witch! She must have made herself look totally unprofessional, in front of her customers too.

I defo could NOT work for someone like that!

Dragon!

Ambx

Hey Guys

Well I too have worked with some power freak managers/owners in my time, and so I decided to open my own salon.

If there is one thing to be it is fair, and constructive. But insulting colleagues work infront of a client is a big no no.

I know there are some bitches out there, but please dont loose heart, some of us guys are pretty easy going. And as for wearing badges saying your position within the salon - how shallow. The only difference between me and my employees is that I have to pay the wages. Nothing else. We can all learn from each other.

Regards

Try throwing water on her - hopefully she'll melt!!

Bunny said:
Try throwing water on her - hopefully she'll melt!!

PMSL :lol:

Unprofessional and unhelpful. Has it made you think about how you can improve your nails? I think not. Good salons are crying out for hard-working, professional technicians.

Cathy

ADiva1 said:
Hi Geeks

Just need a bit of re-assurance this morning. I've been working the ocassional Saturday in a biosculpture salon since last December.

This is eating away at me! I've wasted so many hours replaying the moment in my head! I'm just beginning to think that this might be a habit of the NOT so nice owner whenever I work.....

Talk me out of this mood geeks!
Much loved xxxx
Hi,

Haven't read all the other posts so not sure what the Geeks have said but mho is that she was VERY unproffessional picking at your work in front of clients.

Yea maybe your work does need some improvement but your on a learning curve and she needs to remember she was once too or was she born with an acrylic brush in her hand?

I say take it on the chin (i know easier said than done) and next time produce a kick ass set of nails and tell her to shove that in her pipe and smoke it.

last but not least remember practice makes purfect, practice makes purfect, practice makes purfect.....................................

Latest posts

Back